News   Jul 26, 2024
 56     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 533     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 447     1 

Shabby Public Realm

Passed through Toronto this past weekend after months away and I've got to say... Toronto really is ugly (but I still love it).

One thing that left me scratching my head after many months in Amsterdam was asphalt being used where utility work had been done under brick sidewalks. Isn't one of the benefits of brick that you pull them up, do your work, then put them back again?

It's a weird bizzaro thing. In Toronto when they dig up a brick surface they temporarily patch it with asphalt. In Amsterdam when they dig up an asphalt surface they temporarily patch it with bricks.

Thanks for keeping it real!

Yes a lot of the downtown streets have a podunk feel to them- shoddy streetscapes with pedestrian architecture. Bloor has improved considerably though, hopefully this spreads to some of the other commercial streets.

Yonge Street has got to get fixed! It looks especially bad now that the PanAm Games are happening. It's an embarrassment! Narrow broken sidewalks, cracked and potholed road surface, inconsistent and ugly lighting, lack of street furniture and amenities. It's ridiculous! I remember the first "experiments" that temporarily closed off the street in the summer. That was back in 1971 or 72. Over forty years ago!! Plans already exist that would see Yonge reduced to 2 lanes, the sidewalks widened and paved with paving stones, improved lighting and light standards, street furniture and the occasional "urban park" or square. This all could have been done for a fraction of the cost of the PanAm Games! It's like we asked the world to come to our city but we didn't bother to put on our clothes. It's insulting. I will start writing letters to City Hall (again) urging them to FINALLY FIX this mess of a street. Another letter to The Star wouldn't hurt either. BTW, I'm not advocating that Yonge Street needs to be totally gentrified. It's funkiness is part of it's (waning) charm. But… the street scape needs major cosmetic and structural surgery. Let's get on with it. Yeeesh!

In yet another example of this city's total cluelessness, I give you Roxborough between Yonge and Avenue Road. It was repaved this summer and already has multiple utility cuts near Yonge. There was a crew out this morning patching up another one. Given our freeze-thaw cycle, the street will be a potholed mess within a decade.

Seems like money well spent. People often say that Toronto is not a leader, but a follower. I'd say to them that we are a leader in how not to build and maintain sidewalks. We're literally blazing trails -- of asphalt -- across the city. We're in a league of our own, in this respect, with the rest of the world lagging far behind.

i would like to thank the conservatives and city council for starting to update our parks and parkettes. they look great and it seems like every third or fourth one has been redone or is getting redone in the last year. thanks stephen!

they're the ones in control of canada's tax money, i think. i guess all the MPs combined are, so thanks to all of them!

Well then! You can thank Stephen for C-51....not local parks. Well, not most of them, most places.
You can thank Stephen for a lot of things. Like ignoring scientists, sociologists, economists, and various other experts in their respective fields. Not local parks.

You can thank Stephen for talking absolute rubbish about democracy when he holds absolute power with less than a third of eligible electoral support. Not local parks.

In fact, I would like to thank him if he decides to vanish. Not local parks.

Has anyone here actually contacted their local councillor or BIA etc.? I mean contacted them without ranting, just regarding a specific targeted subject? You can't build Rome in a day but if you picked a targeted, manageable issue that is bothering you they actually acknowledge your concern. An example could be a missing aspect to the public realm on a street, the state of repair of something in the public realm on a street etc.

Ranting that the city is ugly and that the system and government are clueless and impotent is not complaining, it's moaning. In a way moaning is a kind of apathy. An apathy that validates the absence of investment in the public realm and worse, minimizes and criticizes the work of those few people in the public and private realms who actually do push forward this issue. Sure, people need a forum to vent but let's not forget that more change will happen if you validate, give credit and praise to those projects and those individuals who do make a difference. That is a better focus of our attention than a dialogue focusing on how far we have fallen from some fictional example of aesthetic nirvana.

Some cities implement public realm improvements throughout neighbourhoods like adding pavers, landscaping and ornamental street lights. Here in Toronto, improvements at the neighbourhood level are almost always limited to the main street only.

Ranting that the city is ugly and that the system and government are clueless and impotent is not complaining, it's moaning. In a way moaning is a kind of apathy. An apathy that validates the absence of investment in the public realm and worse, minimizes and criticizes the work of those few people in the public and private realms who actually do push forward this issue. Sure, people need a forum to vent but let's not forget that more change will happen if you validate, give credit and praise to those projects and those individuals who do make a difference. That is a better focus of our attention than a dialogue focusing on how far we have fallen from some fictional example of aesthetic nirvana.

I think the amount of kudos WT has received over their work is pretty clear there is an appetite for change (and I expect the same if the city revitalization projects such as Berczy are executed to a high quality). The issue isn't that - but how seriously public realm is taken by our myriad of decisionmakers. I take this again as an example:

upload_2015-8-11_9-9-24.png

Corner of Yonge and Dundas - that tilting, rusted pole predates Yonge-Dundas Square (nevermind the issues around how that project was executed), which is arguably one of the most high profile public realm improvement of the early 2000s. Is there a lack of awareness regarding the importance of the area? As one of the more widely used intersections by residents and tourists and yet this? After all the money that was spent to improve the attractiveness of the district? Like no one from Tourism Toronto noticed it? The BIA? The 3 successive mayor's offices?

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-11_9-9-24.png
    upload_2015-8-11_9-9-24.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 510
Last edited:

Back