342     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 486     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no normal. We just do it. Saturday at noon. Nathan Phillips Square.
I just saw this link on twitter too:
http://savetoronto.tumblr.com/

Save Toronto
Meet at Nathan Phillips Square on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 12:00pm
with posters, chalk, and your voice.

It’s time to get angry, together.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 12:00pm is the most opportune time to come out in numbers at Nathan Phillips Square as:

it is the date for the next council meeting
it is during lunch break
it is sooner than later

Feel free to go through this simple site to learn more about the entire situation, and what you can do.

They also failed to mention the photo was taken in front of an alleged trap house.

...a trap house owned by a high school friend who he called the day of the video scandal and for which he may be paying the maintenance bills.

I'm sure a lot of people are just doing it for fun at this point but people should stop getting their pictures with him. Everyone who does it gives him the ridiculous ability to demonstrate how he'll have his picture taken with anyone. The circumstances around this one should throw him a bit - most people might say, "I have my picture taken with everybody but, yeah, wow, it's shocking who these guys turned out to be!" - but no one is asking the right questions. Oakley has come closest but if he is really willing to talk to the media anytime, he should end the hysterical crunch around his office by setting up a quiet panel discussion with representatives from each of the dailies and a couple of the TV stations, answer all the questions (except, of course, for those pesky ones before the courts!) an in a reasonable environment. His press conference last week was pathetic, but I at least sympathize to the extent that no one should have to address something this serious with the non-stop flashes and shutters and 50 mics being shoved in their face.

He can arrange for something better, but he won't.

If Bill Blair can go before the world and not only describe what is on the video but also pass judgement by saying he is "disappointed" in the Mayor why wouldn't it be OK to release the video?

I'm pretty sure Blair very carefully worded that. He does not say he's disappointed in Ford, and disappointed could mean anything. He could be disappointed that the video didn't show more, or that there was only one person, or that it was an MKV file versus MP4.

I'm setting up a site: http://savetoronto.tumblr.com/ (soon to be http://www.savetoronto.ca/ as well; just registered and waiting for the DNS to propagate)

Nathan Phillips Square on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 12:00pm, as it is the date for the next council meeting.
Organizing a protest can be a tricky thing. Obviously you want a lot of people to show up and you want a lot of people milling about around the protest to take notice of what's going on. Starting at 12pm might be hard seeing as those that want to show up can't because they are at work. But a noon protest would be ideal because councillors go on lunch break around then and if Ford went back to his office he would certainly take notice of the group of people under his window. If you started the protest at, say, 6pm, council would still be in session by then. But it would be dark outside and colder and perhaps a deterrent for people to come out. And also less non-protest people would be around than during the noon hour. Weekend protests would bring out the most people but would it be less effective if it was aimed at an empty City Hall? The media would still cover it, of course

Organizing a protest can be a tricky thing. Obviously you want a lot of people to show up and you want a lot of people milling about around the protest to take notice of what's going on. Starting at 12pm might be hard seeing as those that want to show up can't because they are at work. But a noon protest would be ideal because councillors go on lunch break around then and if Ford went back to his office he would certainly take notice of the group of people under his window. If you started the protest at, say, 6pm, council would still be in session by then. But it would be dark outside and colder and perhaps a deterrent for people to come out. And also less non-protest people would be around than during the noon hour. Weekend protests would bring out the most people but would it be less effective if it was aimed at an empty City Hall? The media would still cover it, of course

Great points!

Wednesday would be ideal because councillors would need to most likely step outside into the crowd and they'll themselves get a real, tangible feel about the whole situation. Noon-time because it's warmer, and also because there's simply more people around grabbing lunch. They can munch and stand in the crowd.

According to Wikipedia (truncated):

Alcohol Dependence

Definition and diagnosis

According to the DSM-IV criteria for alcohol dependence, at least three out of seven of the following criteria must be manifest during a 12 month period:
- Tolerance
- Withdrawal symptoms or clinically defined Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome
- Use in larger amounts or for longer periods than intended
- Persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down on alcohol use
- Time is spent obtaining alcohol or recovering from effects
- Social, occupational and recreational pursuits are given up or reduced because of alcohol use
- Use is continued despite knowledge of alcohol-related harm (physical or psychological)

Robbie fits at least 3 of these.

And here another link, and this one is for high-functioningalcoholics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-functioning_alcoholic
----

Anyway, what I do like is Robbie blaming his "problem(s)" on the media and lefties, and without them doing their job he would not have to result to over doing the non-drug called alcohol.

I work in mental health care, and the problem with any disorder (this now termed a "substance use disorder") is that one criteria for confirmation of diagnosis is that "the condition is impairing the quality of thier life" which, we can all see with RF, is highly subjective to the user. That's why recovering alcoholics talk so much about rock bottom -- they've often really got to lose bigtime for them to see how much alcohol is the root cause. Rob Ford's handlers are preventing this necessary step from happening (as are council). Unfortunately, people who don't understand well how addiction works mean well by minimizing consequences, but prolonging the illness.

Last edited:
I doubt any of executive will resign...it will look bad to their base if council goes and replaces them with Adam Vaughn etc...the left wing could offer to re-instate the current executive if they resign now en-masse to show their displeasure with Rob...it would be more symbolic than anything then though....

Great points!

Wednesday would be ideal because councillors would need to most likely step outside into the crowd and they'll themselves get a real, tangible feel about the whole situation. Noon-time because it's warmer, and also because there's simply more people around grabbing lunch. They can munch and stand in the crowd.

Organize a PA -- shouldn't be hard to crowdsource a generator or collect donations to cover it.

Invite council members to speak, and ask them to send it out to their mailing lists.

Really? You think he has charisma? He gives me the shivers at the thought of being in the same room!
I was not finished.

What I meant by charisma is his ability to influence others without using sound logic, especially uneducated people (see the Wiktionary definition of charisma).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back