630     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 489     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 829     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I didn't realize it was derogatory" sums up so much about the Fords.
How can anyone possibly believe that Doug Ford is ignorant of what everyone else has known for years.

Really Doug Ford ... telling lies to cover-up a bigoted comment? Shame.

I truly think that the Brothers Ford don't get it. Doug apologizes by saying that his SIL is going to give him a beating. He's either adding insult to injury (no pun intended), or he really just does not get it. I suspect he is that ignorant.

Doug Ford referred to Rob's wife as "the Polack" not a Polack which suggests the possibility that this is a nickname accepted within the Ford family including Renata. I have 2 instances in my extended family of people being called nicknames of an ethnic nature that probably would be considered unacceptable epithets by outsiders.
The problem here may be that the Fords forgot that the listeners are not "insiders" in the Ford family and the word should not have been used on the air.
Just a thought.

Doug Ford referred to Rob's wife as "the Polack" not a Polack which suggests the possibility that this is a nickname accepted within the Ford family including Renata. I have 2 instances in my extended family of people being called nicknames of an ethnic nature that probably would be considered unacceptable epithets by outsiders.
The problem here may be that the Fords forgot that the listeners are not "insiders" in the Ford family and the word should not have been used on the air.
Just a thought.

Although Doug Ford apologized, I don't think that there is anything that can redeem this situation. It gets worse and worse now with the Ford Twins. They both appear to have learned nothing in life, yet they are in office.

I do wonder how it's all going to end up.

"I didn't realize it was derogatory" sums up so much about the Fords.

OMG, what year is this ...
1970's Archie Bunker ???

Just a thought.

there's no defense for using racial slurs.
IMO that even applies to black people using n***** amongst themselves.

Anyone want to add anything?

Here's one baffling move, and one particularly douchy move:

-Had TTC declared an essential service, thereby stripping himself of all power to negotiate the labour contract overhauls he constantly claims are needed
-Following the aforementioned reduction in private vehicle user fess (down by $5) he institutes an increase in TTC user fees (up by $5)

Gee, pardon my ignorance but i didnt know that calling a polish person a "Pollack" was any different than calling a canadian a "Canuck" or an american a "Yankee"or even a Australian/New Zealander a "Ozzie/Kiwi".......its the way people interpret it,
many of my polish friends dont mind it, and sure like it more than being called a "Pole"

Oh come on, I knew that before I entered high school.

Rob and Doug Ford are idiots, Doug knew damn well what he said and what it meant.

The noun Polack (play /ˈpoʊlɑːk/ or /-læk/), in the contemporary English language, is a derogatory reference to a person of Polish descent.[1] It is an Anglicisation of the Polish language word Polak, which means a Polish male person (feminine being Polka). Although the Polish word has a neutral connotation, the English loanword "Polack" is considered an ethnic slur in the US and the UK, and therefore is inherently insulting in nearly all modern usages.

Slang: Disparaging and Offensive (Random House Unabridged Dictionary)
Offensive Slang used as a disparaging term for a person of Polish birth or descent

(The American Heritage Dictionary)

many of my polish friends dont mind it, and sure like it more than being called a "Pole"

Well, Pole is an outdated term and "Pollack" is an offensive slur. The equivalent would be negro and "nigger".

Of course, if your Polish friends (BTW, way to cover your arse with the "I have [blank] friends" remark) use the word "Pollack" it's an in-joke. In fact, if Rob and Doug want to call Renata "the Pollack" in family conversations, that's their prerogative, but they can't say that kind of stuff on the air, and they certainly can't say that stuff on the air as public, elected officials.

Gee, pardon my ignorance but i didnt know that calling a polish person a "Pollack" was any different than calling a canadian a "Canuck" or an american a "Yankee"or even a Australian/New Zealander a "Ozzie/Kiwi".......its the way people interpret it,

Just in case anyone missed it.

This is the kind of language that even Don Cherry couldn't get away with. Shouldn't Astral have a time delay on the Rob and Doug show, given the use of offensive labels and homophobic banter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back