News   Jun 18, 2024
 248     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 501     0 

Scarborough Photographs: Then and Now

Victoria Park Avenue west side south of Lawrence approx where 1840 Victoria Park would be today --1959--2014

Nice pics. Interesting feeling...I grew up downtown and did not know Scarborough until my friends moved there in late 69 or so. Looking at these photos, the "Pioneering" that went on in Scarborough, I have come to realize was not all that long ago. Where I live now, north east Scarborough was mostly farmland just two years before my wife, my kids and I moved there in February of 1983.

And Scarborough was its own city....amalgamation had its pluses, I suppose...I just can't think of any. Ha ha.
Scarborough has a lot of nice places to go for a walk, or a hike lrookies. Not much in the way of heritage buildings and as you said , mostly farmland from the days of old. I spent my youth there and always found something to do , lots of good memories.

I may have posted these photos before, however they illustrate the massive changes in Scarborough between 1955 and 1962.
The diagonal street was once called Danforth Road - now named Painted Post Rd.

View attachment 25415

View attachment 25416

Always like looking at the old aerials Goldie. I want to download and make copies of all the 1947 Aerial photos from the Toronto Archives. I have a plan to make a huge map in the garage of them. Like most of my plans my wife thinks I have serious issues so I doubt if it will ever happen.

Back