90     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 721     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 530     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lulz! I just remembered, we don't need to speculate about Ford's potential for lawlessness. The following are the potential penalties upon conviction for the various criminal offenses Rob Ford has been alleged to have committed over the years (that we know of):
- uttering death threats (2008) - up to 5 years in prison
- assault (2008) - up to 5 years in prison
- DUI (2000 (?) in Florida) - up to 6 months in jail
- marijuana possession (2000 (?) in Florida) - up to 6 months in jail

All of that's just an aside, though.

You forgot conspiracy to traffic prescription drugs.

He is still well-supported by inner suburbs (from stratcom poll):

Region_________Approve/Disapprove %

Toronto/York___33/63
North York_____56/34
Scarborough___48/35
Etobicoke______49/41

I am a bit puzzled with North York's affection...

He is still well-supported by inner suburbs (from stratcom poll):

Region_________Approve/Disapprove %

Toronto/York___33/63
North York_____56/34
Scarborough___48/35
Etobicoke______49/41

I am a bit puzzled with North York's affection...

PinkLucy; said:
Well, that's not what Ford said on a 1010 radio interview. Hard to believe he might not have his facts straight.

This seems to reinforce that Rob Ford doesn't really care or want to pay attention to the people of the Old city of Toronto.

You forgot conspiracy to traffic prescription drugs.

Was he ever arrested for that, though? I was being careful to only list the allegations of criminal behaviour for which he has been arrested. It might seem like hair-splitting and unwarranted courtesy given the identity of the target, but when draggin someone's name through the mud I think it's important to be careful and accurate.

hard for grass to grow with no sunshine in a parking lot where cars are parked there almost daily for the whole day !

it's probably better for driveways as the car usually isn't there during the day, and the LRT lines should work too.

Just anecdotal, but the parking lot behind my work last year tore up all the pavement and did exactly this.

drivable_grass.jpg

They grew the grass all healthy and then let cars back in. All the grass was destroyed within a few weeks. They replanted everything and did it again. All the grass died again. Now it's just a dirt/concrete thing. Looks nice in pictures

Last edited:
Apparently Ford will get another shot at riding the popularity wave of busting the unions. The terms of the vote are trickling out and it appears to be good news for the city. Only those with 15 years keep the jobs for life provision. There's a 6% wage increase over the term of the contract (4 years).

This happens to be the only issue on which I agree with Ford. The unions have a choke hold on the city which prevents the city from moving forward. The deal was struck and no strikes or lockouts occurred. I'm sure Ford's PR will be in high gear trumpeting this is a major win for and help him get over the recent major losses on the budget and transit.

There's also the possibility that a compromise on Sheppard might be reached and Ford will be able to announce an extension of the Sheppard subway line by a station or two, another "win" for him.

Last edited:
Apparently Ford will get another shot at riding the popularity wave of busting the unions. The terms of the vote are trickling out and it appears to be good news for the city. Only those with 15 years keep the jobs for life provision. There's a 6% wage increase over the term of the contract (4 years).

That all sounds eminently reasonable (and I say that as a former union member). I don't know, however, if "eminently reasonable" is enough red meat for Ford Nation, even if the man hadn't so poorly undermined this "win" by his behaviour on transit.

I agree that the union deal could help Ford's popularity but it's a headline that's inevitably going to get swallowed up by this transit stuff. Timing didn't work well.

As far as the terms of the deal, it basically stands as a wager: the mayor thinks he can save the city more money through contracting out over four years than he can with a wage freeze over three years.

The Sheppard file will reach a fever pitch over this and next month. There are now two diverging groups set to file a report on the future of Sheppard: The group of experts passed by City Council at the Special Meeting and Ford's Executive Committee approved its own today.

I'm ok with this as we'll get the most information out of two competing groups and Sheppard's fate will be very well studied. Another bit of good news is that it will take the spotlight off Eglinton and allow the Province to proceed with planning for the Transit City version.

hard for grass to grow with no sunshine in a parking lot where cars are parked there almost daily for the whole day !

it's probably better for driveways as the car usually isn't there during the day, and the LRT lines should work too.
I'm planning this for my front pad parking in order to best help the big trees out front.

That all sounds eminently reasonable (and I say that as a former union member). I don't know, however, if "eminently reasonable" is enough red meat for Ford Nation, even if the man hadn't so poorly undermined this "win" by his behaviour on transit.

Definitely. From all sounds of the 'most difficult talks ever', it's really a disappointment for those who expected massive concessions and/or THE TOTAL ANNIHILATION OF THE UNION SCUM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back