777     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 753     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has any other mayor in the history of Toronto been so relentlessly attacked for his personal appearance?

Grow up people.

Ya, let's just cut everyone's wages because you don't make as much as they do and that's not fair. But heaven forbid we take on CEO's/CFO's who are making millions of dollars a year (plus bonuses.)

You mean the CEO/CFOs that actually create jobs and create value? Private vs. Public. The private sector will pay someone what they're worth. If they're not worth it they get fired or the position goes away. They're getting paid that much for a reason. The public sector doesn't have the same checks/balances.

Cut Police, Cut Fire, Cut TTC wages. It's a great place to start.

Just to humour the idea though, what is the tally of all three combined?

That said, McGuinty is no longer the Liberal leader, and who they have in now seems far more competent and progressive than he ever was (though in fairness, he was light years ahead of the duo he replaced, which might be why I tolerated his failings as much as I did). So yes, as someone who didn't vote Liberal in the last election though in the two before, I am very likely to give the party another chance.

The three (Green Energy, E-Health, Gas Plants) are just the most notable. The key question is how much has government spending increased in relation to inflation for the past 10 Liberal years. It is true that the first three could fund the Sheppard Subway, but the entire package, along with the increase interest payments, could easily fund the required transit needs.

You mean the CEO/CFOs that actually create jobs and create value? Private vs. Public. The private sector will pay someone what they're worth. If they're not worth it they get fired or the position goes away. They're getting paid that much for a reason. The public sector doesn't have the same checks/balances.

Yes, the CEO's who head a company who have had around a 400% increase to their wage (not talking bonuses or stock options) in the past 15 years while during the same time period the average worker has seen a 25-30% increase - not even keeping up with the cost of living index. The private sector used to pay someone what they were worth, today there's a lineup of College and University grads. to replace someone at half the wage as people are "packaged off" in mid-life and sent on their way in order to show a higher profit each year and keep shareholders happy.
My brother happens to be a middle-aged firefighter doing the job since he was in his mid 20's and I know what he makes, it's not a glorious salary. I also know what horrors he deals with most every day and how he puts his life on the line saving stupid people without smoke detectors for a lower middle income wage. He has two other jobs (his wife works full time too) so that they can raise three children and live a somewhat comfortable life. I'd really not suggest cutting his wage or his job, he doesn't make much now and his hall has already taken a few hits in the past 10 years.

Cut Police spending. Cut Fire Department spending. Cut TTC salaries. Privatize services that can be. Do that first.

I can't just ask my boss for a raise just because I want things I can't afford.

There's nothing easier than just saying we need more money. Hey I need more money.

To help cut down on provincial spending, so that transit and roads can be better supported, we should try to cut down on health spending. Health spending is an big expense that taxpayers don't need their tax dollars going to.

Don't live longer. The longer one lives the more health costs go up. Don't get vaccinated, you'll only live longer.

When in an auto collision, don't call 911. That would only result in taking them to the nearest trauma centre. That will only increase health costs as well. Let them bleed away.

Get shot at a bank robbery, don't call the police. We need them handing out speeding tickets to increase revenue.

Stop the unions. Outsource the city hall jobs to contractors, or better yet, to the Far East (Bangladesh needs your jobs).

(Sarcastic.)

Last edited:
To help cut down on provincial spending, so that transit and roads can be better supported, we should try to cut down on health spending. Health spending is an big expense that taxpayers don't need their tax dollars going to.

Don't live longer. The longer one lives the more health costs go up. Don't get vaccinated, you'll only live longer.

When in an auto collision, don't call 911. That would only result in taking them to the nearest trauma centre. That will only increase health costs as well. Let them bleed away.

Get shot at a bank robbery, don't call the police. We need them handing out speeding tickets to increase revenue.

Stop the unions. Outsource the city hall jobs to contractors, or better yet, to the Far East (Bangladesh needs your jobs).

(Sarcastic.)

Amazing ideas! Sure Tim Hudak will love these!

/sarcasm (except for the Tim Hudak thing. He may actually like these ideas)

I am so glad I live in a country where more value is placed on quality of life than saving a few bucks.

My above response answers this question but I would add that Ford probably is expecting Queens Park to do a better job of managing current resources.
After 25 years of cutbacks? Suddenly we can cut $billions more? That's the kind of moronic campaign Rob Ford had when ran for mayor ... and then failed to find or deliver. He promised $billions of cuts (without reducing service), but instead found about $30 million, and reduced service.

Shame we didn't have a mayor who would do that. Our union loving mayor instead raised police wages significantly, and then went out of his way to make the TTC an essential service, thus guaranteeing that he couldn't stop future TTC salary increases either. Not sure what he did with the fire department ... though it's a much smaller spend than either the other two.

After 25 years of cutbacks? Suddenly we can cut $billions more? That's the kind of moronic campaign Rob Ford had when ran for mayor ... and then failed to find or deliver. He promised $billions of cuts (without reducing service), but instead found about $30 million, and reduced service.

I really don't understand how Ford expected to cut $ Billions from the budget when it's only $14 Billion annually. It's sad how easily people have fallen for his lies.

Has any other mayor in the history of Toronto been so relentlessly attacked for his personal appearance?

Grow up people.

Nice attempt to change the subject out of nowhere. There's been little of that lately here, the last comments about his appearance I recall have been him looking dishevelled and out if it - fair game, unlike crass fat jokes.

I like how Peepers tries to 'pivot' too by claiming a time machine to reverse Liberal boondoggles would net us all the money we need. Hey, so would the money wasted on G8/G20/gazebos. On blowing money on prisons for all those unreported crimes? Oh, and how about those F-35s? See, I can do it too!

I guess the few Ford Nationals are having trouble actually defending him so they have to change the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back