883     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 549     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 5.5K     7 

Rotterdam, city in the fog

R

ronald1987

Some say Rotterdam looks depressing during the winter, just like much of North-Western Europe...
Others say that the city's skyline is impressive year-round, rain or shine.
Now you can judge it for yourself: here are some pics of the city I took in Febuary. Enjoy :)

4. The port, and to the right is our version of the CN-Tower, the Euromast. It's 186 meters tall, and was completed in 1960. In 1970, an additional 85 meters were added (it used to be 101 meters tall before that).

8. When I was on the 17th floor of a skyscraper, it was raining heavily...

9... As soon as I got out of the building, the sky started to clear up again. To the left you can see the building I was in when I took the previous pics. In the front of the picture, you can see the building of the "Holland-America Line", a ferry company that brought many Dutch immigrants from Rotterdam to New York before planes existed.

10. Modern architecture?

13. Why not take a watertaxi in the world's largest port city? (Or is that Singapore these days :S )

Some say Rotterdam looks depressing during the winter, just like much of North-Western Europe...

Some of those pics remind me of Toronto... a city that certain can look depressing in the winter.

Ed: I was thinking exactly that as I scanned these photos. Public access to the waterfront appears to be well established in Rotterdam.

Ronald: Thanks for the pictures. Always interesting to see them.

Public access to the waterfront appears to be well established in Rotterdam.
It is in the areas around Downtown. Outside of Downtown, however, neighbourhoods adjacent to the river do not have any connection to the city's waterways. What a company tried to do there, was to create a connection to the waterfront in those kind of neighbourhoods. They tried to accomplish this by creating small parks along the waterfront so that people would actually go to the waterfront instead of pretending it isn't there. Me and a group of students are going to investigate wheter these investments were succesfull or not.
Some pics of those neighbourhoods:

A soccerfield that's meant to attract people to the waterfront:

Back