828     1 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 739     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 567     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the contrary, they extended the courtesy of not declaring the seats vacant, even though it was well within their rights to do so. In fact, some might say they were obliged to do so and didn't.

Opposite actually - convention is to always permit an extension when requested, regardless of the reason. Nobody wants to be seen as anti-democratic, especially when you might need the courtesy in the future.

Maybe just the dixon area. LOL.
The rest of you should have Domise.

Actually, the Dixon area had Domise's best "non-seniors" poll (the condo towers at 2000-2010 Islington, which also happened to be *John Tory's* biggest enclave of Ward 2 support--it's an island of rich condo people, folks)

Sounds to me like disruption of council votes, or even vote influencing. Grounds to be banned from the gallery.

All the more so if they're "Scarborough debate hooligan" types

ford_mayoral_debate_20140715.jpg

Opposite actually - convention is to always permit an extension when requested, regardless of the reason. Nobody wants to be seen as anti-democratic, especially when you might need the courtesy in the future.

I agree. All I was saying was that when those two were shelved, no one tried to be a temporary councillor like Doug thinks he can get away with.

Last edited:
On the contrary, they extended the courtesy of not declaring the seats vacant, even though it was well within their rights to do so. In fact, some might say they were obliged to do so and didn't.

Both Mammo and Moeser played the game well enough not to caught in the consecutive unexcused absence conundrum....They both were present for at least 1/2 day or one vote and that started the clock again....

There was a House Rep. from Mississippi who got re-elected and was too sick to take the oath of office in Congress, so he was allowed to do it while in hospital. He died and now the seat is vacant.

Also, Senator Mark Kirk (R-Ill) had a stroke and missed a full year before returning to Congress.

This Sept. 1 return date is highly optimistic and ignores a ton of factors. We might be stuck with Doug for a while...

Last edited:
Also, Senator Mark Kirk (R-Ill) had a stroke and missed a full year before returning to Congress.

This Sept. 1 return date is highly optimistic and ignores a ton of factors. We might be stuck with Doug for a while...

No we won't. The prick barely showed up when he was a councillor - unless it was for one of his clients, of course. He may make a token appearance at the beginning but that's it.

Do you guys think there should be an inquiry into the cops' investigation of Ford and co? They've spent so long and so many resources for very little in return. Panelists on newstalk 1010 were leaning that way the other day. They said the whole thing seemed fishy looking back.

I'm kind of torn, because if big investigations must produce big results, well that is open to all kinds of abuse. If you have to justify the time & resources spent on it, there will be the temptation to do things like plant evidence in order to come up with the big arrest. Conversely, some investigations will simply not be undertaken in the first place because the chances of them producing a big arrest are low. Is that what we want -- for the police to ignore certain things? For it to become a game of playing the percentages and only pursuing things that are likely to result in an arrest?

It's possible for "no major arrests" to be the legitimate and correct outcome of an investigation. (I'm speaking generally here; not of Brazen 2.) If the RCMP/CSIS get tips about possible terrorist activity at a mosque, and they do an undercover investigation, and after 12 months they don't find anyone there has ties to al-qaeda, Isis, or any other group -- should they arrest someone just to justify the millions spent? Pick the member with some controversial views (but far from any links to terrorism) and just scapegoat them and have a scalp to parade in front of the public? I would hope not. On the other hand, aren't we glad they did the investigation -- just in case? Or should they ignore such tips because not finding a guilty party makes the public mad about "waste"?

That's scary. How do you know that?

I was sent a notification email. I tracked it to Ukraine. Not sure why they'd be interested in the FoFam. Probably trying to grab other personal info. Glad this site is on guard. Appreciate that muchly.

No we won't. The prick barely showed up when he was a councillor - unless it was for one of his clients, of course. He may make a token appearance at the beginning but that's it.

We can only hope that is the case. I just dread if Doug hangs around City Hall and all of the media just follows him around to get health updates.

Last edited:
It's a grim read, actually. Ford will survive all this and "keep on keepin' on" to torment this city for decades to come. It's just the way it is. The people you think should get some kind of "karmic redress" via illness -- not just for being vile people, but they also tend to play Russian roulette with their health -- somehow they always survive.

Is there a Mascarin, Rust D'eye, Redeye or anyone with municipal law knowledge posting in this forum? If so please tell me if I'm correct in the fact a single elector can petition the Ontario Superior Court to declare a Council seat vacant whether there is a seating member or not. Wow, if so, that is pretty finicky recall legislation
Am I misreading or has my selective dyslexia kicked in because when I read Section 210 and 211 of CoTA that is the conclusion I come to.

just by the way, George Rust-D'Eye is the new integrity commissioner for Hamilton:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...egistrar-and-integrity-commissioner-1.3015773

Check out the comments and the article link posted in the comments. Funny stuff.

Last edited:
I'm kind of torn, because if big investigations must produce big results, well that is open to all kinds of abuse. If you have to justify the time & resources spent on it, there will be the temptation to do things like plant evidence in order to come up with the big arrest. Conversely, some investigations will simply not be undertaken in the first place because the chances of them producing a big arrest are low. Is that what we want -- for the police to ignore certain things? For it to become a game of playing the percentages and only pursuing things that are likely to result in an arrest?

It's possible for "no major arrests" to be the legitimate and correct outcome of an investigation. (I'm speaking generally here; not of Brazen 2.) If the RCMP/CSIS get tips about possible terrorist activity at a mosque, and they do an undercover investigation, and after 12 months they don't find anyone there has ties to al-qaeda, Isis, or any other group -- should they arrest someone just to justify the millions spent? Pick the member with some controversial views (but far from any links to terrorism) and just scapegoat
them and have a scalp to parade in front of the public? I would hope not. On the other hand, aren't we glad they did the investigation -- just in case? Or should they ignore such tips because not finding a guilty party makes the public mad about "waste"?

Good points all. Still.... 24 domestic calls no charges? You know you or I would have had some expensive trips to court at least.

Except that , as noted, a large majority of those who have voted in Ward 2 over more than the last ten years would think it a brilliant idea. One can be sure that Council's refusal to play along will become a Ford Nation rallying cry for 2018.

You are right, pud. We can rant about rules and hypocrisy all we like, but in the end, if they go by the rules and run by-election(s), Ward 2 will elect a Ford -- Rob, Doug, Diane, Randy, Kathy, Doug Sr's remains, Mikey, Doug's Jewish wife or maybe his sick old dog -- doesn't matter.

Maybe it's actually better to make some kind of deal. Like one that spells out in writing that if Rob kicks the bucket at any point during his recovery, Doug's interim councillor status is immediately void, so he can't just stay there. Mind you, then they will just run a by-election and any Ford on the ballot will win anyways. *Sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back