News   May 16, 2024
 1     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 138     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 468     0 

Shabby Public Realm

Though I agree that they are ugly, Toronto Hydro puts up (temporary) wooden poles when they have to move powerlines from a street while construction is going on. The second photo is the south side of King just east of Ontario and the 'problem' is the huge development on north side between Princess & Ontario. One day the wooden poles will go and MAYBE the powerlines will be buried.

There are many Bike Stations on grass (or mud). I asked about another one a while ago and was told that their priority is putting in more stations as fast as they can, if they waited to get OKs for concrete pads we would have far fewer stations. The longer-term plan is decent station surfaces but ... I would vote for more stations over 'nicer' ones myself..
those are absolutely not temporary, unless you define temporary as 50+ years. Toronto Hydro has been putting those up all over Leslieville/Beaches for the past few years to replace existing wood and concrete poles which then take years to remove. At Queen and Coxwell they installed poles into the street in 2020 in anticipation of widening the sidewalk and seem to have abandoned the job

1688478210647.png

those are absolutely not temporary, unless you define temporary as 50+ years. Toronto Hydro has been putting those up all over Leslieville/Beaches for the past few years to replace existing wood and concrete poles which then take years to remove. At Queen and Coxwell they installed poles into the street in 2020 in anticipation of widening the sidewalk and seem to have abandoned the job

View attachment 489764
Yes, clearly not all temporary poles are temporary! This really is strange, does TH (Or the City) think that the LCBO block will be being redeveloped soon? (I see no permits/applications.)

Yes, clearly not all temporary poles are temporary! This really is strange, does TH (Or the City) think that the LCBO block will be being redeveloped soon? (I see no permits/applications.)

I passed by this spot not long ago and was annoyed to see the sidewalk work still not done.

Perhaps @nfitz who is fairly local to this spot might see fit to ask the Councillor's office what's up.

The LCBO is going nowhere, anytime soon, the store is being given a very big renovation this summer, should start by the end of summer (not sure if it requires permits)

no, it's just Toronto Hydro incompetence/slowness. A little further west the sidewalk still hasn't been replaced in front of the Westbeach condos either which I assume is part of the same project. But my point is that I don't think any wooden hydro poles including the ones around King/Princess are temporary, that's the TH aesthetic when it comes to streetlight/electrical poles, which is a major contributor to our shabby public realm.

no, it's just Toronto Hydro incompetence/slowness. A little further west the sidewalk still hasn't been replaced in front of the Westbeach condos either which I assume is part of the same project. But my point is that I don't think any wooden hydro poles including the ones around King/Princess are temporary, that's the TH aesthetic when it comes to streetlight/electrical poles, which is a major contributor to our shabby public realm.
The ones at King/Princess ARE temporary and are there because the hydro wires had to be moved from north to south side of King Street to accommodate the new construction. Of course, it will take them years to move them back (on concrete poles) but ....

Who’s responsible for derelict tree planters on Yonge Street? Don’t ask the city​

It claims the local business improvement association is responsible, but they deny it.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/th...anters-on-yonge-street-dont-ask-the-city.html

@Edward Skira will want to read the above piece.

I like Jack ( 'The Fixer) However, I do wish he'd pigeon-holed Councillor Cheng on this.....

That's not to in any way let the apathy of the bureaucracy prevail, but rather to better stimulate action from it.

While walking to and from Love Park on the weekend, could help noticing how poor the pedestrian crossing environment is at York and Lakeshore Blvd. There’s a lot of pedestrian traffic here yet the space and crossing is just so poor (I want to say “ghetto” as it sums up the reality and feel of having to cross Lakeshore Blvd).The same could be said for many places along Lakeshore Blvd.

IMG_0289.jpeg

IMG_0288.jpeg

IMG_0302.jpeg

Of note, the curb cut is tiny and the curb height is far taller than standard curbs.

Are there plans to make this a better environment or what could actually be done with this space?

Last edited:
While walking to and from Love Park on the weekend, could help noticing how poor the pedestrian crossing environment is at York and Lakeshore Blvd. There’s a lot of pedestrian traffic here yet the space and crossing is just so poor (I want to say “ghetto” as it sums up the reality and feel of having to cross Lakeshore Blvd).The same could be said for many places along Lakeshore Blvd.

View attachment 491237

View attachment 491238

View attachment 491226

Of note, the curb cut is tiny and the curb height is far taller than standard curbs.

Are there plans to make this a better environment or what could actually be done with this space?

The Gardiner rehab running west from York Street is due to happen from 2026-2028 according to current plans.

Any opportunity for rehabbing the intersection underneath is likely tied to that project.

The design contract has already been let.

Worth writing to the local councillor to see if anything can be done during this project for that space.

Every single shrub in these planters on Dundas between Regent and Parliament appears to be dead. Are they a city responsibility?

Yes.

No.

LOL, whoops

@DSC terrible person that he is, made me double-check.

Toronto Maps shows the planters within the private property line of the Condo:

1690551618683.png

Last edited:
View attachment 495669
Every single shrub in these planters on Dundas between Regent and Parliament appears to be dead. Are they a city responsibility?
These kinds of street planters seem to be something that the City has a hard time dealing with. They are often installed during a road rebuild or following a new development (as here); sometimes they belong to the neighbouring building, sometimes to the City (Transportation). In many areas , St Lawrence for example, the local BIA has taken responsibility for them and our BIA maintains the street flower beds on Lower Sherbourne (pretty well). There is no BIA in this part of Dundas East so IF they are a City thing then it's Transportation. I suggest you report to 311 and see what they say.

Can someone explain why every square inch of john street has a utility cut? Half the sidewalk bricks are craked, and the absolutely destroyed intersection was repaved but the crosswalk has sunken bits of concerte cracked and partially paved over inches away from the newly rebuild intersection.
track.PNG

Back