News   May 16, 2024
 385     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 636     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 2.6K     0 

Roncesvalles Reconstruction

Couldn't pass the streetcars before the construction and I couldn't pass the buses during the contruction either. And I found that riding the streetcars was faster than the buses.
I spend a lot of time along Gerrard Street, in streetcars, walking, and driving. Most of the cars that are passing streetcars do so by accelerating to a velocity that is faster than the posted limit. If I stay at the speed limit, it's nigh impossible to pass a streetcar - unless it's rush-hour and there is no parking (which I understand isn't something that happened on Roncesvalle)

Surely then, the bump outs would only stop cars from speeding.

I spend a lot of time along Gerrard Street, in streetcars, walking, and driving. Most of the cars that are passing streetcars do so by accelerating to a velocity that is faster than the posted limit. If I stay at the speed limit, it's nigh impossible to pass a streetcar - unless it's rush-hour and there is no parking (which I understand isn't something that happened on Roncesvalle)

Surely then, the bump outs would only stop cars from speeding.

The City of Toronto, and Transport Canada agree. Here are the results of the St. George street "road diet":

Speeding reduced. Prior to construction of the first bicycle lanes in the early 1990s, the Toronto Police reported that they had regular speed traps on St. George. Dan Egan explained that when a road is narrowed to provide only one lane in each direction, speed is automatically reduced because there is no room for motorists to overtake other cars. Drivers also slow down at pedestrian crossings.

Traffic collisions decreased. During the period 1991 to 1997, there were about 24 vehicle crashes along St. George. The six-year period following road narrowing saw a decrease of 40% (down to 16 collisions).

Traffic and bicycle volumes. A 1993 traffic count found that St. George carried about 7,300 cars in peak hours daily (or 16,000 in total per day). By 2003, virtually the same number of cars travelled on the road (7,400 in peak hours, 16,000 daily). Dan Egan noted that, in general, downtown traffic volumes in Toronto have not increased for the past 20 years. By revitalizing the street and making it more efficient, St. George was able to carry as much motor traffic as it always had, at lower speeds, while providing more space for pedestrians and cyclists. After the revitalization of St. George, bicycle volumes increased 10%--from 1,500 cyclists per day to 1,600.

As a comparison, St. George and four other streets (Davenport, Gerrard, Sherbourne, and Harbord) were monitored for bicycle and traffic volumes before and after the roads were narrowed and bicycle lanes added. The average bicycle volumes on these streets increased by 23% with no overall change to motor vehicle volumes.

Improved quality of life. Staff from the University of Toronto said that the addition of greenery and architectural features "created a welcoming atmosphere." The university also believes that it can use the area's improvements as an advertisement to potential new students, researchers, and faculty members.

As reported on the University of Toronto Web site, "The St. George Street project opened people's eyes to the opportunities to enhance open spaces elsewhere on the campus. It helped to spread the new way of thinking about living and learning on the campus to the entire University of Toronto community and led to a broad awareness of the importance of the campus open spaces and their ability to improve quality of life."

rbt said:
Seriously? You prefer a smashed caution sign over a smashed pedestrian?

I would say significantly safer. These idiots can learn their mistake on a piece of metal instead of my legs

Obviously you have no clue what youre talking about or you would realize a freaking caution sign isnt going to stop a car. These idiots are going to drive through that piece of metal and then right over your face with a dumb expression on it. Think about it, the caution sign is sitting right were people would stand for the streetcars on the bumpout. The sign is pancaked into the ground from a car hitting it. Do you think that is a safe place for people to be standing?

Couldn't pass the streetcars before the construction and I couldn't pass the buses during the contruction either. And I found that riding the streetcars was faster than the buses.

Well I guess youre just a very passive driver. I would drive roncesvalles to work in the morning rush and would usually pass 2 somtimes 3 streetcars on the way to bloor. (which is pretty much impossible now) How can you say you couldnt pass streetcars before the construction? The gas pedal is on the right granny.

Last edited:
Obviously you have no clue what youre talking about or you would realize a freaking caution sign isnt going to stop a car. These idiots are going to drive through that piece of metal and then right over your face with a dumb expression on it. Think about it, the caution sign is sitting right were people would stand for the streetcars on the bumpout. The sign is pancaked into the ground from a car hitting it. Do you think that is a safe place for people to be standing?

Well I guess youre just a very passive driver. I would drive roncesvalles to work in the morning rush and would usually pass 2 somtimes 3 streetcars on the way to bloor. (which is pretty much impossible now) How can you say you couldnt pass streetcars before the construction? The gas pedal is on the right granny.

You probably also parked in the NO PARKING and NO STANDING zones as well.

I would drive roncesvalles to work in the morning rush and would usually pass 2 somtimes 3 streetcars on the way to bloor. (which is pretty much impossible now) How can you say you couldnt pass streetcars before the construction? The gas pedal is on the right granny.

Within the next 5 years, the TTC will roll out new streetcars that are about 30 metres long, far longer than even the articulated streetcars in use now. They will basically be small trains. I predict numerous collisions until people realize these things cannot be passed on a one-lane street without a rocket booster. The streets that have already foreclosed these opportunities will likely flow more freely, like Roncesvalles.

And you do this without exceeding the speed limit?

Hang on ... didn't you say earlier that you normally took transit? Though you were caught in some lies earlier in this thread, weren't you ...

You have serious issues if you think racing over pedestrians is acceptable behaviour.

Anyway, I will take your message in good faith that you're advising me to request the police demand a raised concrete barrier for pedestrian safety.

It's obvious based on your posts that you are a hazard on the street to both pedestrians and other drivers. Best of luck with your life; you will be judged based on it.

BlogTO article:

Rob Ford Pays a Visit to Roncesvalles

Posted by Derek Flack / January 6, 2011

Rob Ford and area councillor Gord Perks met with members of the Roncesvalles BIA earlier this afternoon so as to get to get a look at the state of the street and to listen to some of the community's worries and complaints regarding the yet to be finished construction in the area. Starting near Dundas at around noon, the small entourage of 25 or so people -- a number of whom were city officials and media types -- meandered slowly southward as Tony Cauch and other members of the BIA went over a series of concerns.

Not surprisingly, the most pressing item on the agenda was the completion date. Although work was supposed to be complete as of early December, construction has been put on hiatus over the winter. As such, the BIA is concerned that the new date (approximately 12 weeks from now) provided by the contractor, Sanscon Construction Ltd., can't be trusted. So disillusioned are they with the project that they expressed concern over its full completion by the Polish Festival in September, which Ford, whose wife is Polish, was also extended a formal invite to.

For his part, Ford listened patiently. Although he certainly didn't offer any promises regarding time lines, he did ask his staff to provide him with more regular updates when construction resumes in the spring. The only time that he got miffed was somewhat early on when he noticed that there were basically no garbage cans along the street. I couldn't tell if his rather obvious frustration was a bit of grandstanding or if it demonstrated that he failed to comprehend the recent history of inconvenience along the strip. Interestingly, the BIA members didn't seem particularly bothered about this issue.

Other things discussed included the resolution of property damage claims, fixing the problems with streetcar flow and parked cars, implementing time-based transfers on Roncesvalles streetcars, and a request for tax relief for businesses affected by construction delays.

In all of these cases Ford promised to inquire about their feasibility with the relevant parties or to look into the matter with his staff. The question is, of course, will today's pow-wow have any long term impact? I understand the desire to have a forum with the new mayor and that if you shoot beyond your target it might just increase the chances of hitting it, but I couldn't help but think that there was very little accomplished on this walk aside from Ford's demonstration of sympathy and a little catharsis via complaint for the BIA.

Clearly Ford's visit indicates the degree to which he wants to make good on the claim that he'll be a hands-on mayor. And who knows, maybe just showing up and listening is enough -- that is, if they can get the construction wrapped for the new date.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/01/rob_ford_pays_a_visit_to_roncesvalles/

Rob Ford looked very bored as he walked on Roncesvalles. Wonder if he used the TTC to get to Roncesvalles? Not.

20110106-robford_walking.jpg

20110106-robford2.jpg

20110106-robford1.jpg

20110106-robford_handshake.jpg

Photos from www.blogto.com.

Disn't take a walking tour on Jan 09, but took shots of the last bump-out north of Queen as well a video from the 504 going south. Photos and video below.

Drivers were saying a lot of cars parked in the no parking zones and only had inches to pass theses cars. They had to fold the minors where trucks were parked to far from the curb because of the snow.

Both ends of the bump-outs had snow pile up, perventing cycles from using the platform. A number of cars parked on top of the ramps areas.

If this is happening now, what is the first real snow storm going to do to this street if a small amout causing these problems today. Exceeding my expectation so far.
[video=youtube;mx8jAiuf5wk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx8jAiuf5wk[/video]
5341366200_6cdac085c3_b.jpg

5340750699_f10c309c97_b.jpg

5341360434_2d5bb40c72_b.jpg

5341358880_7eb296dd26_b.jpg

5341356858_285e570605_b.jpg

5341354782_ebafb0f06a_b.jpg

Back