50     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 342     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 483     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought that the ONE thing that will tie Rob Ford and Lisi together is a phone call to get the video back. That call would have happened back in May when the story broke. Lisi's phone wasn't tapped until July. Absent that incriminating call, all the evidence so far is circumstantial. I was hoping the TPS were concurrently pursuing other crime angles and that kept my hopes up. As the months rolled by and no charges were laid, I began to suspect the extortion angle was all they have and still needed the smoking gun. My hopes were raised when the cops realized there was an iCloud backup. But it's been a month since they got a hold of that and would have been sufficient time to parse through 10GB of data. That nothing seems to have come out of that is very disappointing. And obviously the OPP and perhaps the AG doesn't feel circumstantial evidence is enough to get a conviction. Hence we are where we are today.

My 2 cents.

Maybe the TPS said to OPP that they aren't waiting any longer. The case is solid, AG is on board, let's do this. So OPP went public to distance themselves ahead of the arrest.

It would be amazing that Ford has gone on CP24 today and crowed about being exonerated, only to be arrested soon after.

You have to think that both Siyad and Ford refused to cooperate on their conversations, thus TPS had nothing else to go on? That makes the most sense. I can't imagine the AG wouldn't already have asked TPS to follow that road. If that is the case, what more does OPP want? That's where it gets stinky.

If the OPP's role was to merely oversee the investigation and said investigation has proved itself competent, then their oversight is no longer a factor. They are willing to step back in should new evidence surface. If I'm supervising a group of people and they are performing their jobs competently, why would I need to stick my nose into it any further? Should a problem arise, well, then I'd take another look. Just my take on this new development. I have no legal experience and am thinking out loud here.

So, the general consensus is that, despite a small mountain of circumstantial evidence*, Fatso's going to skate because the cops couldn't get any of his little thug friends to roll on him? Does that mean they'll be nailing Lisi for everything they can, now?

*I mean, seriously: Is there anyone here who actually doubts that Slob and/or Thug's meaty paw prints aren't all over the violent attempts at retrieving the crack video? That's not even counting all the other shit, of which God knows there is plenty. How in the hell are the Fords walking away from all this? We're not talking here about Machiavelliaian masterminds a la Lex Luthor or Professor Moriarty; they're simply a pair of low level brutes. Two stupid, mean, utterly transparent, self-serving thugs. How have they managed to get away with everything?

Agreed, this whole Brazen 2 thing could at best have added onto the pile, the important issues are For'd own record of failures and blatant lies to cover them up. This includes associations with drug dealers, thugs, organized grime, as well as sole sourcing business deals, and commonly shitting on the "common folk".

Unfortunately, I think that in the context of the lack of charges, the issues like his associations with drug dealers and organized crime are going to be portrayed as untrue by him and his campaign, and it will be effective. Given seven months for Ford to spin that message - and his strange ability to skate through without consequences every friggin' time, there might be a real possibility that the failure of Brazen 2 is actually going to help him.

I've always tended toward pessimism, but I really am not confident that the court of public opinion is going to hammer him over this - and even if it does, he'll manage to convince a lot of people that it's sour grapes. (I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this one, though.)

So, the general consensus is that, despite a small mountain of circumstantial evidence*, Fatso's going to skate because the cops couldn't get any of his little thug friends to roll on him? Does that mean they'll be nailing Lisi for everything they can, now?

*I mean, seriously: Is there anyone here who actually doubts that Slob and/or Thug's meaty paw prints aren't all over the violent attempts at retrieving the crack video? That's not even counting all the other shit, of which God knows there is plenty. How in the hell are the Fords walking away from all this? We're not talking here about Machiavelliaian masterminds a la Lex Luthor or Professor Moriarty; they're simply a pair of low level brutes. Two stupid, mean, utterly transparent, self-serving thugs. How have they managed to get away with everything?

Because the opposition constantly stumbles and can't seem to get its cards in order. I hope this doesn't happen in the election.

I totally agree. But it seems, so far, they have managed to skate on everything. I also don't think it was due to meticulous planning on their part. Maybe they have just been incredibly lucky......... sigh.

How in the hell are the Fords walking away from all this? We're not talking here about Machiavelliaian masterminds a la Lex Luthor or Professor Moriarty; they're simply a pair of low level brutes. Two stupid, mean, utterly transparent, self-serving thugs. How have they managed to get away with everything?

Friends in high places?

I always thought that the ONE thing that will tie Rob Ford and Lisi together is a phone call to get the video back. That call would have happened back in May when the story broke. Lisi's phone wasn't tapped until July. Absent that incriminating call, all the evidence so far is circumstantial. I was hoping the TPS were concurrently pursuing other crime angles and that kept my hopes up. As the months rolled by and no charges were laid, I began to suspect the extortion angle was all they have and still needed the smoking gun. My hopes were raised when the cops realized there was an iCloud backup. But it's been a month since they got a hold of that and would have been sufficient time to parse through 10GB of data. That nothing seems to have come out of that is very disappointing. And obviously the OPP and perhaps the AG doesn't feel circumstantial evidence is enough to get a conviction. Hence we are where we are today.

My 2 cents.

I think you've nailed it.

The Macbeths got away with everything too... until the end.

You raise a good point here. The little thug friends didn't roll.

But what about the big thug friends with legal guns and badges? What happens when they start getting squeezed? A dirty thief might be inclined to protect his dirty thief friends. But a dirty cop owes very little to a dirty thief or his friends. If Chief Blair starts cleaning house, or someone with more moral courage starts asking about those two little words ("dirty cops") in connection with a chief magistrate, perhaps this whole situation becomes a whole lot more interesting.

I seem to recall 23 Division being isolated from Brazen 2 very early on in the process. Anyone hazard a guess why that might be?

It looks worse on Toronto Police than it does on the OPP.

Does it? To any reasonable person Ford is guilty of everything he's been accused of, and the evidence already released in the ITOs seems to back everything up. If I was a juror and his case was in front of me I'd have no trouble finding him guilty beyond reasonable doubt. If this was about anyone other than Ford, he would have been brought in a loooong time ago. If the TPS feel like they're being held to an unreasonable standard of evidence here, I'd be inclined to agree with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back