111     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 274     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Rob was a councillor and then (ugh) mayor, Fords were definitely more in your face. I heard about his antics for years, even when I didn't live in Toronto. Now that he's dead, it's been a welcome reprieve. I only notice the Sun if I see it left behind in the subway or someone posts it here. But there are far too many people who rely on the Sun for their news.

not all of us -- i notice the fords or the sun only when someone mentions them on social media or discussion forums

the rest of the time, i wouldn't know they existed

Yeah, it got really quiet after the funeral. The other newspapers leave the topic alone and even the Sun was quiet about it until now.

Wente's not so much a journalist as someone who tells you about an article she read that she a) assumes you will never be able to find by yourself and b) can't be bothered to summarize in her own words.

and c) turn that article into something that supports her view/position, definitively even when it does not.

AoD

For those who didn't read the Warmington piece, this was the bit I found most shocking:

Screen shot 2016-04-25 at 11.48.41 AM.png

I wonder if "they" kept the bad news from Renata, knowing how it would look if she couldn't show up for the more important funeral. I hope "they" didn't rob her of a chance to say goodbye to her father.

Also, I wonder about the effect on the children of effectively rewarding them for the death of their father, by giving them something he had prevented them from having.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-04-25 at 11.48.41 AM.png
    Screen shot 2016-04-25 at 11.48.41 AM.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 524
You've also got to wonder about the adults who authorized the publication of that picture and the editors who thought it was a good idea to publish.
Blecch. Ford's dead and gone, and yet Worms can't stop bigging him up ... and Towhey's still lying on his behalf.

You gotta love The Sun protecting their market share, as low as it is, with stretching out stories and helping the Fords keep their brand alive. You know it kinda reminds me of the extended families of Superman and Shazam to keep people reading the comics.

In the long run you can't expect a tabloid to print actual news, it doesn't sell as much ad space.

I wonder if "they" kept the bad news from Renata, knowing how it would look if she couldn't show up for the more important funeral. I hope "they" didn't Rob her of a chance to say goodbye to her father.
Fixed it for you. :)

Also, I wonder about the effect on the children of effectively rewarding them for the death of their father, by giving them something he had prevented them from having.
Agreed. Teaching children to deal with stress with "presents" and such can lead to a rocky and addictive road.

Last edited:
Even by the Sun's normal sub-mental standards, parading Rofo's kiddies on the front page with their new puppy and presenting it as actual "news" is downright pathetic. And isn't it simply charming how the Fords are willing to exploit these kids to keep the family "brand" alive? Perhaps Diane enviously noted all the recent coverage of young Prince George in the media, and moved on from her Kennedy delusions to an even bigger fantasy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back