News   Jul 09, 2024
 906     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.8K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lessons In Leadership

Winston Churchill: We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

John F. Kennedy: Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.

Martin Luther King Jr: I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

Robert Ford: You know folks, at the end of the day, everybody lies.

DYING. pure gold.

I don't remember seeing this:

The Ford anti-Pride strategy

By Edward Keenan

Rob Ford has never had good relations with the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Trans* community in Toronto. Historically, if he hasn’t been saying outrageous things (“If you are not doing needles and you are not gay, you wouldn’t get AIDS probablyâ€; puzzling over the guys-and-dolls definitions of transgenderism), he’s been doing antagonistic things (like voting against funding for the Pride parade, grants, and local health organizations) or not doing things in an antagonistic way (refusing to attend any events during Pride week). We’ve seen all this, and known all this, and debated this for a long, long time...

http://www.thegridto.com/blog-post/the-ford-anti-pride-strategy/

This is an interesting piece, and what I was thinking about was the whole Daniel Dale/park fence situation. Remember that Dale was painted as a pedophile by Robbie? Dale has been the brunt of gay rumours, so I for one think it is interesting that the Fords are painting an adversary in such a way, as a perversion, and an enemy of the "family values" the "Common Folk" embody.

It kinda sounds like Russia, protect the children by not allowing conversion to being gay by outlawing gay propaganda. Having a legal right to beat or kill someone promoted as less than human.

Anyway, it also makes me think about the term "straight shooter", used to describe Ford buddies, or family. Maybe telling their cult that these people are supporters of "family values".

It makes you think. How many times have we created scape goats (or in this case, Judas-Goat) to be used in the name of propaganda?

Remember: "embarrassed" is but a nice, save way of saying "fearful of consequences".

Y'know, someone who killed someone and claims he didn't do it might also claim he lied out of embarrassment.

By Edward Keenan

Rob Ford has never had good relations with the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Trans* community in Toronto. Historically, if he hasn’t been saying outrageous things (“If you are not doing needles and you are not gay, you wouldn’t get AIDS probablyâ€; puzzling over the guys-and-dolls definitions of transgenderism), he’s been doing antagonistic things (like voting against funding for the Pride parade, grants, and local health organizations) or not doing things in an antagonistic way (refusing to attend any events during Pride week). We’ve seen all this, and known all this, and debated this for a long, long time...

http://www.thegridto.com/blog-post/the-ford-anti-pride-strategy/

This is an interesting piece, and what I was thinking about was the whole Daniel Dale/park fence situation. Remember that Dale was painted as a pedophile by Robbie? Dale has been the brunt of gay rumours, so I for one think it is interesting that the Fords are painting an adversary in such a way, as a perversion, and an enemy of the "family values" the "Common Folk" embody.

It kinda sounds like Russia, protect the children by not allowing conversion to being gay by outlawing gay propaganda. Having a legal right to beat or kill someone promoted as less than human.

Anyway, it also makes me think about the term "straight shooter", used to describe Ford buddies, or family. Maybe telling their cult that these people are supporters of "family values".

It makes you think. How many times have we created scape goats (or in this case, Judas-Goat) to be used in the name of propaganda?

This is one of those things like with the unemployment rate: how much influence does a MAYOR have on the big issues surrounding gays? Human rights issues will be decided at a much higher level.

It's so stupid to vote for a mayor because s/he shares your views on LGBT people. These are Charter of Rights & Freedoms issues.

This is one of those things like with the unemployment rate: how much influence does a MAYOR have on the big issues surrounding gays? Human rights issues will be decided at a much higher level.

It's so stupid to vote for a mayor because s/he shares your views on LGBT people. These are Charter of Rights & Freedoms issues.

It's not stupid to refuse to vote for someone who has regressive views on LGBT issues. It's a major character flaw.

Nearly everything Doug ever says is 'loaded'. Everything comes off as a threat. That he never blinks doesn't help that, but I suspect that is the learned behaviour of a guy that figured out a long time ago he was better at intimidation than negotiation.

This is the best description of Dug I've read yet.

Lessons In Leadership

Winston Churchill: We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

John F. Kennedy: Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.

Martin Luther King Jr: I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

Robert Ford: You know folks, at the end of the day, everybody lies.

awesome.

Actually, a lot. Human rights in this case have been decided at different levels of government, and it is the Mayor's job to not just except, but also foster them. The Mayor is the elected representative for the people of Toronto, not just those who voted for him, but for all the people. Picking and choosing certain cultures, etc. of the city to support is divisive, and counter productive to the health of Toronto as a hole, including its' businesses.

That said, the Mayor is an authority figure, that has a direct or indirect influence over what people, and businesses do on a day to day basis. Hence, this is why mayors CAN have an influence over businesses creating jobs in the market.

Sorry, but this statement is a cop out. Ever hear of democracy? or read the explanation politics?

By Edward Keenan

I agree with the post, and it's something that I've been believing for a long while: Ford gave racists, bigots and civic ignoramuses a sense of legitimacy. All the Uncle Rogers who spout about how "immigrants are taking all the jobs" over Christmas dinner, somehow saw their views validated by a public official. These are the people who wouldn't dare use the word "faggot" in public, but have no problem throwing it around when they think no one with a single progressive bone in his/her body is around to hear it. The ignorant vote is one few dare to court, but Ford has no shame. If he sees anger (no matter how misdirected or socially shunned), he jumps on it. These people knew he was a complete bigoted jackhole before he was councillor, and they voted him in for that very reason. The problem is they don't realize that he hates everyone, including them.

The ignorant vote is one few dare to court, but Ford has no shame. These people knew he was a complete bigoted jackhole before he was councillor, and they voted him in for that very reason.

At this point, Ford has a very narrow campaign strategy....keep as much of his base as possible and hope for the best. The people most likely to vote for Ford, are also probably the people most likely to have the strongest bigoted views against the LGBT community. So it is probably to his advantage to actually take an obvious anti-gay stance to appeal as much as possible to his base.

I don't think the media should let him off on the homophobia, but should concentrate on his shoddy job as mayor (especially the poor fiscal record) to eat away at the base that still buys his BS about watching their tax dollars. Ford isn't going to lose any votes for being a homophobe.

To give you maximum benefit of the doubt, I hope you're trying to criticize those who would vote for RoFo because they're closed-mindedly creeped out by LGBT people the same way he is.

Because otherwise, WTF? Yeah, same-sex marriage laws, etc., get decided in the Supreme Court and House of Commons, but how welcome and safe a citizen feels walking down the street she or he lives on is most definitely affected by the attitude of municipal politicians, especially mayors.

If RoFo were (a) not an idiot and (b) not abusing substances to the verge of 24/7 unconsciousness, I would accuse him of using an evil and destructive strategy for his selfish electoral benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back