432     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 602     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should have made the plastic bag fee a tax instead of a fee, with the money going to the city instead of the store's cash register.
They can't

Municipal Sources of Revenue Across Canada

Provinces can raise money only by direct taxation. Therefore, legally the Provinces can only authorize municipalities to levy direct taxes.

The essential difference between direct and indirect taxation is as follows:
Direct Taxation: the person/entity taxed is the one that ultimately pays the tax i.e. the taxpayer cannot easily pass on the tax to someone else (e.g. income tax)

Indirect Taxation: the person/entity taxed is expected to pass on the tax (e.g. GST and customs and excise taxes).
http://www.canadascities.ca/caoreport_062000_1.htm

i agree, i'd also make it more money :D
something like 75 cents might inspire people to buy a reusable bag

The bag fee has been very successful in terms of changing behaviour. I heard something on the radio the other day; if I remember correctly, the retail council (or someone representing retail) said that use of plastic bags had gone down 75%. That is huge given the relatively short period of time that the fee has been in place.

"Aside from those who are disabled which should be in a different program, there are two main groups of people who needs welfare.

The first group is as you said, young adults who are just starting out. While assistants may be necessary for this group, it should be in the form of loans rather than hand out. Young adults have great future earning potentials, so there's no reason to just give them the money. Banks also like to work with young adults since they could be future customers. The government can provide some form of loan guarantee for a fee, I don't see why the government should spend a lot of money on this group.

"The second group is people who are older, but less prepared. The PBS has an article on 99ers, who are people who ran out EI after 99 weeks in the states. Pretty sad stories, but you can see they have nobody but themselves to blame. One guy worked for 22 years and earned near 6 figure salary, yet he lost his everything after only several months. There will always be tough patches in life, the trick is to be prepared for it. The left seems to think people can't be trusted with their own lives, the government has to think for them. I think the government should dispel the myth that society always has your back, then maybe people will be more responsible with their own lives.

There are certainly always exceptions, but they are not the majority.

Work hard, live well below your means, save at least 10% of before tax income, invest wisely, and one will find that when bad luck strikes, one is better prepared. I don't think welfare should just be cut, it should be reformed to target those who have been responsible and really just need a hand. The recipients should be expected to repay the system to make it self sustainable in the long run."

Hey Angel, what makes you such an expert on welfare? Have you studied or worked in the firld or have you been on welfare before? I thought you were a student, just a short while ago. Now all of a sudden you're an expert on poverty. Is this personal experience you're talking about? I'm just curious what makes you such an expert in welfare. From what I remember, your posts on here and SSC, were always about living the highlife, getting drunk/high, traveling the world, studying abroad, owning multiple houses and basically, living a great life but I won't assum that in your childhood, you maybe lived a life of poverty. You could have grown up in the projects, for all I know, so fill us in. Is your expertease from first hand experience or your years of study in Europe?

Last edited:
Raising commercial taxes would be a popular move - as it impacts the fewest number of voters - directly at least.

Increased user fees ... time to start hoarding TTC tokens.

commercial taxes are already disproportionately high vs. residential ... 4x
as someone else noted, it punishes the small business owners who effectively provide the engine and majority of employment of the city.

Nobody who is informed would ever defend raising commercial property taxes as a smart thing to do, but it is literally one of the only revenue tools Ford has left on the table. He's ruled out everything else.

Somehow I think for 2011, they'll pull the bunny out of the hat to balance the budget using the surplus and making some deferrals or minor cuts somewhere to make it work.

As for 2012, I think they will have to raise property taxes to make up the short-fall, especially if he intends to revoke the TLTT.

2011's budget is pretty easy to balance thanks to the previous year surplus. 2012 is going to be crazy challenging, especially if the LTT goes. Several labour contracts need to be negotiated this year as well.

commercial taxes are already disproportionately high vs. residential ... 4x
as someone else noted, it punishes the small business owners who effectively provide the engine and majority of employment of the city.
I agree. It's a terrible idea to freeze residential taxes and let commercial taxes rise.

Only a fool would do this. Which is why I expect Ford and the current council will do exactly this.

And even if he doesn't, I have no doubt that he will cancel the program that Miller had to slowly shift taxes from commercial to residential.

A letter to the editor this AM reprises Howard Moscoe's prediction that Ford wouldn't be able to pass gas in the new City council. OOPS and this from the master of gas.

Actually, despite his claims, I fully expect Ford to cut services.

But yeah, it would be a big problem if he increases commercial taxes. I'm not really expecting him to do that though, given his political slant, but who knows. Personally I think he should have let residential taxes increase mildly instead of just targeting a complete freeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back