News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was... beautiful

tumblr_m5y5twPapT1qjehm8.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
If no recording surfaces eventually the media circus surrounding it has to die down and then he wins with his base which could possibly get him a second term next year. As for brother Doug's escapades in the 80's unless the Globe follows up that story will die quickly too. They are both appearing very emboldened again today which strikes fear in my heart.

I think the chances for Ford are very 50/50 at this point. His conduct, and the staff resignations prove there is something unsightly going on behind the scenes- enough to give people some doubt that Ford is completely innocent. At the same time, the crux of the whole debacle still hinges on the video's actual presence- which if real, will really destroy him due to the comment's he's made. Otherwise, what the Star alleges will stay allegations.

As for the Doug, I think he'll get of scott-free.

If Fontana was charged with breech of trust then where's the outrage there?
Who knows ... it's London. I certainly don't care. Nor do I expect those in London to be worrying about Toronto local politics.

I assume Wynne was simply responding to questions put to her? Has anyone care about Fontana's issues enough to have questioned the Premier? Presumably she'd say something similar ... monitoring the situation, not much they can do, up to London Council, will take appropriate measures at appropriate time.

Wynne didn't seem to say anything much other than Ford needed to deal with his personal issues. Well duh ... not exactly a secret that almost all his senior staff have quit over a personal issue.

Or did she say he needed to deal with his personnel issues? :)

Last edited:
Ford says he's hiring new staff in the next couple of days. While this is happening, I think it's fair to say that the primary goal of anybody applying to work in his office is to take advantage of the situation, maybe hear something and get famous doing the media rounds. Nobody can seriously be applying to this job with professional stability and growth in their sights. Ford won't be able to trust his staff unless he hires all of his family.

I would not be at all surprised to see Krista Ford working in her uncle's office. They could spin the line that she has experience as the "market manager" for the Lingerie Football League and toss in some trumped up gig at Deco.

http://www.torontolife.com/tag/krista-ford/

Dollars to doughnuts there'll be another Ford or Fidani in there.

Ah, heck, just pick a name, any name off the Don Bosco roster.

When did Wynne ever say that she was considering removing Ford? All she's said is that she's monitoring the situation. Would you rather her say that she's totally clueless about the situation at City Hall?
You're right that she hasn't come out and said she considering removal but she has said she's looking at all options and will follow due process. Nothing wrong with that. My point is that I don't think we've reached the point where it's an option - save the removal discussion for when any charges are laid or Ford decides to stop working. Part of this is also the 24h media's fault for needing something to talk about when the only thing coming from Ford is "everything's fine."

If Ford believes that everything is fine when he has had 5 staff leave in less than a week, I'd like to know what his definition of "problem" is

Even if the video doesn't show up at this point (and it keeps looking less likely to happen as each day goes by) I don't believe the media will stop hounding Ford. He opened up a can of worms by going after them while treating this like a waste of his time. It's a circus outside of his office with journalists and news anchors camped out there all day. His staff departures show there's soe discontent in there. Every day or two there's something new, they're going to continue making whatever time's left of his term as miserable as possible.

As for Wynne's comments, maybe she will step in if this gets bad enough. Toronto is a laughingstock on the world stage right now, with all of the focus within the city on Ford's scandals. I also find it inappropriate that his brother keeps jumping to his defence.

Wasp14:

Wynne stepping in is a nuclear option that really, really shouldn't be invoked. Beware of winning the battle and losing the war. There are far subtler tools at her disposal that can create significant grieve for Ford. As to the video - well, a straight admission to it would have looked so much better than the extended bloodletting at his office, and the cloak and dagger against his former staff can't possibly end well but in a (ideological) family feud

AoD

Council and Wynne need to stay a kilometre away from this issue until it either finally explodes or cools down. They just need to work silently behind the scene while this all happens.

Otherwise, we'll never stop hearing calls from the Fords that democracy has apparently been circumvented.

Council can just circumvent Ford...this isn't Rahm Emanuel's Chicago.

That's what most of Council has been doing for nearly a year now, well really since last fall and look where we are. Toronto has had world-wide negative media for nearly two weeks, the city is divided & in chaos and Council will be in summer recess is in a month. We need leadership and a vision, almost everything in terms of city building is helter skelter right now.

One commenter weighs in:

As a Toronto ex-pat residing in New York, I was waiting for Adam and the New Yorker to join the fun. But I want to point out a couple mild corrections. The amalgamation of Toronto with its boroughs is not analogous to NYC merging with NJ and Long Island. It is simply analogous to NYC itself, the old city of Toronto being Manhattan, and the surrounding boroughs playing the role of, well, the boroughs. Etobicoke as Staten Island, North York as Queens, Scarborough as the Bronx, East York and York as Brooklyn. The tensions in Toronto are no different than the tensions in New York when it comes to outer borough vs Manhattan on topics like tolls and bike lanes and whose roads got plowed first. And like New York the Toronto Sun (read: Post/News)-reading boroughs tend to vote for candidates different than the Globe/Star/National Post (read: WSJ/Times)-reading core.

The other thing I want to point out is how Ford came to be. The previous mayor was very similar to John Lindsay and his legacy tarred by a garbage strike much as how labour issues harmed Lindsay's record. Ford was a one-note, Tea-Party-esque protest vote to take revenge on the unions and on the progressive elite. However, many of the middle-of-the-road voters never thought Ford and his, er, under-educated mind, would start messing with transit, or urban planning, or the city's libraries, or show up to work every day at noon then knock off early to coach football or host a boorish radio show with his even more boorish brother. He was already finished at the next election. The frenzy over the crack video (and more to the point, his handling of it) is just the icing on the cake.

Scarborough analagous to the Bronx? Has this person ever been to Toronto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back