News   May 17, 2024
 2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.2K     9 

Seven Words To Describe Toronto

We definitely need more pride and passion, and I think it happens when more people understand the city better, in a Urban Toronto or Spacing way. When more people in the city feel it, they'll put more effort in maintaining it, in the quality of new buildings, and in enjoying public spaces.

It's a good opportunity for us to find and express that pride, when we come across some hateful or ignorantly negative comments. When confronting the hateful comments, it's not about statistics or some balanced, academic viewpoint. Save that for more meaningful occasions. Realize that we've got problems that we're working on, but so does everyone else. We might as well emphasize the great side of this vibrant metropolis, in a thoughtful, witty, and well articulated way.

It's like people are ashamed to say them love Toronto, its ridiculous. We need to be forceful. Urbanity is one of the main components of this like you said. One of the main complaints is yet again taxes. In a big city you pay taxes, that's part of life. There is 6.4 million people here, someone must like it.

Last edited:
I imagine if Montreal or Vancouver was the country's largest city, they wouldn't get much love either, it's just part of the Canadian character to hate and envy the big guy.

The 5 Top Reasons People Hate Toronto

1 - Toronto is the top city in Canada, so it's only natural that people want to knock it down a few pegs.

2 - It's plain and simple jealousy. People see all the great things Toronto has and they wish they had it.

3 - People who hate different ethnicities, hate Toronto. I've heard a number of racists say things like I would never live in Toronto with all those.....

4 - Some people just hate cities. I hear rural and suburban people say things like I hate Toronto's crowded streets, graffiti, traffic, public transit, crime, too dirty and unfriendliness but those are not things specific to Toronto. Those are things almost all big cities have. These people don't hate Toronto, they hate urbanity.

5 - People are influenced by other people's false assumptions and lies. They have preconceived ideas implanted in them before they even come to Toronto. I met so many people, when I lived in Montreal, who had never been to Toronto but didn't like it because of what they heard and read. (almost always pure BS) In Canada, it's just kind of the cool thing to do. Canadians are practically pre-programed to hate Toronto for no reason at all. Many French Canadians believe that Torontonians will hate them just because they speak French but I've discovered, that when they actually come to visit the city, many change their minds. (like my ex-boyfriend did once he came here)

1 - Toronto is the top city in Canada, so it's only natural that people want to knock it down a few pegs.
It's mostly this, not unlike New York City south of the border, or other big/capital cities in most other countries.

2 - It's plain and simple jealousy. People see all the great things Toronto has and they wish they had it.

3 - People who hate different ethnicities, hate Toronto. I've heard a number of racists say things like I would never live in Toronto with all those.....

4 - Some people just hate cities. I hear rural and suburban people say things like I hate Toronto's crowded streets, graffiti, traffic, public transit, crime, too dirty and unfriendliness but those are not things specific to Toronto. Those are things almost all big cities have. These people don't hate Toronto, they hate urbanity.

5 - People are influenced by other people's false assumptions and lies. They have preconceived ideas implanted in them before they even come to Toronto. I met so many people, when I lived in Montreal, who had never been to Toronto but didn't like it because of what they heard and read. (almost always pure BS) In Canada, it's just kind of the cool thing to do. Canadians are practically pre-programed to hate Toronto for no reason at all. Many French Canadians believe that Torontonians will hate them just because they speak French but I've discovered, that when they actually come to visit the city, many change their minds. (like my ex-boyfriend did once he came here)

Your a girl? Cool! The post is also awesome.

It's quite easy for people to trash and bash a city or anything when hidding behind a pc.
When i was telling everyone in Montreal i'm leaving for Toronto i got a lot of "why toronto" comments. These comments came from many people who never visited Toronto and would go by comments they heard from a "friend's cousin's uncles's friend".
When i started explaining the reasons they all looked at me like i was some alien that just landed on earth.
However, most of those same people have visited me over the last 3 months and all have left with glowing reviews. In fact, a friend of mine will be sending his cousins from Argentina to visit me next week and after speaking with them, it seems that my friend has put Toronto on such a high pedestal that i don't know if i'll be able to deliver. After all, the visit will be in beginning of October.
"The greater the jealousy the greater the hate", i'm not sure where i've heard this. We can all agree that we've all been jealous to the point that we were hateful
I actually don't mind when people bash Toronto because i know deep down inside they are just jealous.

And to theterribleone, Toronto surpassed Montreal in population in the 80s. I believe it was in the early 80s but i have to open up some of my Montreal history books to confirm.

Last edited:
It's quite easy for people to trash and bash a city or anything when hidding behind a pc.
When i was telling everyone in Montreal i'm leaving for Toronto i got a lot of "why toronto" comments. These comments came from many people who never visited Toronto and would go by comments they heard from a "friend's cousin's uncles's friend".
When i started explaining the reasons they all looked at me like i was some alien that just landed on earth.
However, most of those same people have visited me over the last 3 months and all have left with glowing reviews. In fact, a friend of mine will be sending his cousins from Argentina to visit me next week and after speaking with them, it seems that my friend has put Toronto on such a high pedestal that i don't know if i'll be able to deliver. After all, the visit will be in beginning of October.
"The greater the jealousy the greater the hate", i'm not sure where i've heard this. We can all agree that we've all been jealous to the point that we were hateful
I actually don't mind when people bash Toronto because i know deep down inside they are just jealous.

And to theterribleone, Toronto surpassed Montreal in population in the 80s. I believe it was in the early 80s but i have to open up some of my Montreal history books to confirm.

Metro did. Toronto proper was at its former borders until 1997. The Toronto Metropolitan area did so you are correct

the "toronto is so boring, why would you go there?" attitude is quickly vanishing in montreal, and in some circles it's considered kind of churlish and outdated -- a kind of flipside to the "why go to quebec? i say let those fuckers separate" thing you find among drunk uncles in the rest of canada. most of my friends enjoy toronto, and there's a lot of crossover in our cultural worlds.

in the 1940s and 50s, though, montreal -- then the number one city in canada -- was not considered the fun touristic centre it now is. it was seen as corrupt, imperialistic, foreign-seeming and elitist -- and it kind of was. canada does not celebrate her first metropolis (whether it was montreal, as then, or toronto, as now) and never has.

Back