320     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 573     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you are right but I found the use of the past tense rather worrying. (And you can bet his statement was run past many lawyers.)

The final paragraph is in the future tense:

I’m not going to speak about any of that investigation or any of that evidence, but I wanted to assure you all that the Toronto Police Service will do its job. I’ll make sure it does its job and that we will conduct all investigations, leave no stone unturned. We will conduct ourselves with integrity and we will do it without fear or favour of anyone, and we’ll use the evidence that we gather appropriately and put it before the courts.

The entire statement is very clearly about Rob Ford without ever mention Rob Ford. He knows we know who he's talking about Ford and he continues to point it out while affirming that nobody's privilege will change the outcome of how the TPS conducts an investigation. While investigations have been done (in the past), it's established in his use of future tense that they're not done and whoever he's talking about won't get away because of who he is.

Blair is running a tight ship. He managed to put an end to those runaway leaks that were snowballing and suddenly stopped. I heard no more info from my TPS connected sources and it appears that the media also got cut off too. This speaks to his distinction between public interest and what the public finds interesting. He doesn't want his cops gossiping, not even with their family. I'm fairly confident that there will be a fair and balanced resolution to this case once it concludes. Blair will hand what he knows to the Crown and wipe his hands knowing that he did his job.

I always see claims that there is a vast swath of people appearently gaming social services, but never any solid, credible numbers to support the assertion. It seems to me that the people who most take advantage of the "generosity of our society" are well off suit-wearing Serious People like our wonderful mayor and PM.

Maybe people should focus less on who they think deserves what, and more on providing the basics (food, shelter, healthcare and education) for everyone.

Word.

Mayor Rob Ford queries affordable Toronto waterfront homes

From The Star, at this link:

Area Councillor Pam McConnell says Ford and some councillors have misunderstood the proposal. “This is all over talk radio, and even some councillors have come to me today saying they can’t support buying waterfront condos for the poor,” she said. “But they’ve got it all wrong.”

McConnell, who has been involved in negotiations with developers Hines and Tridel, said the city is simply moving about 75 units of its already approved affordable housing from a site on the east side of the Bayside neighbourhood and integrating them into a west-side site. The block of affordable units will operate as a permanent, independent non-profit company inside a building that will also house condominium units, she explained.

The last time Pam McConnell was involved in negotiations like this with developers she scored a "Suite" deal on one of the largest and most desirable units in the new Regent Park development according to the Toronto SUN.

McConnell should have been kicked off council when this dubious transaction was unveiled - in my opinion. Why is McConnell still making backroom deals with developers? I wouldn't be surprised if McConnell winds up with a "Suite" deal on a condo in this new development on the waterfront. A far more pleasant place to live than Parliament and Dundas!

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/24/high-hopes-at-regent-park

Last edited:
The last time Pam McConnell was involved in negotiations like this with developers she scored a "Suite" deal on one of the largest and most desirable units in the new Regent Park development.

McConnell should have been kicked off council when this dubious transaction was unveiled.
Sounds like slander to me. Care to post that first sentence under your real name?

If you're interested, ThinkRicky, I can introduce you to some friends and acquaintances. I think you'd change your tune real quick.
Not that I'm against social supports at all....I did say friends, after all. It's just that the beginning of your post made you look naïve in my eyes.

The last time Pam McConnell was involved in negotiations like this with developers she scored a "Suite" deal on one of the largest and most desirable units in the new Regent Park development.

The horror of horrors. A councillor who promoted a new development bought a condo there at fair market value on the day they went onto the market. She should be applauded for doubly promoting her ward's new development and then committing to live there. Several of our esteemed councillors don't even live in the wards they represent. Pam does so in a development that houses a group of varied income levels. Are other councillors willing to admit they live in a building that has low-income housing alongside luxury suites? Many wouldn't even be seen within 100 yards of Regent Park unless absolutely necessary, let alone choose to live there.

Need I remind you that the person who wrote this column is a mere columnist; not an investigative journalist. This is a woman who regularly insults people on twitter and gives nicknames to everyone she dislikes. Sue-Ann ranted and raved about what an egregious, shady deal McConnell made, and she was the only one to touch this "story" with a ten foot pole. Both the Globe and National Post came out with counter articles denouncing Sue-Ann's claims.

I always see claims that there is a vast swath of people appearently gaming social services, but never any solid, credible numbers to support the assertion. It seems to me that the people who most take advantage of the "generosity of our society" are well off suit-wearing Serious People like our wonderful mayor and PM.

Maybe people should focus less on who they think deserves what, and more on providing the basics (food, shelter, healthcare and education) for everyone.

So a $300,000+ luxury apartment on the waterfront is now considered a "basic" of life?

As for not seeing "credible numbers to support the assertion" that "there is a vast swath of people apparently gaming social services" you don't need to see studies - you can see it with your own eyes! Walk around Regent Park and you will notice that many if not most residents are recently arrived "refugees". They chose Canada - specifically Toronto - because we have some of the most generous social services in the world! Some, if not many of these people are scamming the system. An example of this is the 44 year old Somali man arrested two weeks ago after he entered the Prime Minister's office in Ottawa with a suspicious package making threats. He lives in TCHC housing with his "stay at home wife" collecting $3,000 a month in benefits. Apparently he went berserk a few weeks ago after welfare officials asked him and his wife to provide proof of the seven children they had been claiming.

http://rita-rosenfeld.blogspot.ca/2013/10/welfare-entitlements-were-not-going-to.html

We are told that there is a ten year waiting list for TCHC housing and yet the city can find accommodation for recent arrivals who have no connection to Toronto? We know that there are 10,000's of needy and deserving disabled and elderly Canadians on a ten year waiting list for affordable housing. Many will die before getting placed in decent accommodation. They should be our number one priority!

Sounds like slander to me. Care to post that first sentence under your real name?

If these comments were considered "slanderous" the Toronto SUN and Sue-Ann Levy would have been sued (did you see the link?). The FACT is McConnell ADMITTED to getting first dibs on her condo unit BEFORE it was put on the market for the general public. It was in my opinion a "suite" deal!

Last edited:
Blair is running a tight ship. He managed to put an end to those runaway leaks that were snowballing and suddenly stopped. I heard no more info from my TPS connected sources and it appears that the media also got cut off too. This speaks to his distinction between public interest and what the public finds interesting. He doesn't want his cops gossiping, not even with their family. I'm fairly confident that there will be a fair and balanced resolution to this case once it concludes. Blair will hand what he knows to the Crown and wipe his hands knowing that he did his job.

Blair's comments reveal nothing new. Apart from a few case-specific details, his words could have been said by any police chief in North America. He basically describes the role of the police within a democratic constitutional framework. Whatever you thought before, you shouldn't change your opinion based on reading those words.

If you're interested, ThinkRicky, I can introduce you to some friends and acquaintances.

I do as well but I don't know the stories well enough to know how they came to work the system so well. I know far more people (and know their stories in greater detail) who had to clear massive hurdles to break out of the cycle of poverty because the social support system kept them trapped.

As for not seeing "credible numbers to support the assertion" that "there is a vast swath of people apparently gaming social services" you don't need to see studies - you can see it with your own eyes! Walk around Regent Park and you will notice that many if not most residents are recently arrived "refugees".

Perhaps I'm naive as well: I can't tell who is a refugee and who isn't just by walking around Regent Park. Please, share your secret.

As for not seeing "credible numbers to support the assertion" that "there is a vast swath of people apparently gaming social services" you don't need to see studies - you can see it with your own eyes!

Apparently in your world the plural of 'anecdote' is 'data'.

So a $300,000+ luxury apartment on the waterfront is now considered a "basic" of life?

While they exist in a building with luxury apartments, the TCHC owned ones will not be "luxury"; they will be maintained strictly by the TCHC; not the condo corporation.

As for not seeing "credible numbers to support the assertion" that "there is a vast swath of people apparently gaming social services" you don't need to see studies - you can see it with your own eyes! Walk around Regent Park and you will notice that many if not most residents are recently arrived "refugees".

a) Anecdote is not proof.
b) Many immigrants are highly educated, but their degrees or experience are not recognized here, so they're forced to work low-paying jobs that previously only caucasian teens would take, and thus can only afford low-income housing.
c) Calling immigrants "refugees" is insulting and bigoted.
d) The entirety of Canada took in a grand total of 5,412 refugees last year (http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-took-fewer-refugees-last-year-despite-pledge-1.1366888).
e) MANY immigrants, barely speaking English and not being aware of what's available to them, don't even know about many social services they might qualify for.

They chose Canada - specifically Toronto - because we have some of the most generous social services in the world!

There are countries with FAAAAAR better social services. Most of Northern Europe comes to mind.

Some, if not many of these people are scamming the system.

From this (http://library.queensu.ca/ojs/index.php/surveillance-and-society/article/download/deviants/deviants) Queen's University article:

"The persistence in weeding out the fraudulent is hardly ‘common sense’ because welfare fraud is ‘exceptionally low’, and the costs associated with the surveillance technologies far outweighs the expense of a few fraudulent cases."

We are told that there is a ten year waiting list for TCHC housing and yet the city can find accommodation for recent arrivals who have no connection to Toronto? We know that there are 10,000's of needy and deserving disabled and elderly Canadians on a ten year waiting list for affordable housing. Many will die before getting placed in decent accommodation. They should be our number one priority!

So, is this a conspiracy theory you came up with yourself, or is it someone else's idea? You really think there's someone deciding to side with new immigrants rather than our own citizens? What purpose would it serve? Who would agree to take this job? I'd like to see the proof of this claim.

All the major political parties in Canada are courting the new immigrant vote, including, yes, the Conservatives.

Immigration is the future of Canada. Without immigrants, Canada's population would drop and end up with too much excess infrastructure and reduced tax base.

Many immigrants are hard working and are willing to find jobs, not welfare leeches.

I have worked in Regent Park for 4 years. It is undergoing a massive shift right now, and it is only half way done.
Originialy, there was supposed to be 50-50 split subsidized to market rent units in the revitalization. Then it got slowly moved down. Now it is somewhere around 20-25% subsidized. A lot of people have been, and still will be displaced to other parts of Toronto, including Scarborough and North York.
The whole development could be seen as just a cash grab. But Daniels seems like a good corp. At least Mitch Cohen seems like he has a conscience, and a vision for the work being done in RP.
Regent Park is a huge land area right downtown. When it is done, it will be completely different than it is now.
People moving into the neighbourhood move in knowing that they will be with folks who are on social services.
In my experience, it is not the new immigrants who have the learned helplessness and a hard time seeing a way out. From what I have seen, it is the families who have been on welfare for a few generations are the ones who are involved in the drug trade, and crime.
Regent Park was a huge social engineering experiment for decades. Now it is another evolving experiment. But at least the energy seems lighter and there is more movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back