632     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 2.1K     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 700     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, there are more fire stations than needed in the Bloor West/Swansea area. But that doesn't mean that a simple closure makes sense. It might be better to consolidate to a modern new fire hall with 3 or 4 trucks, which could save operational costs but also serve the area better.

I don't see a problem closing the Hall if there's overlap, though one could argue with a growing popluation that closing it may not be the best move.

Whatever the case, Rob Ford, as usual, did little to build consensus:

“The tax-and-spenders are going to say we’re eliminating jobs, which is not true…(and) we’re shutting down fire stations,†Ford said. “We’re building four new stations.â€

Is that really all Ford can do? Characterize people concerned about their neighbourhood as 'tax and spenders'? I mean, there's no way someone could be concerned about the impact on their neighbourhood, it's obvious they're just left wingers that want the government to raise taxes and spend no matter what.

I can't wait until his appeal is turned down.

I don't see a problem closing the Hall if there's overlap, though one could argue with a growing popluation that closing it may not be the best move.

Whatever the case, Rob Ford, as usual, did little to build consensus:

The tax-and-spenders are going to say we’re eliminating jobs, which is not true…(and) we’re shutting down fire stations,” Ford said. “We’re building four new stations.”

Is that really all Ford can do? Characterize people concerned about their neighbourhood as 'tax and spenders'? I mean, there's no way someone could be concerned about the impact on their neighbourhood, it's obvious they're just left wingers that want the government to raise taxes and spend no matter what.

I can't wait until his appeal is turned down.

If he said he'll amalgamate a couple of fire halls in one as a cost savings, why did he go against the amalgamation of the several TTC offices scattered around the city into one building at York Mills? How can he build consensus if he will not listen to other points of view except his own?

Over at the Torontoist they did an armchair lawyer exercise in dissecting Ford's appeal:

http://torontoist.com/2012/12/a-preview-of-rob-fords-conflict-of-interest-appeal/

Here is my concern: Either a) The law is the law, and because Council failed to update the wording of the City of Toronto Act, Ford gets off from a law that was poorly written due to... a law that was poorly written. Or b) The Appeals Court decides that if the City of Toronto Act can be interpreted in different ways, so can the Conflict of Interest Act and therefore Ford isn't fired, though he may face some other kind of penalty (suspension, fine, etc).

MetroMan, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable on this, what is your take?

If an argument is to be made on the 'broad and permissive powers' (rascal trucking) then one must define the what the will of council was in this matter. Even without Rob Ford's vote, the motion before council to not require him to 'repay' the money was set to pass. If the vote would have been the opposite and the city moved forward with the conflict of interest charge itself, instead of a private citizen, Hackland's decisions would be ironclad. Alas the will of council is clear, to rescind the repayment requirement and not pursue a CoI charge.

If he said he'll amalgamate a couple of fire halls in one as a cost savings, why did he go against the amalgamation of the several TTC offices scattered around the city into one building at York Mills? How can he build consensus if he will not listen to other points of view except his own?
To be fair to Ford, I don't think he's ever given a hoot about consensus.

If an argument is to be made on the 'broad and permissive powers' (rascal trucking) then one must define the what the will of council was in this matter. Even without Rob Ford's vote, the motion before council to not require him to 'repay' the money was set to pass. If the vote would have been the opposite and the city moved forward with the conflict of interest charge itself, instead of a private citizen, Hackland's decisions would be ironclad. Alas the will of council is clear, to rescind the repayment requirement and not pursue a CoI charge.
:confused:

Rob Ford has left town. After fighting to keep his job as mayor of Toronto--and winning (at least for now)--he promptly flies the coop.

Less than a week after learning he will remain mayor of Toronto for at least a while longer, Mayor Rob Ford has flown away for some “personal time.”

Ford’s press secretary, George Christopoulos, confirmed the vacation Monday after a traveller tweeted that Ford was at Pearson airport security and customs “lined up with all us other schlubs.”

Christopoulos did not say where Ford was going or when he will be back on the job. The Star could not confirm reports that the mayor and his family are retreating to a Ford family condominium at Hallandale Beach in South Florida.

Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday said Ford’s office had not notified him that the mayor is out of the country, as it sometimes does. He does not begrudge the mayor some rest and relaxation.

“I think he’s been under a lot of stress and it will do him and his family some good,” Holyday said. “He hasn’t had much of a break and, if an opportunity to take some days away presents itself, I think he should take it.”

Count me in the anti-Ford camp. But even I understand why he wants to take a break. Still, his opposition will pounce on it come by-election time. "You spend months in court to save your job, only to leave for your Florida condo after you receive your stay?"

Count me in the anti-Ford camp.
Instead of the whole 'anyone but Ford' attitude, perhaps people should focus on who would be the most qualified candidate to run the city in the next election. This idea of 'anyone but Ford' really helps his team pin him up as a Martyr for the 'right', even though many conservative voters agree that he's barely qualified to be a city councillor, nevermind a Mayor. It's obvious in the last election that he has this way to polarize the electorate into a all or nothing end-game, which in the end absolutely benefits him.

Some on the left continually play into his game of us-or-them, GW style politics - It's going to end up with another Ford mayoralty.

The levee broke...

Mayor Rob Ford’s New Year’s Levee is getting the axe.

The annual New Year’s meet-and-greet won’t be happening in 2013, Mark Towhey, Ford’s chief of staff, confirmed Tuesday.

“We won’t hold the traditional New Year’s levee on (Jan. 1),” Towhey said. “We’re looking at other options.”

The event is an annual tradition in which the mayor and a collection of city councillors greet well wishers at Toronto City Hall.

Towhey insisted the cancellation of the event — which Ford held in 2011 and 2012 — had nothing to do with the mayor’s ongoing court battle to stay in office.

“I think it was due to a scheduling issue … also cost,” Towhey said.

A judge recently tossed Ford out of office after ruling he violated conflict-of-interest rules. Ford won a stay last week pending the outcome of an appeal, which is slated to begin on Jan. 7.

A city spokesman said Ford’s levee cost the city $4,500 in 2011 and $3,400 in 2012. Councillor Adam Vaughan said the levee’s cancellation was another sign Ford is a “part-time mayor.”

“I guess he’s resting up for a big campaign,” Vaughan quipped.

If Ford is tossed out of office, city council could appoint his replacement or plunge the city into a byelection in which the mayor could run.

What I love about this story is Towhey clearly has no idea what's going on. He's the chief of staff and he thinks it's either a scheduling issue, a cost related issue and/or something else is planned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back