920     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.9K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not much to say, Jimmi. But things will pick up eventually. Towhey's book is coming. The COI case is moving ahead. And, eventually, there will be the Lisi trial.

Oh, I know. Just saying how fun it was back in the day. I still want to know how that note ended up on my desk!

A funny thing I've noticed. It seems every violent thug/criminal I've known over the years grew up to be a staunch conservative. And of course we have the Fords. Why do you think that is that these punks end up joining the "tough on crime" party?

A couple of thoughts:

1. They do pretty well as long as crime pays for them, but when being involved in criminality turns around and bites them in the ass, they want some protection.

2. They present themselves as conservatives who are 'tough on crime', but mostly on crimes other than their own, which are supposedly more serious and/or as a way of distracting from their own.

3. Some overlap between conservative notions and criminal attitudes re self-interest, moral rectitude ('doing right' by someone, fulfilling obligations, etc.).

Robbie's Recovery? Got me wondering about the Fentanyl thing. A heavy duty supposedly highly controlled pain med often prescribed for (late stage) cancer patients. RoFo sure made a good show of "bouncing back" after his surgery.

The pharmacy that "lost" 14 to 20 packages (no Mr Pharmacist, how many exactly?) of fentanyl is just down the street from me, and it is a very weird place, a methadone dispensary. Up until Sunday the air was alive with sirens, I presumed checking up on 'the usual suspects' in the area.

Hasn't been this bad since they were clearing out Regent Park and the Bangers were breaking into the boarded up buildings.

A couple of thoughts:

1. They do pretty well as long as crime pays for them, but when being involved in criminality turns around and bites them in the ass, they want some protection.

2. They present themselves as conservatives who are 'tough on crime', but mostly on crimes other than their own, which are supposedly more serious and/or as a way of distracting from their own.

3. Some overlap between conservative notions and criminal attitudes re self-interest, moral rectitude ('doing right' by someone, fulfilling obligations, etc.).

Good points. It's funny, one of the proudest (and most violent) Conservatives I know of is Payman. Dude used to randomly beat guys up just for fun!

I can think of someone who could bring back that excitement pretty quickly, if only he'd spill some of those beans he's been keeping to himself.

And yes, I am talking about YOU!

I don't have many beans left to share. A few fun stories I could tell in private but couldn't publish without evidence, etc.

can people have a trial posthumously?

i ask 'cause of kwasi skene-peters. i assume we'll heard about the outcome of the SIU investigation at some point, but what happens with him being a suspected murderer? does a trial happen to prove that or not even though he's dead? i.e. will the family of the non-police murdered victim be presented things to show them the police 'got the right guy'?

can people have a trial posthumously?

i ask 'cause of kwasi skene-peters. i assume we'll heard about the outcome of the SIU investigation at some point, but what happens with him being a suspected murderer? does a trial happen to prove that or not even though he's dead? i.e. will the family of the non-police murdered victim be presented things to show them the police 'got the right guy'?

INAL, but a dead man cannot defend himself in a criminal court of law, so as far as a "fair trial" goes, it doesn't stand that a person can be tried posthumously. But that doesn't stop police from revealing the results of an investigation, in private or public. In the case of civil law, I believe a dead defendant can be tried (in order to determine contested ownership, etc.)

EVB and Everyone:

I took note of this caricature of RF and it looks to be one of the best that I have ever seen here at UT -
Even better then his well known bobbleheads that he is constantly selling at his fundraisers...

This one even has RF's "drunken stupor stare" down pat - I really like this one - Availability?

LI Mike
It's because it's an actual photo of Robbie's face. Someone made a 3D model, used the famous wide-eyed photo of Rob as a texture on that, and then had it 3D printed with Shapeways. It can be found on the Shapeways Marketplace, for slightly over $47:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/2N6BQ5B7X/rob-ford-canada-s-mayor-of-toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back