121     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 914     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.8K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best part was when Don Peat put "constituent visits" in quotes, like it was a joke.

That is what he had down in his agenda (which had to be subpoenaed under the FOI act) when he went to go meet Lisi to exchange drugs/money and drink vodka at the school.

Last edited:
Doug doesn't have the same rapport with his constituents that Rob had. Rob actually met with people (unfortunately still sort of does) and helped them solve problems, the only thing Doug did was have a fence closed...... a fence closed between the apartments on Dixon Road and 15 Windsor to be exact. Doug is not a man of the people in the way Rob is. I don't think that Ford Nation would support him nearly has heartfeltfully as they support Rob.

Rob's the, er "charismatic one," (heh, heh) the more popular of the two. God knows how, but there it is. Shades of George W. Bush, Slob's the one people supposedly want to hang out with, have a beer with, etc. Or so they keep telling us. Doug, when you get right down to it, is a pretty cold fish. In their circles, I doubt he's anywhere as well liked as his fat oaf of a brother, which may well be one of the sources of resentment between them.
I wouldn't be too quick to assume that Doug is devoid of charisma. A year or so back, I wound up briefly talking to (or, actually, mostly listening to) Doug in a one on one conversation. As much as I know that he's a lying bully, he presented as surprisingly charming and approachable, with a much more attractive speaking voice than his brother. He sounded competent, confident and honest.

Of course, I wasn't charmed, partly because I bloody well pay attention, and I still hold the same negative opinion of Doug. I also expect that Doug could careen off the rails often enough in his own special way often enough during the election season to torpedo his chances. But so much of his bullying bluster is in defence of his brother that if Rob were out of the picture, Doug might clean up nicely for fairly long stretches of time.

If Rob implodes early, how many of the people who support Rob on a gut level could transfer their loyalty to Doug? How many people who think that Rob is a train wreck, but who are ill-informed enough to think that the Fords Have a Conservative Fiscal Plan, would think that Doug is a better choice than anyone else left in the race?

I don't think Doug would be a shoo-in, but he might do better than you would expect.

Doug doesn't have the same rapport with his constituents that Rob had. Rob actually met with people (unfortunately still sort of does) and helped them solve problems, the only thing Doug did was have a fence closed...... a fence closed between the apartments on Dixon Road and 15 Windsor to be exact. Doug is not a man of the people in the way Rob is. I don't think that Ford Nation would support him nearly has heartfeltfully as they support Rob.

I still think he will be popular. Just look at how popular Olivia Chow is thanks to Jack Layton, or Justin Trudeau thanks to his predecessor.

I don't think Doug would be a shoo-in, but he might do better than you would expect.

I agree. I think he's a tougher sell because he doesn't have Rob's years of constitutency work. But I do think he would keep a sizeable percentage of Ford Nation. Plus, I think he would win over some fence-sitters who like Rob's message but doubt his fitness for office. He'd be an outsider candidate, but I wouldn't dismiss him, especially if he was only up against Stintz and Socknaki.

I was at a council meeting last month and Rob Ford was away for a bit somewhere and for some reason Doug was sitting in the mayor's chair. He was there for a good while, 15 minutes at least. Not really talking to anyone, just sitting. I thought to myself "hmmm.... I wonder what Doug is thinking".

Even Strobel's latest (barely readable or comprehensible, as usual) column in the Sun eviscerates the Fords' YouTube show. That can't be a good sign. Who's next, Warmington?

Even Strobel's latest (barely readable or comprehensible, as usual) column in the Sun eviscerates the Fords' YouTube show. That can't be a good sign. Who's next, Warmington?
No wonder why comments are disabled.

Any YouTube channel that disables commenting are generally contrarian to the general YouTube viewer.

Likewise, there are many forums that have mods close off any Mod Evaluation threads.

Also I suspect that unless the film adaptation of Crazy Town faithfully recreates in tone and spirit the gritty glory of Da Vinci's Inquest it can only be destined for the dustbin of terrible Canadian cinema/TV. I'm thinking Rookie Blue.

Lessons In Leadership

Winston Churchill: We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

John F. Kennedy: Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.

Martin Luther King Jr: I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

Robert Ford: You know folks, at the end of the day, everybody lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back