331     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 474     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nor do I see Ford's people shovelling money the Sun's way; they are in the same ideological camp. I would be shocked if the Sun didn't support Rob Ford. Any allegations that Ford is sending kick-backs the Sun's way strike me as conspiracy fanaticism. Ford plays fast and loose with many rules but he hardly needs to pay off what are already his biggest fans.

Exactly. Conversely, the Star is already firmly in Chow's corner, I don't hear anyone suspecting them of being paid off by Chow. It's simple politics.

The Sun will support the right, the Star will support the left.

Exactly. Conversely, the Star is already firmly in Chow's corner, I don't hear anyone suspecting them of being paid off by Chow. It's simple politics.

The Sun will support the right, the Star will support the left.

But does Olivia Chow's former press secretary work at The Star?

Fast forward a few years and he could be a button-down lawyer on Bay Street. I've seen purple-tinged, Mohawk-sporting punks morph into just that.

And I'm sure that if in a few years he does transform into a lawyer, he won't be sporting that same hairdo.

re: Photo:

What I am *really* interested in is how many of those who say we should judge that individual on the basis of that photo would say the same for his worship.

AoD

Toronto lawyer Clayton Ruby to appeal Rob Ford conflict-of-interest decision
Sunny Dhillon
The Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Mar. 15 2013, 6:00 AM EDT

The lawyer who led the charge against Toronto Mayor Rob Ford in the conflict-of-interest case that nearly ousted him from office will ask the Supreme Court of Canada to hear a last-ditch appeal, arguing that a lower-court ruling hinged on a technicality and the matter is of “national importance.”

Clayton Ruby will file his leave to appeal to the country’s highest court Friday. Mr. Ford’s counsel will have 60 days to respond and Mr. Ruby said a decision on whether the Supreme Court will hear the case could take months more.

Toronto mayor Rob Ford heads back to his office after an audit compliance committee meeting wrapped up on Feb. 25, 2013. After a statement from the author of an auditor's report and others, the committee decided not to proceed with further action after the report said his campaign spent over the authorized limit during his 2010 mayoral run.

Mr. Ruby, who represented Paul Magder, the citizen who filed the conflict complaint against the mayor, said he was compelled to seek leave to appeal because “holding politicians to account is a matter of importance to all Canadians.”

“When the most powerful politician in Canada’s biggest city ignores everyone – his own integrity commissioner, the council, his own supporters – and hits up lobbyists for money for one of his private interests, well, are we supposed to sit back there and do nothing? Are we supposed to just let it go?
Well, we cannot let it go,” Mr. Ruby said at his office Thursday.

The conflict-of-interest case centred on a vote in February of last year by Mr. Ford to let himself off the hook for failing to repay $3,150 in improper donations to the Rob Ford Football Foundation, which provides football equipment for underprivileged high schools. An earlier investigation by the city’s integrity commissioner found the donations came from lobbyists and a corporation doing business with the city and recommended Mr. Ford be asked to repay the money himself. Council agreed, voting to impose the penalty in August, 2010, a few months before Mr. Ford swept to the city’s top job.

In November, an Ontario Superior Court judge ordered the mayor removed from office, ruling Mr. Ford violated the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act by speaking to and voting on the item.

The Ontario Divisional Court overturned that ruling in January. A three-judge panel ruled council did not have the authority to ask the mayor to pay back the funds.

Mr. Ruby’s 28-page application says the City of Toronto Act provides authority for the imposition of two penalties for a code-of-conduct breach: a reprimand, or a suspension of money paid to the public office holder.

When the city established the code of conduct, he said it included additional powers, including the repayment of money received.

“They [the Divisional Court] said you can’t use that. We say that’s just not the law,” Mr. Ruby said.

The application also says that just because the Divisional Court ruled council did not have the authority to impose the penalty doesn’t mean everything that followed – including Mr. Ford’s vote on the matter last year – was null and void.

Mr. Ruby said the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act was still in effect at that time.

Though he said the case could affect councils across the country, Mr. Ruby admitted having such an application heard by the Supreme Court is a long shot – about 70 are taken each year out of approximately 1,000 applications.

Mayor Ford, who denied wrongdoing, said after the Divisional Court decision he was humbled and touched by the support he received.

However, another conflict of interest complaint was filed against him this month, when it was revealed letters were sent from his football foundation to lobbyists.

Mr. Ford’s counsel last month requested Mr. Magder pay the mayor’s legal bill for the conflict-of-interest case, about $116,000.

Mr. Ruby said Thursday the Divisional Court has reserved its decision on costs.

Mayor Ford declined to talk about the application when approached by a Globe and Mail reporter Friday.

His lawyer did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...conflict-of-interest-decision/article9808543/

Incredibily slim chances, but who knows? Ford's successful provincial appeal was unexpected by many, and he's proven to have learnt nothing since.

And I'm sure that if in a few years he does transform into a lawyer, he won't be sporting that same hairdo.

Exactly. Which goes to my implied point that people change - especially as they move away from their tender, wondrous youth - and that it's only fools who don't expect change to occur.

Not that I believe that the transition to lawyer is to be lauded. Most lawyers, in my experience, are vermin. But socially acceptable vermin! Such is the world we live in.

Exactly. Which goes to my implied point that people change - especially as they move away from their tender, wondrous youth - and that it's only fools who don't expect change to occur.

I'm never argued that people don't change, but only that it's legitimate to glean some insight into a person's current character based on their current choice of hairstyle.

Not that I believe that the transition to lawyer is to be lauded. Most lawyers, in my experience, are vermin. But socially acceptable vermin! Such is the world we live in.

:mad:

:(

Ford vs Thomson, in a nutshell

XvNnBKK5WPRFtfMZH8W11332478800.jpg

Geeez, i don't know if i'd call 40ish% strong support for a mayor. It's surprisingly strong - because we're talking about a semi-literate buffoon of a mayor - but it's not particularly strong by any other measure.

I was just thinking the same thing. Ford doesn't have strong support at all.

For comparisons sake, the supposedly hated David Miller had an approval rating over 60% in his 6th year as mayor. His approval rating only dropped to Ford like levels after the garbage strike.

For comparisons sake, the supposedly hated David Miller had an approval rating over 60% in his 6th year as mayor. His approval rating only dropped to Ford like levels after the garbage strike.
And was back in the 60% range during the summer of 2010, even after the strike.

It's a clear message to politicians. Roll over for the unions.

And was back in the 60% range during the summer of 2010, even after the strike.

It's a clear message to politicians. Roll over for the unions.

Miller didn't roll over for them.

The clear message would be that Miller was actually a good Mayor in the eyes of most Torontonians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back