News   Jul 19, 2024
 770     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.4K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Seven ways to make Toronto a world-class city again

I just think Toronto is a big city in transition searching for an identity. We're not there yet. Again, I only hear this "world class city" talk from other Torontonians.

Really? Try looking at discussions in other cities and seeing what their pols say:

'We are a world-class city and [the 2024 Olympics] would just be another notch in our belt- - Mayor of Boston

'We are a world class city, and it's time we invested in world class infrastructure' - Mayor of LA, talking about a bridge

'Are we a world-class city, or do we just call ourselves that?' - Vancouver discussion

'Are we a world-class city, or are we just a bigger Omaha or St. Paul?' - Chicago

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ml+"we+are+a+world+class+city"&gbv=2&&ct=clnk

'Are we a world-class city or do we close at 10?' - discussion about extending opening hours in Sydney.

Yeah it's not just a Toronto problem. You hear about it more because you live here. Go to other cities and they are having the same discussion.

I think the main indicator of a "World class" city is they have enough confidence that they don't need to compare themselves to other cities. They just get things done their own way. World class cities are leaders, not followers.

I think the main indicator of a "World class" city is they have enough confidence that they don't need to compare themselves to other cities. They just get things done their own way. World class cities are leaders, not followers.

This was the point I was trying to make.

World class cities are leaders, not followers.

If that's the definition then Toronto absolutely should not be a world class city. Leaders make incredibly expensive mistakes, followers learn from and avoid failed experiences of leaders at almost no cost to themselves.

Most of the largest companies are what you would call fast followers. They never come up with an idea, but once it's proven they milk the heck out of it and kill the leader (company with the original idea). Toronto should be this, a fast follower.

Last edited:
Quick, show him the University fountain before it breaks down again. Let him see some world-class Toronto engineering and design.

Really? Try looking at discussions in other cities and seeing what their pols say:

'We are a world-class city and [the 2024 Olympics] would just be another notch in our belt- - Mayor of Boston

'We are a world class city, and it's time we invested in world class infrastructure' - Mayor of LA, talking about a bridge

'Are we a world-class city, or do we just call ourselves that?' - Vancouver discussion

'Are we a world-class city, or are we just a bigger Omaha or St. Paul?' - Chicago

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ml+"we+are+a+world+class+city"&gbv=2&&ct=clnk

'Are we a world-class city or do we close at 10?' - discussion about extending opening hours in Sydney.

A few years ago I was in New York City and they had signs up all over Manhattan saying something like "New York - America's World Class City". You always hear politicians saying shit like that on the New York newscasts. It's the same all over the world. I don't know why people think it's just a Toronto thing. I saw the same kind of boosterism in Hong Kong when I was there too.

Rob Ford thinks Toronto is bee-you-tee-full, so there!

Mel Lastman thinks North York is the greatest city in the world. I've heard him say it many times. In fact he thinks downtown North York is the top tourist destination in the GTA. I swear, that man is a genius or a psychic. He predicted right from the start, that little North York would one day become the most amazing city on earth and look at the glorious results.

Just a point of comparison:
Paris subway system imposed on Toronto map.

11742867_10155870201450473_3858045010169334889_n.jpg

Note the complete lack of subways in the suburbs? Paris doesn't handle their suburbs with inefficient subways. They convert to regional rail.

(may be wrong thread for this, but dunno where else to put it)

Back