1.5K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 611     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
That said, I am not sure why you bring it up here.

I'm not surprised.

You implied that ford cutting the ribbon at the autoshow is a good thing because the autoshow brings money to the city. If you'd actually thought about that, then you would have to agree that skipping out on pride, an event that bring much more money to the city then the autoshow, is really hypocritical of him...and his supporters. Understand?

I'm not surprised.

You implied that ford cutting the ribbon at the autoshow is a good thing because the autoshow brings money to the city

No, I did not imply it at all....i stated it.

If you'd actually thought about that,

I did think about it.......the two examples of events I used were very well thought out. The post I was responding to took objection to the Mayor being at the auto show because of the outward showing of wealth at such events when compared to what the person thought the mayor should be doing (ie. working on the homeless file) the other example I used was TIFF because, like the auto show, it is can be taken as an extravagent display of wealth....I did not think that Pride was in the same category of event "type".

then you would have to agree that skipping out on pride, an event that bring much more money to the city then the autoshow, is really hypocritical of him...and his supporters. Understand?

Seeing how you had taken my omission of Pride (along with thousands of other events that take place in the city) I think I addressed that in my reply to your comment. What part of "I absolutely agree that Pride is a big event for the city and something we should all be, well, proud of. I also can't figure out Rob Ford's reluctance to get involved." are you having difficulty with.

I am not a "ford supporter" I think the man has many many flaws as a mayor.....for that reason I tend to only comment when people seem to attack him pointlessly (like for attending the auto show to cut the ribbon and, gee whiz, wearing a suit and tie) because he offers so many other things for people to critique.

Seeing how you had taken my omission of Pride

Where did you 'see' me 'take' it to?

I understand your post, you had trouble with mine.
You weren't sure why I brought up pride...I explained it to you. That's all.

Rob Ford Has a Terrible Photographer

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/rob-...11071126863_6697005_589053744455929#f330be0d4

4f56abbad02646059ad75a07621536bb.jpg

c2f382ed3a28c5cbd1778704ffbcefd7.jpg

9f84efc692b2a40585072cbea10fbb96.jpg

8480f363392867fc1757819f958fbc2c.jpg

4c184908e05f3ca910306dbc2454ce86.jpg

686c2c5eb1221e440faf77080b315af8.jpg

Ford is asking for legal fees from Magder: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ees-from-citizen-who-sued-him/article8964766/

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s legal team says it cost more than $116,000 to fight his conflict-of-interest case, and after winning his appeal they are asking the citizen who launched the lawsuit to pay up.

As is normal in Canada’s loser-pays court system, Mr. Ford’s lawyer, Alan Lenczner, has filed his client’s legal bill with the Ontario Divisional Court, where the mayor won a reversal of a lower-court ruling that had ordered him out of office for violating conflict-of-interest rules.

The bill for $107,070 in legal fees and $9,335.12, including HST, for expenses such as photocopying, transcripts and phone bills, covers both Mr. Ford’s initial court fight, his request for leave to appeal, and his appeal. In all, two lawyers and two articling students were involved.

In his submission to Divisional Court, Mr. Lenczner says the costs are “entirely reasonable” noting that lawyer Clayton Ruby, acting for Paul Magder, the citizen who filed the conflict complaint against the mayor, had asked for $150,746 in costs for just the initial fight before the Ontario Superior Court. Mr. Ruby has not submitted his costs for the Divisional Court case.

Mr. Lenczner argues that his costs are within Mr. Magder’s “reasonable expectation” since Mr. Ruby states in his court submission that his client was bearing the risk of having to pay his opponent’s legal bills. Plus, Mr. Lenczner says, Mr. Ruby was acting pro bono, meaning Mr. Magder will not have to cover his own legal costs.

Mr. Magder “understood even before the inception of his Application that, if he was successful, his lawyers would receive costs from Ford which they would keep in their entirety. He also understood that, if he was unsuccessful, he would have to indemnify Rob Ford for his costs on a partial indemnity basis but not be required to pay his own lawyers,” Mr. Lenczner’s submission reads.

The Divisional Court could agree with the submitted bill, or it could disagree and order Mr. Magder to pay a smaller amount.

In Mr. Magder’s lawyers’ initial cost submission after the initial lower-court win, his lawyers justified their $150,000 bill by highlighting the “siginificant research” required on the “somewhat vague” Municipal Confli ct of Interest Act, and that Mr. Ford’s “long tenure on City Council” meant sorting through “a large amount of materials” relating to the mayor’s “previous conflicts of interests.”

They also blamed the mayor for drawing things out by raising issues of jurisdiction and whether the city was overreaching its authority late in the proceedings, contesting a move to have Mr. Ford testify.

Mr. Magder, lawyers also blamed Mr. Ford’s inconsistency during the proceedings, which required extra legal research to be undertaken: “The respondent suggested in his sworn affidavit that City staff had an obligation to advise him of conflicts of interests. It was later conceded... that staff were under no such obligation.”

They also said Mr. Ford “failed to recall many important facts during his out-of-court cross-examination” such as whether he received training or guidance on conflict of interest issues, his discussions with city staff, and why he once previously declared a conflict-of-interest at council.

It is interesting. It's as if since the major wringers have been gone through, the spectacle and tension have died off, and we're just left with this...guy. It seems unlikely that he's going to do anything different than what he's already done, and what he has done is rather unimpressive and dull, when you remove all the fury and bluster. So there's him and his trail of petty favours and inert goings-on. Not much to bother keeping up with.

If he tries to pull more fast ones, there'll be news, but I think Toronto's over the shock, then the dismay and worry, and just doesn't want to waste energy bothering with him anymore.

It is interesting. It's as if since the major wringers have been gone through, the spectacle and tension have died off, and we're just left with this...guy. It seems unlikely that he's going to do anything different than what he's already done, and what he has done is rather unimpressive and dull, when you remove all the fury and bluster. So there's him and his trail of petty favours and inert goings-on. Not much to bother keeping up with.

If he tries to pull more fast ones, there'll be news, but I think Toronto's over the shock, then the dismay and worry, and just doesn't want to waste energy bothering with him anymore.
Ah, but the fun is just beginning.

Daniel Dale tweeted today that:
In an email to allies, Rob Ford's office says it'll begin coming up with a "long-term Transportation Strategy" in the next few months.

Amusingly he then tweeted that:
When Ford first mentioned this, a while ago, TTC Chair Karen Stintz knew nothing about it.

The best response was from Gord Perks. Simply:

It will be interesting to see how he proposes to pay for this plan. Anyone know a good dentist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back