News   Oct 04, 2024
 2K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 3.9K     4 

s0Vth p@rK

Hayes's Departure and Criticism

On March 13, 2006, Hayes announced he was asking to be released from his contract with Comedy Central, citing recent episodes which satirized religious beliefs as being intolerant. "There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins," he was quoted in a press statement. Hayes, however, did not directly mention Scientology. A response from Stone said that Hayes' complaints stemmed from the show's criticism of Scientology and that he "has no problem -- and he's cashed plenty of checks –– with our show making fun of Christians."[3]. Stone adds, "[We] never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin." A March 23 BBC News story quoted Stone as saying, "In 10 years and over 150 episodes of South Park, Isaac never had a problem with the show making fun of Christians, Muslim, Mormons or Jews. He got a sudden case of religious sensitivity when it was his religion featured on the show."[4]

Stone and Parker agreed to release Hayes from his contract per his request.[5].

In contrast to the press release, Hayes stated in a radio interview on the XM Radio show Opie and Anthony, approximately a month after the "Trapped in the Closet" episode aired, that he was not particularly offended by the episode because of the level of satire people have come to expect from the show. "Matt and Trey, they lampoon everybody, and if anybody takes that shit serious, then I'll sell you the Brooklyn Bridge for two dollars," Hayes told the radio personalities.

Additionally, on January 4th, 2006, Hayes defended South Park's style of controversial humor to the Onion's AV Club, noting that he was not pleased with the show's treatment of Scientology, but conceding that he "understand what [Matt and Trey] are doing." [6]

On March 20, 2006, Roger Friedman of Fox News reported having been told that the statement was made in Hayes's name, but not by Hayes himself, as he suffered a stroke in January and has not been seen in public since. He wrote: "Isaac Hayes did not quit "South Park." My sources say that someone quit it for him. ... Friends in Memphis tell me that Hayes did not issue any statements on his own about South Park. They are mystified." [7]

...wiki.

intresting. i hope he comes back.

Back