News   Jul 08, 2024
 391     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 635     0 

Sam's Sign and the Yonge Street Heritage Zeitgeist

My age group as in 18-22

It is a fine line though. I am a few months shy of 26 and the sign still speaks to my generation, and I know many people who worked their first job or bought their first album at Sam's. While the cutoff seems to be those younger than 23, many people older than that have fond, if not formative memories of the place. Does the sign belong on this unique specimen of modern architecture? No, not at all. Would it fit in to the redeveloped streetscape? Probably not. But when people say the sign shouldn't be preserved in any way, I wonder why someone would hope for the destruction of a sign despite the fact that many people clearly want it to live on. I understand why it probably will never be installed on the Ryerson building, but if they needlessly destroy the thing, I will be goddamn angry.

I'm 26 and I want to see the Sam sign resurrected/restored or otherwise displayed somewhere. Also, the day Zanzibar and its signage goes is the day this part of Yonge gets just that much more boring. So many people here a borderline masturbatory over the idea of having some bleak, characterless and streamlined outdoor mall of a street. The grit (and remaining heritage stock) is about the only thing keeping downtown Yonge from looking like a stripmall in Newmarket.

My age group as in 18-22, the average age group of those attending Ryerson. Think about it, the sign was taken down five years ago. The current fourth years at Ryerson moved to Toronto when the sign was already taken down. The generation under 22, and the upcoming generation will mostly be unaware of the sign. So yes, I can confidently speak for my age group.

I certainly don't feel that way (going back to the generation discussion) because those my age and those younger than me have no emotional attachment to that sign. Just from hearing talk around campus, most students don't really care about Ryerson bringing back the sign. The only ones who are making a fuss about it are those who can't let go of the "old Yonge Street" image. Nostalgia is playing too big of a part in this argument.

Though technically, would those feeling so couldn't-care-less disconnected really have emotional attachment to *anything*, uh, real-or-potential-heritage-wise from before their time? I mean, really: when you think of it, they probably wouldn't think two ways or another if any of the Ryerson zone's existing "heritage" properties like Oakham house--or, for that matter, the Empress/Edison block, had it not met its unfortunate fate--got EIFS'd-up. At least, not unless prompted--and even there, who knows. A heritage ignoramus is a heritage ignoramus, whether they're 18-22 or 38-42 or 58-62.

But re other "iconic" neon/lit-up-signage in Toronto: there's Honest Ed's, of course; there's CHUM (now transplanted to Richmond & Duncan); there's the El Mocambo; and other vanishing bits and pieces (Roncy's been particularly prone to neon being lionized at death's door: the Revue canopy, the Brighton, the Edgewater, Venus Florists--and the latter's been internally resurrected.)

I agree that there's probably been too much emotionalism in the case for the Sam's sign; indeed, in whatever supposed 70s/80s/90s "golden age" it tended to (rightly) get lost in the Yonge St Strip maw--well, it didn't jump out at you like Honest Ed's--and it only became a domineering presence once it moved next door and into the CIBC and neighbours like A&A's vanished.

And as for Zanzibar, that's an odd case, because only the comparatively prosaic vertical pylon is "of age"; the rest of the razzle-dazzle, gold lame tile finish and all, actually dates from around Y2K and, I'd argue, was motivated out of BIA-era pride, i.e. it's *already* a conscious tribute to Yonge's mythic neon-draped past, and was perhaps even meant as a BIA-style cue for others to follow suit. (IIRC the Zanzibar's owner has long been a Downtown Yonge BIA fixture)

I think as Torontonians, we can get deluded how tacky Yonge Street looks. A lot of my buds come into town and can't believe such crummy retail and old buildings exist in such a prime central downtown location. The neon signs certainly didn't help for me. For example, even though the Zanzibar sign is very well known and a prime landmark on Yonge, I still hate it there for making one of our prime streets in Toronto look helpless.

So yes, I wouldn't mind it looking like a stripmall in Newmarket, because it sure would look 10x better than the tacky shops and old buildings that currently stand along it.

Last edited:
I'm 26 and I want to see the Sam sign resurrected/restored or otherwise displayed somewhere. Also, the day Zanzibar and its signage goes is the day this part of Yonge gets just that much more boring. So many people here a borderline masturbatory over the idea of having some bleak, characterless and streamlined outdoor mall of a street. The grit (and remaining heritage stock) is about the only thing keeping downtown Yonge from looking like a stripmall in Newmarket.

25 here, former Ryerson student, and I can care less about the sign. It wasn't the sign that made Sam's special. The sign is nothing but a billboard to me. The business is gone, and there is no longer a need for the sign. I prefer the Ryerson solution to honouring Sam the Record Man... That being said, if someone were to put money into it, and pay to have the sign installed somewhere on 10 Dundas (Metropolis), I would be happy to see that.

Actually that stupid media tower above Guess would have been perfect - ready made round space that would seem just right for that purpose (plus it can accommodate one on each side).

AoD

25 here, former Ryerson student, and I can care less about the sign.
How much less could you care?

That being said, if someone were to put money into it, and pay to have the sign installed somewhere on 10 Dundas (Metropolis), I would be happy to see that.

That being said, Ryerson agreed to do just that to get the land, and then went ahead without intending to honour that agreement.

How much less could you care?

That being said, Ryerson agreed to do just that to get the land, and then went ahead without intending to honour that agreement.

LOL... Couldn't*

Ryerson agreed to do just that because it seemed feasible at the time. The site was a prime spot for development and would have been snapped up in an instant if Ryerson didn't move immediately. It sucks that they didn't look into the cost of refurbishing and remounting the signs before making an offer to purchase the site, but time was not on their side.

I don't believe for a second that it was their intention to back down from that agreement. Things just didn't work out as planned.

I think as Torontonians, we can get deluded how tacky Yonge Street looks. A lot of my buds come into town and can't believe such crummy retail and old buildings exist in such a prime central downtown location. The neon signs certainly didn't help for me. For example, even though the Zanzibar sign is very well known and a prime landmark on Yonge, I still hate it there for making one of our prime streets in Toronto look helpless.

So yes, I wouldn't mind it looking like a stripmall in Newmarket, because it sure would look 10x better than the tacky shops and old buildings that currently stand along it.

Of course Yonge St looks "tacky" to young suburbanites visiting the big city. But once Walmart or Target sets up shop on Yonge, those independent non chain crummy retail shops and old buildings, will be replaced by even more American chain stores and corporate restaurants. Making Yonge st " a prime shopping destination" Visitors from Vaughan and Newmarket will feel right at home ;)

^^ Yep, only a true suburbanite would say something like that and want to turn Yonge Street into a generic, suburban, shopping mall. Why not just stay in the burbs if you like it that much and leave the tacky, old, crummy buildings to downtowners, who appreciate them. I don't want to see Yonge Street turned into Scarborough Town Centre two. I guess that explains your opinion on the Sams sign too. It's old and tacky, so get rid of it but throwing up an Old Navy Store across the street, well that's amazing! (nothin' tacky about that)

LOL... Couldn't*

Ryerson agreed to do just that because it seemed feasible at the time. The site was a prime spot for development and would have been snapped up in an instant if Ryerson didn't move immediately. It sucks that they didn't look into the cost of refurbishing and remounting the signs before making an offer to purchase the site, but time was not on their side.

I don't believe for a second that it was their intention to back down from that agreement. Things just didn't work out as planned.

This is what bothers me the most about this entire debacle. Ryerson has signed documents that they are to preserve the sign, place it on the new Student Centre, and if that is impossible, find a reasonable, nearby location to place the sign.

Things just didnt' work out as planned is not a valid excuse. I also might not feel like paying my credit card bills as 'things didn't work out as planned - I'm broke'. But can I do that? This sets a dangerous precedent that leaves a sour taste in my mouth. This city as an institution (City of Toronto) is spineless.

I'm 24 and I love the sign. Seeing it go was the first thing that heralded a new Toronto, a new Toronto I'm not comfortable with anymore. It's becoming such a disposable city. The city of the American dream, essentially.
I can't even count how many movies/music videos that feature Toronto have the Sams spinning discs in scenes. It was THE object that said this is Yonge Street.

Things just didnt' work out as planned is not a valid excuse. I also might not feel like paying my credit card bills as 'things didn't work out as planned - I'm broke'. But can I do that? This sets a dangerous precedent that leaves a sour taste in my mouth. This city as an institution (City of Toronto) is spineless.

Of course you can - so long as your creditor allows you. Which in analogy is exactly what happened in this case. If you want problematical development/heritage preservation issue, demolition by neglect and willful destruction prior to designation is far more of an issue/

AoD

Of course you can - so long as your creditor allows you. Which in analogy is exactly what happened in this case. If you want problematical development/heritage preservation issue, demolition by neglect and willful destruction prior to designation is far more of an issue/

AoD

Again, that brings me back to my point about this city being absolutely spineless. Why the city isn't going tooth and nail against Ryerson for reneging on their commitment/contract is beyond me.

I have a major issue with commitments (especially those that are contractual), being swept aside due to new circumstances. I'm sure Ryerson can find the $250k to properly rehabilitate and reaffix these signs on a nearby structure they own. They sure as hell can given the ridiculous budget of this learning centre.

Like them or not, these signs were uniquely Toronto, and were widely featured in our city's limited airtime.

Back