News   Jun 26, 2024
 209     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 329     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 2K     2 

Scarborough Photographs: Then and Now

Nice find. There's lots of interesting things: Don Mills under construction. Work just starting on the Eglinton Avenue extension through the Don Valley, work started on the 401, just too many little things to mention.

It's interesting to see how bad the access was to Don Mills at the beginning. No DVP, no Eglinton extension, no Leslie extension & Lawrence took a convoluted route both east and west. There was only Don Mills road from the south. The early sales brochures promised only 10 minutes to downtown - when the future DVP was completed.

Scarborough Golf Club Road - After the storm.

Scarborough Golf Club Road by Mr T.O., on Flickr

Correction: These photos are Military Trail after the storm (Hurricane Hazel).
This is where Military Trail crosses Highland Creek - just above the Ellesmere/Orton Park intersection.

The attached map (1932) shows Danforth Rd. as it followed the path (of present=day Military Trail) towards the connection with Kingston Rd. at Highland Creek Village.
Danforth Rd. S. of Ellesmere became Painted Post.

Attachments

• Danforth Rd. 1932 (Militart Trail).jpg
    Danforth Rd. 1932 (Militart Trail).jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 694
Hurricane Hazel? That first photo looked like it had someone with 70s bellbottoms to me...

Correction: These photos are Military Trail after the storm (Hurricane Hazel).
This is where Military Trail crosses Highland Creek - just above the Ellesmere/Orton Park intersection.

The attached map (1932) shows Danforth Rd. as it followed the path (of present=day Military Trail) towards the connection with Kingston Rd. at Highland Creek Village.
Danforth Rd. S. of Ellesmere became Painted Post.

They could very well both be Military Trail Goldie , I just went with what was written below them. As for the date , I would stick with the 70's also judging by the clothes.

They could very well both be Military Trail Goldie , I just went with what was written below them. As for the date , I would stick with the 70's also judging by the clothes.

On reflection, I'm prepared to retract my "correction", brewster.
I now see how the bridge, curve and hill are all very similar on both Military Trail and Golf Club Rd.
The Golf Club Rd. photos would be where the road goes thru the golf course.

And the 1970s date is probably accurate, too.
There was a beautiful home right beside the river and bridge on Military Trail that was destroyed in a flood (c.1970).
No remaining evidence of that home today.

And I do remember at least one big washed-out-bridge flood in Scarborough (1977/78 or so?)

It's interesting to see how bad the access was to Don Mills at the beginning. No DVP, no Eglinton extension, no Leslie extension & Lawrence took a convoluted route both east and west. There was only Don Mills road from the south. The early sales brochures promised only 10 minutes to downtown - when the future DVP was completed.

I have a copy of the 1958 official Metro Toronto plan. It comes with a large number of maps. The thing that amazes me is even at that late a date how empty the middle of Toronto was. Development stretched up Yonge and Bayview in the West and up Victoria Park in the east with nothing in the middle. The Don Valley really isolated a major area that was quite close to downtown.

I have a copy of the 1958 official Metro Toronto plan. It comes with a large number of maps. The thing that amazes me is even at that late a date how empty the middle of Toronto was. Development stretched up Yonge and Bayview in the West and up Victoria Park in the east with nothing in the middle. The Don Valley really isolated a major area that was quite close to downtown.

It's surprising when you realize just how late in history it was still a pain in the ass trying to cross the Don Valley. In 1958, north of Bloor, there would have been, what... Laird? Some little street down in the valley called Park Road that really didn't go anywhere (and might have been out of action after Hazel; not sure), a one lane bridge at Pottery Road, a bridge not much wider at Don Mills Road, Eglinton Extension probably just freshly opened, a windy road down and back to a one-lane bridge at Lawrence. It wasn't till you got up to around York Mills and the valley got shallower that it the bridges got more reliable. That's in the east... The West Don's a different story because a lot of its crossings seem to be north-south and for some reason, York County and Metro took those more seriously. It's like nobody cared about Scarborough.

Ah... I think I've hit the nail on the head. :D

It's surprising when you realize just how late in history it was still a pain in the ass trying to cross the Don Valley. In 1958, north of Bloor, there would have been, what... Laird? Some little street down in the valley called Park Road that really didn't go anywhere (and might have been out of action after Hazel; not sure), a one lane bridge at Pottery Road, a bridge not much wider at Don Mills Road, Eglinton Extension probably just freshly opened, a windy road down and back to a one-lane bridge at Lawrence. It wasn't till you got up to around York Mills and the valley got shallower that it the bridges got more reliable. That's in the east... The West Don's a different story because a lot of its crossings seem to be north-south and for some reason, York County and Metro took those more seriously. It's like nobody cared about Scarborough.

Ah... I think I've hit the nail on the head. :D

There was an article in the Star a while back where Sam Cass said if you didn't cross the Don valley at Bloor you had to go all the way up to Steeles - I think he forgot about the Lansing Sideroad/Sheppard. And the 401, after 1956.
http://www.thestar.com/wheels/article/1044872--don-valley-parking-lot-hits-milestone

But - the other thing was the east/west concession roads in North York essentially ended at the Scarborough border.

Back