977     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 660     0 

saveoursubways (SOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey. That's our risk to take. We are pushing for what we think is important. If you disagree, feel free to start your own community organization and add to cacophony.
It certainly is your risk to take. No point in starting another group ... the current TTC and GO course, while not perfect, is reasonable enough.

If SOS cannot handle comments from those who are in favour of the SELRT, you are in serious trouble. What do you think is going to happen when your plan is in front of Adam Giambrone, Steve Munro, transit experts and pro-LRT residents? The comments are going to be far worse so you better start growing some thicker skin

So Sheppard only got built because it ran through the ridings of "powerful" Tories under the Harris government, but it's impossible for Sheppard to get extended because it would run through the ridings of "bedrock" Liberals under McGuinty. Pardon my political naivete, but that doesn't add up..

Sorry for not being clear, powerful and bedrock mean very different things. You can be a powerful minister and still be electorally vulnerable. Leech had won by 300 votes in 1995, while the election previous Harnick had won by 900 votes. By contrast Don Valley East and Scarborough—Agincourt have to be two of the safest Liberal seats in the province.

There is of course some self interest in the McGuinty government on spending money on Toronto, and to their credit they have. They do have a lot of seats there and many 416 representatives sit around the cabinet table. There is just less of an interest than in funding projects in the 905, which is part of the explanation of why York Region is getting two subway lines, and Toronto might only get the DRL as an unavoidable side effect.

Come to think of it, subways do well in every major city in the world

I've already drawn up conceptual map of the future TTC system:
WORLD-METRO-MAP-2005.png

(not really, stolen from Wikipedia)

If SOS cannot handle comments from those who are in favour of the SELRT, you are in serious trouble. What do you think is going to happen when your plan is in front of Adam Giambrone, Steve Munro, transit experts and pro-LRT residents? The comments are going to be far worse so you better start growing some thicker skin
If they're going to put up the same type of FUD you have I'm not worried. We can stand intelligent debate and poignant criticisms. It's ignorance and trolling I don't suffer lightly. Somehow, I don't think anybody else will stoop your level. Even others on here have not.

Who said we couldn't?
that was the purpose of this thread...

We know Giambrone, Munro eand others won't like it...
Its life and we accept it.

Like I say, we can agree to disagree...

Somehow, I don't think anybody else will stoop your level. Even others on here have not.

I don't think anyone wants to stoop to your childish level where you think subways should be all over the city. The SOS map is completely silly (i.e. seriously, a subway to MCC?) and most of your ideas will never happen! Stop drawing a bunch of lines on a map and telling everyone they all make sense. Stop arguing for subways when you know full well we cannot afford them at this time. Stop thinking (Ansem) the next mayor will fly in on his magic carpet, and quickly upgrade some of the TC projects to subways.

Last edited:
Who said we couldn't?
that was the purpose of this thread...

We know Giambrone, Munro eand others won't like it...
Its life and we accept it.

Like I say, we can agree to disagree...

You simply will not be able to handle a person such as Steve Munro telling you guys that your plan is not good. As a matter of fact, I cannot picture SOS having a healthy debate with Munro. In the end, SOS will just wind up attacking him, calling him an LRT lover, and ask why he is not employed by the TTC

Last edited:
I'm not so sure that a subway to MCC is silly ... it's not that different than Metrolinx's plan to build a frequent express train to MCC in a tunnel. Though I don't see the need for both.

You do not need a subway to run from B-D to MCC. An LRT could perfectly take care of that!

A subway to MCC is redundant considering Mississauga is well served by 2 GO trains, and multiple GO bus lines.

It would be better to expand the Milton Line to all day service, and build LRT on Dundas, and Hurontario.

Why isn't SoS advocating subways for the West End, specifically North Etobicoke?

Last edited:
I'm not so sure that a subway to MCC is silly ... it's not that different than Metrolinx's plan to build a frequent express train to MCC in a tunnel. Though I don't see the need for both.

Either way, that portion of the plan was put in as an "if Mississauga wants it". It's not an integral part of the plan, and it hasn't really been factored into any of the budgeting items that Toronto will have to pay. So if unless you live in Mississauga, you shouldn't really be complaining about the expense, seeing as how it won't be your city paying for it anyways.

And I find it kind of funny that you would dismiss the entire plan as a 'fantasy plan' a) based on 1 line, and b) despite the fact that we have repeatedly proven (and even posted in this group!) that a substantial portion of our plan can be built for the same price as TC.

And just to clarify, this is a response to Juan, not you nfitz, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back