News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Russell Carhouse (was: Leslieville streetcar yard)

I wonder too. Roncesvalles is currently getting panto friendly at the minute, whether Russell will or not is likely if it stays open to serve as a yard for the Flexities. Sometimes currently, the 501 Flexities are parked at Russell overnight.
Since we will pretty soon ONLY have Flexities I think it is certain that they will upgrade the Russell overhead as they need more space for them (and want to eliminate poles). Though I have not been out there for several months,I think that that section of Queen Street itself still needs to be upgraded anyway. On the TTC traction-power map posted a few pages back the upgrade for the Barns and intersections nearby was listed as 2018

Since we will pretty soon ONLY have Flexities I think it is certain that they will upgrade the Russell overhead as they need more space for them (and want to eliminate poles). Though I have not been out there for several months,I think that that section of Queen Street itself still needs to be upgraded anyway. On the TTC traction-power map posted a few pages back the upgrade for the Barns and intersections nearby was listed as 2018

Well, that would make sense. What wouldn't make sense is them shutting down Russell. It is still needed.

What wouldn't make sense is them shutting down Russell. It is still needed.
It was needed for 264 cars that were expected in 2020/2021. But now that TTC has made it clear they won't take the option for 60 cars, is it necessary for only 204 cars?

I've always assumed it would be kept, but the new budget has deferred the 60 additional cars for a few years, and is instead spending money earlier for a "New Streetcar Maintenance and Storage Facility" at Hillcrest. It's unfunded, but they budget starts in 2019 with $61 million in 2020 and a massive $766 million from 2024 to 2029 (peaking in 2025).

Meanwhile spending (unfunded) on the additional streetcars doesn't even start until 2022 (with a whopping $200,000) and only $2.2 million in 2023.

Based on that, I'm wondering if Russell is becoming surplus, and replaced by a third yard at new maintenance facility at Hillcrest?

It was needed for 264 cars that were expected in 2020/2021. But now that TTC has made it clear they won't take the option for 60 cars, is it necessary for only 204 cars?

I've always assumed it would be kept, but the new budget has deferred the 60 additional cars for a few years, and is instead spending money earlier for a "New Streetcar Maintenance and Storage Facility" at Hillcrest. It's unfunded, but they budget starts in 2019 with $61 million in 2020 and a massive $766 million from 2024 to 2029 (peaking in 2025).

Meanwhile spending (unfunded) on the additional streetcars doesn't even start until 2022 (with a whopping $200,000) and only $2.2 million in 2023.

Based on that, I'm wondering if Russell is becoming surplus, and replaced by a third yard at new maintenance facility at Hillcrest?

Rusell would then become the first TTC streetcar yard to shut down.

Uh ... what about the other TTC streetcar yards? Particularly the ones that were closed from the 1960s through 1990?
Nothing left of them.

Hillcrest cannot replace Russell

How would that there's nothing left of them, make Russell the first TTC streetcar yard to shut down? Even Trotsky Yard? :)

(though seems to me there's rather a lot left of at least two yards).
Hillcrest is the only location at this time to take cars once the next order is place, but only for 60?? cars.

Artscape Wychwood Barns was the last yard that should been keep, but only the carhouse exist. It could have service 511 and 512 then and now.

Where do you see the land that would meet the Leslie Barns size??

TTC another yard beside the current 3 is needed.

If one looks down the road not TTC way and assuming all the expansion lines are built, along with improved service, TTC will need close to 400 cars by 2040.

Hillcrest is the only location at this time to take cars once the next order is place, but only for 60?? cars.

Artscape Wychwood Barns was the last yard that should been keep, but only the carhouse exist. It could have service 511 and 512 then and now.

Where do you see the land that would meet the Leslie Barns size??

TTC another yard beside the current 3 is needed.

If one looks down the road not TTC way and assuming all the expansion lines are built, along with improved service, TTC will need close to 400 cars by 2040.

Artscape Wychwood could have been use for 512 instead of long Deadheads from Roncesvalles.

With more streetcars routes coming to the Port Lands and the Waterfront, they will need the yard space at Russell. It would also mean the conversion of Hillcrest to a division yard to serve the 512 ST. CLAIR and 511 BATHURST streetcars.

201758-transit-network.jpg-resize-_opacity_100-frame_bg_color_FFF-h_2500-gravity_center-q_70-preserve_ratio_true-w_1400_.webp

From link.

BTW. The TTC will be needing 100+ additional streetcars, not just 60. See link. (Unfunded at this time.)

With more streetcars routes coming to the Port Lands and the Waterfront, they will need the yard space at Russell. It would also mean the conversion of Hillcrest to a division yard to serve the 512 ST. CLAIR and 511 BATHURST streetcars.

201758-transit-network.jpg-resize-_opacity_100-frame_bg_color_FFF-h_2500-gravity_center-q_70-preserve_ratio_true-w_1400_.webp

From link.

BTW. The TTC will be needing 100+ additional streetcars, not just 60. See link. (Unfunded at this time.)

If the funding is provided for Waterfront and Port Lands LRT, then they can have Russell stay open to store the LRVs. Then, Hillcrest would make sense for 512. But, 511??

Then, Hillcrest would make sense for 512. But, 511 Bathurst??
Hillcrest is only a kilometre from the north end of 511. Roncesvalles is over a 6 km journey to the closest end of 511 while Leslie is almost 10 km.

Why would Hillcrest be okay for 512, but not 511?

Off the top of my head, no yard is closer to any streetcar route terminus than Hillcrest is to 511!

Hillcrest is only a kilometre from the north end of the 511 BATHURST. Roncesvalles is over a 6 km journey to the closest end of 511 while Leslie is almost 10 km.

Why would Hillcrest be okay for 512 ST. CLAIR, but not 511 BATHURST?

Off the top of my head, no yard is closer to any streetcar route terminus than Hillcrest is to 511!

It would work for 511 BATHURST as long as there are no issues with the Bathurst connection track south of Hillcrest.

Last edited:
It would work for 511 BATHURST as long as there are no issues with the Bathurst connection track north of the station.
For a self-described "TTC Transit Fanatic" your posts frequently display an amazing lack of knowledge of the TTC system, earlier Reports and simple geography. (Also interesting that, despite your fandom, you have yet to visit Russell! "I am visiting Russell today, I haven't been to Russell before personally, ") As the 512 St Clair streetcars can only get to St Clair by using Bathurst, I think you might assume that the track is OK (and much of it was rebuilt fairly recently). Whether Hillcrest is a suitable streetcar yard any more is quite another question and there are several TTC Reports on how best to use the whole complex. After your excursion today you might want to spend some time on research - your posts may then be based on facts and history and worth paying attention to.

Back