5K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 705     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Further, Celia remarried after Ernest died to a Dursley. Makes me thing of Harry Potter for some odd reason.

when was the remarriage? That could also put a nail in the coffin of "Father Ford left school at age 10 to support that family". I doubt any dutiful parent wouldn't bother sending a kid to school at that age because they didn't do well. Dropping out at high school age is more believable/likely.

Dursely eh? Maybe Doug Sr had to live in a closet under the stairs.

Maybe the actual paternity wasn't even known for a while. Yeesh.

This makes sense to me. She would have been born as a Pressley, but somewhere down the road found out she was a Kiklas. That's why she holds onto both names.

Of course Robbo doesn't mention that Kathy got married to Jeff and had a daughter with another man.

when was the remarriage? That could also put a nail in the coffin of "Father Ford left school at age 10 to support that family". I doubt any dutiful parent wouldn't bother sending a kid to school at that age because they didn't do well. Dropping out at high school age is more believable/likely.

Well, at that time dropping out of primary school was quite common, especially for rural kids and poor urban kids.

ddale8 3:40pm via Web
This is first Ford campaign event since his leave. He has not addressed his racism, lewd remark, new apparent crack video, or anything else.

I know they won't be able to ask questions but I'm so glad he posted this because it's almost been forgotten.

huh? You're not familiar with the 1930s, I guess. People didn't think like that in those days.

Well, at that time dropping out of primary school was quite common, especially for rural kids and poor urban kids.

I would expect that a decade earlier, but given war time and advent of labour laws, I thought the 40's were a bit better. My mother is the same age as Ford Sr. and grew up quite humbly, but still managed to get a degree etc. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think they slapped Grandpa Ford's story onto Doug Ford Sr or seriously tweaked it. I knew some farm kids who'd only done grade 8 or 10 but that was to word directly on the farm etc.

Basing that on what - an inquiry from someone apparently not very certain about anything except a name and a vague date range; and, at that, the name of someone not listed along with the 8 siblings in Audrey's obit and perhaps not fathered by Ernest.

i'm trying to find something more concrete that shows this. if anyone out there can help, please do.

To support the family no doubt is Ford family history BS, as is Rob's supposed reason for dropping out of Carleton. But it is entirely plausible that a poor urban kid during the 1940s would have dropped out of primary school and obtained some form of job (such as the proverbial selling newspapers or shining shoes).

I would expect that a decade earlier, but given war time and advent of labour laws, I thought the 40's were a bit better. My mother is the same age as Ford Sr. and grew up quite humbly, but still managed to get a degree etc. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think they slapped Grandpa Ford's story onto Doug Ford Sr or seriously tweaked it. I knew some farm kids who'd only done grade 8 or 10 but that was to word directly on the farm etc.

Even a bit better still meant that drop out rates at the primary school level were high by today's standards. (It is quite plausible that he dropped out, but, as I've said, the idea that he dropped out for some sort of noble reason most likely is just part of the Ford family BS hagiography of The Blessed Doug Sr.)

It's not uncommon for records from that long ago to be unclear, especially for people coming over from a boat from the Old World. It wasn't uncommon for kids to leave school early to work back then (kids, not teens; KIDS). The Ford family themselves might have the information wrong without any intent to mislead. No sense in spending so much time to find some "lie" and then twisting yourself into a pretzel to "prove" that the lie is intentional and meant to paint Doug Sr. in a better light than the truth. I'm happy to look into the backgrounds of people who are still alive and might provide some insight/evidence of wrongdoings of Rob and/or Doug but this ancient stuff -- there's nothing meaningful to be found there.

“Ernest’s birth and christening records show he was born in Birmingham, Warwickshire, England,†according to Ancestry.ca.
[/COLOR]

According to Ancestry.ca, Ford’s first paternal ancestor in Canada may have been sent here at age 11 because he was “unruly.â€

I'm imagining 80sDougFord saying that his grandpa partied with Ozzy Osbourne's grandpa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back