992     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 861     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 348     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adult males living with their parents is an Italian thing.
"A recent study conducted by the European Union on the living habits of young adults in 25 countries revealed that a whopping 64% of Italians between the ages of 18 and 35 years still live at home with their parents." http://voices.yahoo.com/in-italy-living-home-well-into-30s-perfectly-52419.htmlhttp://voices.yahoo.com/in-italy-living-home-well-into-30s-perfectly-52419.html
But maybe in the case of Ford's friends they were ordered to live under parental supervision by the courts?

this exchange felt worth sharing...

https://twitter.com/enzodimatteo/status/368738855580471296 (emphasis added)

Hehe - so I did a google search on Rob Ford and strippers. Not surprisingly it didn't yield anything, but it did yield a first-hand account of the time that Ford was drunk at the hockey game. I didn't realize it was so bad!

Rob Ford said:
At one point he shouted the following question at my wife and I, "Do you want your little wife to go over to Iran and get raped and shot" and continued on with other extremely asinine comments.

Ah, here we go. I had never seen this interview with Cook, but it sounds like it could be what the "bigger bombshell" is, and/or what MetroMan and/or Parkade alluded to, and/or what the Crown could be building a case for:

John Cook said:
"The libel laws in Canada play a really big role in how this story happened because there have been rampant rumours about (Rob Ford's) private behaviour, his substance abuse problems. If you look at Rob Ford's history, his public statements, his odd behaviour... the only thing they're consistent with is someone with a serious substance abuse problem. And it's being going on for years, but the libel laws in Canada are so restrictive that no one will go near saying the obvious, which is this guy is a drunk and an addict. And there's plenty of other behaviour, I know that there are reporters who have been in touch with people who claim they are prostitutes that he has purchased the services of." - John Cook, Gawker

As Cook says, the libel laws are pretty restrictive... not to mention it's the kind of thing that could tear a family apart. So you can bet that no media organization is going to print a word about this unless (a) they have multiple named sources on the record (not likely, especially if that comment about NDAs is true) or (b) he is formally charged first.

Adult males living with their parents is an Italian thing.

It's kind of a second generation European thing. My Portuguese friend used to say there's two ways to leave home, married or buried. Today though many kids are staying at home much longer than in the past several decades.

As Cook says, the libel laws are pretty restrictive... not to mention it's the kind of thing that could tear a family apart. So you can bet that no media organization is going to print a word about this unless (a) they have multiple named sources on the record (not likely, especially if that comment about NDAs is true) or (b) he is formally charged first.

I don't think that's a bombshell. Hiring prostitutes? I just don't see that as a huge deal.

Last edited:
Ah, here we go. I had never seen this interview with Cook, but it sounds like it could be what the "bigger bombshell" is, and/or what MetroMan and/or Parkade alluded to, and/or what the Crown could be building a case for:

related to that...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...er-say-rob-ford-smokes-crack/article11998659/

I don't think that's a bombshell. Hiring prostitutes? I just don't see that as a huge deal.

I think it might be a bombshell in the sense that if confirmed it might cost Rob Ford a significant chunk of his political base and be a blow to his public image (although I wouldn't count on it). I'm not sure that hiring prostitutes in and of itself would be a significant issue in a criminal investigation, though, would it?

I'm not sure that hiring prostitutes in and of itself would be a significant issue in a criminal investigation, though, would it?

Prostitution is technically legal in Canada (although practically everything associated with it isn't, such as keeping a bawdy house, soliciting, living off of the avails, etc. -- it's kind of schizophrenic that way).

The majority of Ford Nation will just shrug their shoulders and say (rightly or not) that if Jack Layton could get away with it, then why can't Ford.

Prostitution is technically legal in Canada (although practically everything associated with it isn't, such as keeping a bawdy house, soliciting, living off of the avails, etc. -- it's kind of schizophrenic that way).

Not to mention that you're supporting an entire industry that, well, isn't exactly founded on principles of human rights + decency. Unless, of course, Mr. Ford only engages the finest prostitutes who are doing it of their own free will, and refuses to engage those who have been trafficked/coerced into it. A man of discriminating taste...

They are opening these hearings based on 41 complaints, most of them anonymous. Am I the only one who finds it a little odd that they are planning 2 full days of hearings? How many of these anonymous complaints to they expect to hear in person, and from whom? Does it not strike anybody as odd that they are inviting the Fords to lodge complaints? If the Fords did so on their own, then of course they would be invited to speak to the complaints they filed, but that hasn't happened.

This doesn't pass the smell test for me. The OPC is a group comprised of - and controlled by - media organizations. They have no legal standing to request anything from anyone other than their members. They're effectively standing there with their fishing rods, asking the Fords to jump in the water and "please put this hook through your cheek". On what planet does it make sense for the Fords (or anyone, really) to allow themselves to be questioned on legal matters by a non-legal entity that is specifically seeking to expose the information gained through these hearings?

It's like inviting Conrad Black to please file a complaint against any of the articles written about him, so that he can come in and clarify his activities.

Toronto Star-1 hour ago
Opinion / Readers' Letters
Crack video facts not in question
Re: Mayor Ford will have the chance to refute crack video allegations, Aug. 20

Mayor Ford will have the chance to refute crack video allegations, Aug. 20

I am writing to clarify the reason for the Ontario Press Council hearing scheduled for Sept. 9.

Mayor Rob Ford has been notified of the Press Council proceeding and has been given the opportunity to file a complaint and join the other complainant at the hearing. The hearing itself will not focus on whether facts in the earlier story on the video are true but rather on whether the reporting and the story met journalistic standards.

A full description of the Press Council process and information about this particular hearing can be found at ontpress.com

Don McCurdy, Executive Director, Ontario Press Council
So why shouldn't the Fords file the complaint, they did complain about the reporting many times over. Guess the main reason is they would rather see the story to go away. They know the reporters did not report seeing a video that did not exist.

Not to mention that you're supporting an entire industry that, well, isn't exactly founded on principles of human rights + decency. Unless, of course, Mr. Ford only engages the finest prostitutes who are doing it of their own free will, and refuses to engage those who have been trafficked/coerced into it. A man of discriminating taste...

Indeed. I was mainly unsure if significant police resources would be devoted to investigating whether a person was - for example - picking up a woman working a downtown street corner. If there are connections with prostitution through organized crime/drug trafficking, that would certainly be a very different story and a much bigger bombshell.

Nothing came of them because they didn't exist. Douggie is fucking loudmouth liar with pathological blowhard tendencies running interference for his family name and otherwise pandering to morons to satisfy his ego. His truth to bullshit ratio is insane. Honestly, fuck that idiot and all his goddamn grandstanding.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back