News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 391     0 

Shabby Public Realm

Was walking through Metro Square today (King and Simcoe), as I have countless times. I noticed for the first time that the plaza is not at all flat. I don't mean its on a gradual, controlled slant. But rather its really lumpy. Anyone knows why that is? When they built the plaza why did they not make it flat?

(Not to mention some of the benches are on a crazy slant)

Those ugly grey and blue bins in the parks really took a beating over the winter. This weekend, while biking around Sunnyside and High Park I reckon half were broken, had lids open or were tilted over.

Those ugly grey and blue bins in the parks really took a beating over the winter. This weekend, while biking around Sunnyside and High Park I reckon half were broken, had lids open or were tilted over.

Would it be nice if this was an excuse to begin replacing them with something nice? ( I know, I know.........wishful thinking).

That aside, it would really help if these were placed on concrete pads and had auto-open latch tying them to a strong bolted down bar in the rear.

Garbage bins on roads are all bolted to concrete pads.

The choice not to w/these was, I think the fact the old green wire basket bins in parks were not bolted down.

The oversight was that most of those bins were also removed over the winter, and that parks staff used to check then daily to see that they were upright and cleaned out, not so nowadays.

Some good news..........multiple east-end BIAs are set to invest in streetscape improvements in the coming years, and have all invested in new streetscape master plans.

Interestingly...............they all hired PLANT.

Beach BIA's plan is here:

Notes from said report:

Short-Term Projects:
• Boulevard Parkettes (NE Hammersmith Avenue/SE Lee Avenue)
• Wayfinding TO360• Wall Murals and Hydro Box Painting

Intermediate-Term:
• Art Gateways• Winter Stations Extension – Temporary Installations
• Fire Station 227
• Glen Manor Planters• More Boulevard Parkettes

Long-Term:
• Road narrowing and bump outs
• Bollard Removal and Harmonization
• Split Sidewalk Improvements•
• More Boulevard Parkettes

Parkettes on a number of flankages, beginning w/Lee and Hammersmith

New landscaping for historic fire hall

Last edited:
I just had the misfortune to drive down Rosedale Valley Road from Park to the Bayview Extension. I’ve never seen such an expanse of uncollected garbage - along both sides of the road its entire length. Given the number of homeless encampments along the way, it’s reasonable to assume most of the trash came from them. I wonder why we put up with this completely antisocial behaviour, and why we spend so much public money to make Toronto a such viable place for these people to camp out.

I just had the misfortune to drive down Rosedale Valley Road from Park to the Bayview Extension. I’ve never seen such an expanse of uncollected garbage - along both sides of the road its entire length. Given the number of homeless encampments along the way, it’s reasonable to assume most of the trash came from them. I wonder why we put up with this completely antisocial behaviour, and why we spend so much public money to make Toronto a such viable place for these people to camp out.

I have some patience for your views on public realm.........and some more on some of your fiscally conservative positions..............this post however............maybe among the most damnable I ever seen on UT and that is saying something.

Let me get this straight...........you see evidence of homelessness and your thought is that we are too nice to people, such that they choose to be homeless?

That isn't merely insensitive.......or even cruel, though it is surely both. It is so profoundly illogical as to call into question every single thing you've ever said or ever will say on any subject.

To go further.....you claim money is being spent to make the City more hospitable/attractive to people being homeless...........apparently in the Rosedale Valley..???

What did we do here, put in electrical camp sites?..............put in indoor plumbing?..........are we offering free delivery of food from food banks, shelters or local waste receptacles?

Just wow!

Listen, I don't think people should be out there camping either.............but maybe, if we ensured people w/mental illness could get their medications.......or addiction treatment.....and perhaps some supportive housing.....just maybe these people wouldn't be outside....in sub-zero weather no less (if they've been camping there the last few months)

Perhaps if shelters were safe places, where people didn't worry about their stuff being stolen (what little they have) and which offered any privacy whatsoever........maybe they would avail themselves of that help more.

Yes, the hillsides can and should be cleaned...........but perhaps those of you who wish to complain could talk to the right people; could use the right tone and spirit; and could then persuasively involve the media if follow-up were required.

But just wow.............

Last edited:
Reactions: DSC
This scrubby little patch is right across the street from the Royal York. It has some weird childish theme on the walls and a haphazardly placed railroad thingy with no explanation whatsoever. You can't really tell from the photos but the base of the walls are full of bottles, cans and trash. The inukshuk seems to be an impromptu affair placed in the midst of all the dirt and weeds.

Not a good look for people leaving the hotel and heading west.

Attachments

• 62081509_10157678978701490_4794425233215848448_n.jpg
    62081509_10157678978701490_4794425233215848448_n.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 236
  • 62081509_10157678978701490_4794425233215848448_n.jpg
    62081509_10157678978701490_4794425233215848448_n.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 230
This scrubby little patch is right across the street from the Royal York. It has some weird childish theme on the walls and a haphazardly placed railroad thingy with no explanation whatsoever. You can't really tell from the photos but the base of the walls are full of bottles, cans and trash. The inukshuk seems to be an impromptu affair placed in the midst of all the dirt and weeds.

Not a good look for people leaving the hotel and heading west.View attachment 192538View attachment 192536
It needs to be tidied up (call 311) but it will surely be a construction site when the NW PATH work starts.

It needs to be tidied up (call 311) but it will surely be a construction site when the NW PATH work starts.
They can clean it but it will remain a scabby patch and the garbage will return within days.

I don't know what the thought process was here - goofy children's mural, random railroad thingy, weeds, dirt...

What PATH work will affect this? It's over the parking entrance.

Back