244     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 481     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 296     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
You raise a very good point. There's no universe where Mikey doesn't resign as trustee and run in a Ward 2 by-election.
Not even the universe where he can't speak coherently. Could he really get through a ward by-election without debating? Particularly with the media of the entire city focusing on him, rather than 40-odd races?

Not even the universe where he can't speak coherently. Could he really get through a ward by-election without debating? Particularly with the media of the entire city focusing on him, rather than 40-odd races?

He won't debate, everyone will call him out on it, and it likely won't affect his popularity at all.

After this post I have no desire to address anything Rob Ford-related (it's now such a waste of time).

.. after the Tory victory last night, Rob Ford was interviewed on tv. Ford opined on what Ford Nation thinks a mayor should do: appear in public, filling potholes and such. Honestly. That's being a mayor, as far as Rob Ford is concerned. It's a viewpoint of someone who obviously can't handle the big decisions and who instead goes for the ribbon-cutting. He's qualified (as I once before stated) to do a job in a city transfer station or perhaps be a traffic-crossing guard but the Ford Nationals would prefer him as mayor. Ford Nationals are truly lunatics.

Now I love the way some of you quip that an iq test should be a prerequisite for voting - point well taken and some of us wish that was possible. I observe that so many idiots are returned to councillor positions and I think, well, this is the mess we have, and voters are who they are, and the suburban-urban divide is again very vivid as we ponder the graphics of election results.

The victory for Tory was a narrow one. Tory has the job of keeping Ford Nation types out of power in the future. Tory is intelligent enough; he knows how to do that - and I'm very grateful for his victory. Tory may be the galvanizing mayor we need -- it wouldn't surprise me, to be truly frank with all of you.

Best of luck to Tory.

Josh Visser ‏@joshvisser 1m1 minute ago
And Stephen LeDrew refers to John Tory's wife as a 'trophy wife'

LeDrew must be having a hard time processing Doug's loss.

Doug Fords Ex Lawyer ‏@weneversue 23s23 seconds ago
Loved Doug Ford's prediction that many incumbent councilors would lose their seats - 1 did - freakin' Kreskin, ain't ya, Dougie! #TOpoli

TonyV:

The question is galvanizing what though? I think it would be easier and more productive for Tory to consolidate Chow's 20-something percent than trying to convince the 33% to join his camp.

He said that Doug and Karla looked "elegant" last night. Maybe he thinks pitbulls wearing top hats are also elegant.

Guess the Gucci, Prada and Phillipe Patek made an impression.

AoD

Last edited:
You raise a very good point. There's no universe where Mikey doesn't resign as trustee and run in a Ward 2 by-election. Trustee is just a position to keep him warm while the family waits to push him into the big pond. He'll almost certainly run in 2018.

Unfortunately, ranked ballots wouldn't have desperately helped Ward 2 this time around. Rob Ford won a majority there. It's gross, but it's democracy.
The residents of that ward feel a drunk-driving crackhead represents them...I just don't get it. Maybe handing out free hot dogs really trumps everything else.

At this point we just need Rob to survive/not get Juded out long enough that council can make an appointment vs. a by-election. Allow for some "cooling off" from this election so Mikey the Mute can't ride in on Rob's campaign hearse.

At this point I'm pretty much convinced that we need ranked ballots, term limits and party politics. This bullshit name recognition that everyone seems to ride in on is getting ridiculous.

Strongly agreed on almost all, except for one point that isn't quite a disagreement. More like, tell me your take on whether the pros outweighs the cons on it. I've pondered it too, but I'm somewhat wary about it, but I'm not adverse to changing my stance on the matter.

That is party politics at the municipal level. On paper I'd prefer to keep it without a party system, I do like the concept that a councilor and mayor is beholden to the citizen, just as much as to council and rules and laws.
On the ground reality, party self identification does happen on a wink wink nudge nudge say no more, there is a party participation going on, and not limited to Rob screaming NDP NDP NDP only. Rob was touting his connection to his BFF Harper, Thug openly musing (or deludedly alluding) about leadership of the OPC, Tory's Liberal endorsements. basically it's badly kept secret there is a party politics aspect to municipal politics. I'm not outraged, I know all levels of government do need to work with each other. In theory at least. :p

But how would it be implemented in your opinion. As well, how would it avoid a potential problem of candidates\councilors not having enough independence, ie: back bencher toeing the party line syndrome.

Yes. The Ford Nationalists will vote for anything with a Ford name attached to it, knowing that even if it's a vegetable, it'll a) vote how Doug / Rob / Diane wants it to and b) that it will simply follow Rob's lead and vote no on anything of any consequence. They don't care that it's an insult to the ability of government to operate, because they don't care if government operates if they aren't getting their own way. See the Republicans in the US for details, particularly the Tea Partiers. They either get their way, or government gets shut down. They're happy either way, because they don't want effective government, they want everything to crash and burn.

As odd and unbelievable as it seems, I think Doug did better than Rob would have. Apparently lying is ok for Ford Nation, but ongoing substance abuse issues probably turned some Rob voters away. How so many people can support either of these reprehensible individuals given all of the facts that we know about them (or elect Mutey for that matter) is beyond me.
I talked to someone who said the only reason she wouldn't vote for Rob (this time...she voted for Rob last time) was because of the drugs. But Doug was another story...the same 'saving taxpayers' money,' but without the drugs. I'm pretty sure she only follows Chinese language media and I don't speak Cantonese, so I'm don't know what those outlets are saying about the Fords.

Sample size of 1, I know. But I can't believe it's a unique view.

Yes. The Ford Nationalists will vote for anything with a Ford name attached to it, knowing that even if it's a vegetable, it'll a) vote how Doug / Rob / Diane wants it to and b) that it will simply follow Rob's lead and vote no on anything of any consequence. They don't care that it's an insult to the ability of government to operate, because they don't care if government operates if they aren't getting their own way. See the Republicans in the US for details, particularly the Tea Partiers. They either get their way, or government gets shut down. They're happy either way, because they don't want effective government, they want everything to crash and burn.

They can vote for him as long as they want. As long as we have a weak Mayor system with a lot of councillors so his vote is only one of many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back