5K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 709     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, i know you're not going to try to defend his work ethic. He's out, today, right now, telling reporters they're not working while he cries to ma-ma and buys sausages. City hall is open today. We now know he spent working hours getting drunk with drug dealers and making pick ups and drop offs. He's a lazy, drunk, oaf.

His getting elected didn't require a lot of work, it required money and bluster, two things he has in spades.

Rob Ford has shown a very strong work ethic in the past. Unfortunately, it's in the service of campaigning only. It's what he likes to do and what he's good at, and he knows it. I have no doubt that he would knock on doors and attend friendly photo-ops from sunup to sundown every day, if it was crunch time in an election.

Ford has also shown less than zero work ethic when it comes to doing any of the complex tasks that a mayor is actually supposed to do. He couldn't care less about that work and actively avoids it. He clearly thinks that once you've been elected, the contest is over, you won, and all you need to do is show up for ribbon cuttings and have "the people" kiss your ass. And/or solve minuscule problems for individual residents in order to bask in the hero glow.

That's it in a nutshell: Ford thought the hard work was OVER, not just beginning, when he won the election.

A reddit user has used voice software to change the tone of the voice and says that with a few adjustments, it sounds just like Rob. They didn't provide a link though. I still think it's him and that it sounds like him. The hanging up when the announcer says "is this Rob Ford?" also, in my mind, points in favour of it being him.

People are stupid. I'm listening to Metro Morning playing "man on the street" interviews. One guys says Ford shouldn't resign because what he did in the past doesn't matter, people deserve a second chance, and he wasn't in office at the time! The interviewer points out that this is the pretty recent past, and Ford was in office. Another guy says Ford saved him thousands of dollars -- I think from the VRT. Dude, that was $60, not thousands.

It's Ford math. Multiply by 20 years and then you're in the thousands. ;)

Whenever I ask that exact question of Ford Nation I get told "He runs a successful business!!!!!". At this point I realize I've already lost and try not to waste too much more effort on it.

Indeed, since a) he himself doesn't run it and b) its success has very little to do with him (in fact it is successful despite his involvement).

Well, at the rate Harper is throwing his friends under the bus, he probably wouldn't have many left (though it is arguable he had friends in the first place).

AoD
someone made a comment about judging Harper by the company he keeps, and I'm afraid this old song started running through my head :D :

‘Twas an evening in November,
As I very well remember.
I was strolling down the street in drunken pride,
But my knees were all aflutter,
So I landed in the gutter,
And a pig came up a lay down by my side.
Yes, I lay there in the gutter
Thinking thoughts I could not utter,
When a lady passing by did softly say,
“You can tell a man that boozes
By the company he chooses.â€
And the pig got up and slowly walked away

Also some chatter on Twitter now of Ford's executive drafting a joint letter of sorts to present to the mayor. Should be interesting.

I don't think it was Rob that called. It doesn't sound like him.

Well that's just a matter of opinion. But it certainly sounds like him to me. I'm 95% sure of it, going by the sound of his voice alone.

And don't you find it the least bit suspicious that the caller hanged up right after he was asked if he was the mayor?

I wanted to comment on the photo of Ford out trick-or-treating but I can't find it now and as others have said, the thread moves fast. Anyway, I recall there was a rare sighting of Renata in the picture. I really wonder whether she is livid at Rob right now for creating this mess, equally in denial, trying to comfort him or something else entirely.

i terms of losing everything - sorry, but I doubt it. It's basic Business 101 that you create separate legal entities for your personal belongings and your business belongings. "Doug Ford the Person" is completely different than "Doug Ford, partner at Deco" - so while "Doug Ford the Person" can be sued and taken for all he's worth, "Doug Ford Inc" is untouched. This is what pretty much every architect who runs his/her own practice does, because if you get sued for something your office did you don't want your family and their assets to be at risk.
ah, but this case is the inverse of the typical limited liability case. They probably won't be suing Dough Ford Inc, but Doug Ford the person. As a person you have unlimited liability and that includes any shares of any corporate holdings you have, and a garnishment on future wages. Not sure what the rules in Ontario are, but in BC, not even a bankruptcy excuses a court ordered settlement. Debts, CRA, bills, yup - court orders, nope.

So theoretically, they could take Doug for all he has.

ah, but this case is the inverse of the typical limited liability case. They probably won't be suing Dough Ford Inc, but Doug Ford the person. As a person you have unlimited liability and that includes any shares of any corporate holdings you have, and a garnishment on future wages. Not sure what the rules in Ontario are, but in BC, not even a bankruptcy excuses a court ordered settlement. Debts, CRA, bills, yup - court orders, nope.

So theoretically, they could take Doug for all he has.

Corporate insulation? Maybe. Trusts? Not so much.

Never underestimate the power of those with money to avoid taxes and liability. A smart lawyer/financial planner combo can do things that would make your head spin and your sense of moral indignation explode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back