News   Jul 18, 2024
 354     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 507     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 856     0 

Royal Oak Inn (376 Dundas East @ Ontario St, 3s) COMPLETE

Hopefully this doesn't set off a domino effect and cause other landlords in the area to handle aging properties in such unfortunate manner. Corso Italia has been especially hit hard with wave after wave of EIFS.

Hopefully this doesn't set off a domino effect and cause other landlords in the area to handle aging properties in such unfortunate manner. Corso Italia has been especially hit hard with wave after wave of EIFS.

its true, the streetscape of St Clair west has been damaged beyond repair by the use of this garbage.

its true, the streetscape of St Clair west has been damaged beyond repair by the use of this garbage.

And more so by that than by the streetcars, streetcars, streetcars. (Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a correlationship btw/those local businesses doing the complaining about the ROW and the use of EIFS on their facades, i.e. they don't realize how a street full of architectural Botox can be a subliminal retail-traffic turnoff, but they're just "projecting" their own dunderheadedness upon the ROW)

Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a correlationship btw/those local businesses doing the complaining about the ROW and the use of EIFS on their facades

You might be on to something their adma.

Because really, streetcars and quality architecture are only for the elites, don't cha know!

Because really, streetcars and quality architecture are only for the elites, don't cha know!

Except that *they* think what they've done is "quality"--better than the, uh, "tired" old frontages they had to deal with. Unless you want to freeze things in 1950 forever, like a lot of those hysterical preservationists wanna do, ya know.

The point being, they don't want meddlesome municpal outsiders dictating what they should or should not do with their properties. Least of all when it comes to subjective highfalutin idears like "urban aesthetics", bla bla bla...

motel6a11.jpg

i still can't believe he got away with this:

"The Royal Oak Hotel 376 Dundas Street East (see above center)and been recently purchased by an experienced hotel operator who is moving forward with a complete interior gut and renovation. Area residents recently met with Haseeb Mushtaq the new owner and he presented plans for a 21 room mid range hotel with a cafe on the street level. He intends to operate the hotel and lease out the cafe/lobby area and boulevard patio to a experienced cafe/coffee shop operator. The plan went to Committee of Adjusment in July of 2013 to deal with the Hotel zoning and minor parking issues. Both variances were approved. The owner is activiely seeking a tennant interested in running a small cafe or other business in the front area of the main floor and basement. The basement is in the process of being lowered so there will be great ceiling height there which could accomodate a range of businesses from a gymn to an art gallery. We will keep in contact with the new owner and keep area residents informed of new developments."

http://www.cabbagetownsouth.ca/Default.aspx?pageId=1271647

he must not have informed them that he intended to cover the building in painted Styrofoam as well.

Except that *they* think what they've done is "quality"--better than the, uh, "tired" old frontages they had to deal with. Unless you want to freeze things in 1950 forever, like a lot of those hysterical preservationists wanna do, ya know.

The point being, they don't want meddlesome municpal outsiders dictating what they should or should not do with their properties. Least of all when it comes to subjective highfalutin idears like "urban aesthetics", bla bla bla...
I just love your consistent "us" vs. "them" discourse. It's so refreshing.

And more so by that than by the streetcars, streetcars, streetcars. (Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a correlationship btw/those local businesses doing the complaining about the ROW and the use of EIFS on their facades, i.e. they don't realize how a street full of architectural Botox can be a subliminal retail-traffic turnoff, but they're just "projecting" their own dunderheadedness upon the ROW)

And the local councillor is the useless, forgettable Ford brown noser Cesar Palacio - who seems in many ways precisely the right kind of guy to represent streetcar-hating, EIFS-lovin' Corso Italia.

Such a beautiful transformation! Its a shame that more developers don't fix up their historic buildings this way. The texture, colour, and the detail around the windows make this project a real winner!

Kudos to Motel 6 for taking initiative!

Back