193     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 821     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 543     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lower Bay IS abandoned. They open it once a year for Doors Open Toronto, and you can get a permit to shoot there (I've actually physically applied for the permit once many years ago for a small shoot) But, like you say, it wouldn't be the sole reason for choosing Toronto vs. Vancouver. That has to do with money, studio space, etc.

It's not abandoned! It's maintained, powered, and utilized. They train operators on that piece of track and they can move trains between lines on it. Just because it's not used for revenue service doesn't mean it's derelict.

I read it as ABC charges 1.8 million for 30 seconds of ad and robby is getting 10 times that amount to advertise Toronto for free. Yes, Doug is talking out his ass. outside of super bowl stuff, even top shows like monday night football get 1/2 million or so per 30 seconds

And that is why I have a hard time understanding how he can build the Deco business as he claims he has. I cannot imagine I am alone in not wanting to do business with a blowhard like he is. Now maybe this side of him only shows up in politics but I doubt it. This is ingrained.

I read it as ABC charges 1.8 million for 30 seconds of ad and robby is getting 10 times that amount to advertise Toronto for free. Yes, Doug is talking out his ass. outside of super bowl stuff, even top shows like monday night football get 1/2 million or so per 30 seconds. And I don't they're getting 30 minutes. Not to mention robby won't be directing the conversation. Jimmy isn't having him in the show to let him babble about tourism in Toronto

A spot on Kimmel's show is about 20-30k. Doug was so wildly off it really shows how little he really understands about money.

I mean, really, 1.8 million for 30 seconds on late-night on a Monday? Does he have any idea how insane that is?

lol Okay we're just talking semantics. You are correct that they didn't throw a lock on the door never to be seen inside again. I meant it's abandoned in that it's not a station that is used for commuters any more.

It's not abandoned! It's maintained, powered, and utilized. They train operators on that piece of track and they can move trains between lines on it. Just because it's not used for revenue service doesn't mean it's derelict.

A spot on Kimmel's show is about 20-30k. Doug was so wildly off it really shows how little he really understands about money.

I mean, really, 1.8 million for 30 seconds on late-night on a Monday? Does he have any idea how insane that is?

Super Bowl ads were $4m for 30 seconds this year. Super Bowl ads. And, Rob Ford, I watched the Super Bowl, and you are no Super Bowl.

Doug would have been closer to the truth if he'd said "1.8 thousand dollars".

All important questions. Hopefully we get answers! Him calling Warmington about Smith was definitely odd. And that prison visit was bizarre, and only a couple of days before the Smith shooting.

I asked a friend who's on the City Hall beat why more wasn't made of Ford's racism. He said something about it happening in the past and there being more current issues. I have a lot of respect for this person, but if the mayor of a major North American city that prides itself on its multiculturalism commits a horrific racist attack, that's news - whenever it happened.

Maybe I just don't get journalism, but I care a lot more about that incident than I do about his drug use.

As long as the focus on Ford's self-regarding behaviour, a decent chunk of the electorate is going to say "I don't care what he does in his spare time." I'm not saying I don't care that he smoked crack, but there are so many items that are higher on my priority list.

Most urgently, as I mentioned, is I want him to be stopped from drinking and driving. He is going to kill someone.

But there are other issues, such as: Was the mayor of Toronto blackmailed by drug dealers and gun-runners? Why were gang members calling his City Hall number? What was his relationship with Anthony Smith? Why did he suddenly feel compelled a few weeks back to call up Warmington and deny any involvement in Smith's murder? What was his involvement in the 15 Windsor home invasion? What the hell was he doing when he tried to lie his way in to talk to Bellissimo in prison? Does he feel any remorse about committing a horrific racist attack on a taxi driver?

I could go on, but the point is that his actions do not exist in a vacuum. Other people are involved and there are real world consequences. It makes me irate when the story is about "Rob being Rob", "Havin' a few pops", "Lettin' my hair down", etc. But that's the dominant narrative.

That's it, exactly. Canadians are supposedly notorious for not caring much about the private lives of their politicians. I'm one who agrees with that school of thought. You want to be a casual crack user or have an affair in the comfort of your own home on your hours off? Have at it. But when you start having dealings with shady people that can leave you open to blackmail, or driving drunk, or bringing your staff members in to your personal drama, or doing any of this during work hours? You need to be gone. And most would be, if caught. We just seem to have the perfect storm here of someone under some bizarre delusions who has no shame.

No wonder why there are many car commercials. Selling at least one mid-sized car (or even a compact with many features) or larger pays for that ad.

I think Mayor Jeebus got it today. Can't believe that Ford's people didn't grab it, bunch of dummies.

Johnny B ‏@MayorJeebus 7 hrs
I’ve picked up the domain http://robfrodformayor.com
This will be fun.
#topoli

6:58 am - 2 Mar 2014 · Detail

robfordlies.com, crackmayor.com both taken--wonder by whom??
but there are lots of good ones left for 9.99 at GoDaddy:

The Real Rob Ford
therealrobford.com

Lies of Rob Ford
liesofrobford.com

Cracking Rob Ford
crackingrobford.com

Rob Ford Cracked
robfordcracked.com

Rob Ford The Crack Mayor
robfordthecrackmayor.com

Rob Ford Doesn't Work
robforddoesntwork.com

Lower Bay is not abandoned.

Nobody is going to decide to shoot an entire production in Toronto just because of the subway station, so that's irrelevant.

What's your point, anyway?

The Point: There was some discussion on Rob going to L.A. to talk up 'Hollywood North. Johnny Au is probably pointing out a reason why production might choose Toronto as a location. He used that lowest level of Bay Station as an example.

Having used it for production myself, I will attest to its utility in that regard. It's an otherwise unused asset that the TTC in fact can use as a distinct profit engine.

Plus, why be such a dick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back