• Theistic/Believer in a spirit but not necessarily religion

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Religiously Theistic/Follower of a specific doctrine or religion

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters

Brandon716

Member Bio
Reaction score
Who on here would consider themselves secular humanists? Or atheists/non believers in a God or religion?

Count me in.

Any other secular humanists ready to burn in hell together (as occasionally suggested by the other poll alternatives)?

Come on, reveal you inner demon (or inner Dawkins).

Any mod out there, could this be slipped into the poll section?

i read somewhere that the romans considered the christians as atheists.

i would have worded the poll like this...

- no belief in supernatural, no interference, no requirements. (.....) <-- :)

- belief in supernatural, but no interference & minimal requirements (deism)

- belief in supernatural, with interference & requirements (religion)

Secular humanist. I have yet to disagree with Dawkins on matters pertaining to faith. I think we all know how this poll is going to shake out.

Of course secular humanist is a dogma. It's wiki, but for what that's worth see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_humanism

i don't think so, though i may me wrong. unitarian universalism is a religion yet it is not dogmatic. i don't see how secular humanism could be a dogma. a dogma or doctrine is usually authoritarian and not open to criticism, negotiation or debate.

i don't think so, though i may me wrong. unitarian universalism is a religion yet it is not dogmatic. i don't see how secular humanism could be a dogma. a dogma or doctrine is usually authoritarian and not open to criticism, negotiation or debate.

I would agree, because the definition of dogma is normally a strict adherence to religious beliefs, not just a system of principles.

Its all about how you define dogma. He apparently thinks of it as a term that is just a set of principles.

this is interesting...

Winston Churchill was brought up in the Church of England, but was never devout. He once commented that he had made "so many deposits in the bank of Religion" as a youth, that he had been "confidently withdrawing from it ever since, never bothering to check the balance--there might indeed be an overdraft." In a short story written in 1947, Churchill referred to himself as "Episcopalian" (the North American version of the Anglican Church), which is an even more curious reference. Churchill's religion could best be described as an "optimistic agnostic." He wrote once that he was "not a pillar of the Church but more of a flying buttress--I support it from the outside."

source..
http://www.winstonchurchill.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=649

I airing towards being an agnostic or atheist, but I'm studying World Religions at university just to be safe. You never know, I might find something Christianity wasn't offering :eek:!

I airing towards being an agnostic or atheist, but I'm studying World Religions at university just to be safe. You never know, I might find something Christianity wasn't offering :eek:!

well, be careful. it's better to believe in no god than the wrong god. it's one thing to stand someone up but it's another to cheat on them. :)

Well, for starters demanding no prayer in schools, using happy holidays instead of Christmas, etc... are certainly systems of thought.

Well, for starters demanding no prayer in schools, using happy holidays instead of Christmas, etc... are certainly systems of thought.

demanding that you not be forced to do something against your will is not in the same category as dogma. almost everything is a system of thought. not wanting to be murdered is a system of thought. what's wrong with that? governments and institutions run by governments are supposed to be neutral.

Back