88     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 454     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 995     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
In The Sun, Ford claims he is already the most effective mayor Toronto has ever had. Also he is going to eliminate garbage bin user fees maybe.

Ford bristled at the suggestion the proposed hikes for garbage and water rates in 2011, is in effect, a tax hike on Toronto residents.

“It’s not fair because I haven’t even been able to deal with garbage,” Ford said. “In 25 days I’ve done more than any mayor has in seven, eight years.

“The garbage fee will be taken care of when I contract out garbage. This year I just haven’t had time to do it. I can’t abolish something that I haven’t had time to work with,” he said.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2011/01/01/16728391.html

Is Ford going to past a bylaw for the 905 also to kill the 5 cent bag charge as there are a number of stores in the 905 charging for bags today?

Ford is looking for buttons to show how great he is.

I only have bought 1 bag since this bylaw came int effect and then I didn't need it as I thought I could not get all the stuff into my packsack and reuseable bag.

I make sure I have my packsack and reuseable bags with me when I shop in the 905.

I only use 1 bag every 2-3 weeks to throw out the non recycle stuff.

Even if the bylaw is change, stores will still charge the 5 cents as it gravey to them.

Ford is always going on about people tell me this, people want this first, people are fed up. Who are these people? How many "people" are there telling him these things? I know a lot of people, including people that voted for him and supported his campaign. None of them have ever called him. I'm thinking he is just making it up as he goes along.

The problem with his just-call-me line is exactly that: If he gets 30 phone calls saying that the should scrap the bag fee, that feels like a lot. But 30 people in a city this size is a drop in the bucket.

He's literally in danger of making all his policy based on the phoned-in wishes of retirees and angry citizens.

Time to call him and ask that the $60 million that the TTC overcharged riders last year be returned to us. Let's see, if car drivers got a $60 tax break, perhaps we can give transit riders a $60 pass break. Say drop Metropass $5 a month?

What's that number?

How can this happen to a World Class City like Paris? Rob Ford might think they are going mad in Paris.

From www.freep.com:

Paris may say 'non!' to SUVs

PARIS -- Paris is planning to test restrictions on gas-guzzling vehicles, likely including sport utility vehicles, as part of attempts to curb pollution.

Denis Baupin, an environmental official in the mayor's office, said Wednesday that sport utility vehicles and old diesel cars are likely to be targeted in upcoming test restrictions.

To any Parisian who drives an SUV, Baupin's advice is: "Sell it and buy a vehicle that's compatible with city life.

"I'm sorry, but having a sport utility vehicle in a city makes no sense," Baupin told RTL radio.

Paris, Lyon, Grenoble and Aix-en-Provence are among the cities planning to try restrictions on gas-guzzlers in late 2011 or 2012.

The Environment Ministry says officials in each city are still discussing precisely how the restrictions would work -- what types of cars would be affected, in what neighborhoods, during what hours or periods of the year. Exact penalties are also an open question.

Many other European cities, including London and Berlin, already have "low emission zones," with varying restrictions on the type of vehicles targeted.

Read more: Paris may say 'non!' to SUVs | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/20101222/BUSINESS01/101222029/Paris-may-say--non--to-SUVs#ixzz1A1Rxx2f3

Unless, now take a deep breath, maybe it is about Paris, Ontario? No, its about the other Paris, the big one in France.

BTW. Paris is an Alpha+ world city, while Toronto is only an Alpha world city. New York City and London England are rated as Alpha++ world cities. Montréal is only a Gamma+ world city. See this link for the roster.

There are so few SUVs in France that it hardly matters. If Paris wanted to deal with polution is should outlaw 2-stroke Vespas and motorcycles, Two-stroke petrol (mélange deux-temps) is available at most petrol stations throughout France. Any engine that burns its lubricating oil is far more poluting (of the particularly nasty stuff) than a modern SUV.

Last edited:
Paris is a horrible city to walk in - the noise from the scooters is dreadful ... even if one doesn't notice the smell. I can't recall seeing many SUVs. It's a surprising contrast to nearby London - both in the noise, and the extent of the graffiti.

As I've suggested in the thread specific to the subject, a real waiting-with-baited-breath test of Mayor Ford's acumen, sensitivity, et al, is how, from a PR standpoint, he handles the first urban "incident" of his term--the Yonge/Gould fire.

As I've suggested in the thread specific to the subject, a real waiting-with-baited-breath test of Mayor Ford's acumen, sensitivity, et al, is how, from a PR standpoint, he handles the first urban "incident" of his term--the Yonge/Gould fire.

He'll probably just make it as easy for the owner to put up something that looks like the Duke's replacement and call it a day (no matter how the fire started).

If Paris wanted to deal with polution is should outlaw 2-stroke Vespas and motorcycles, Two-stroke petrol (mélange deux-temps) is available at most petrol stations throughout France. Any engine that burns its lubricating oil is far more poluting (of the particularly nasty stuff) than a modern SUV.
There are high-tech two-cycle engines that burn very little oil and fuel, even meeting California emission standards. Their advantage is their high power and light weight. The main focus of a scooter is low cost, so it is unlikely they would go this route. Presently these engines are being used in Evinrude outboard motors and Ski-Doo snowmobiles.

Last edited:

Haha, what a laugh - Ford has spent his entire life in a bland area of Etobicoke that has zero heritage architecture within miles. I really don't see where he would have ever developed any sensitivity for such things. If anything, he strikes me as the type who would be all for eliminating old buildings, even for parking lots.

Paris is a horrible city to walk in - the noise from the scooters is dreadful ... even if one doesn't notice the smell. I can't recall seeing many SUVs. It's a surprising contrast to nearby London - both in the noise, and the extent of the graffiti.

Paris is a horrible city to walk in? That's riduclous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back