166     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 469     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 586     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, but what was Miller missing these meetings for? Was it for other city business? Was it to play cricket?

This article is tremendously lazy because it ignores what these two men were doing when they were and were not at Council. One was putting through policy, crafting a transit plan, and doing other USEFUL things for this city while he was there. The other blusters about 'damn streetcars that nobody wants' (and is roundly ignored) while his trained monkey gives a thumbs down. It's not just about the quantity of time spent, it's about what was done with it.
In fact the trained (?) monkey missed even more votes than his organ grinder. "Giorgio Mammoliti (Ward 7, York West) 26.9 per cent. "

I saw Mayor Ford today and he told me that he will definitely get a subway under construction before the next election and money to repair or bury the Gardiner

BurlOak:

How it got lost is an operational issue that is irrelevant to the topic at hand - which is the appropriateness of the mayor using his power to contact the head of the TTC to inquire/expedite/bitch about the missing bus. No one present at the time would have been able to do except him, and it is certainly wasn't for city business.

AoD

I think this incident highlighted many issues that need to be addressed.

1. Police need better training on when to order emergency buses and other means of securing safety could have been explored (i.e. going into the school).
2. Police and TTC could explore having different degrees of emergency for busses to differentiate when the nearest busses needs to attend, or just a convenient bus.
3. TTC has no way of contacting the busses (and vice versa). If someone has a medical emergency on the bus, help can only be called by personal cell phone and no official means. If a bus is going to an emergency, it should get there and the driver should be able to get directions to get there promptly.

If Ford is aware that a police request is not being responded to by the TTC, it does seem reasonable that he contact the TTC since it is an obvious problem. I do think he should have called someone other than Byford, but this definately a secondary story compared to the other issues that this whole incident exposed.

Last edited:
Burloak:

Beg to differ. I mean, just how many times have a TTC bus gotten lost, and late to such an extent that it compromised the original intent of the request? I think this incident highlights the main issue - which is just why the hell are people behaving the way they are, giving conflicting stories about what had happened and at the same time, recognizing how unique the response to this situation (and not the situation itself) was in an on itself, and what role the mayor had in it all.

If Ford is aware that a police request is not being responded to by the TTC, it does seem reasonable that he contact the TTC since it is an obvious problem. I do think he should have called someone other than Byford, but this definately a secondary story compared to the other issues that this whole incident exposed.

Actually no, that's the job of the police officer - his worship has no authority to do so. I find it exceedingly odd that the police officer in question is concerned enough to call the bus but wasn't concerned enough to ensure its' arrival such that it falls upon the mayor himself to call - and not calling the contact at the TTC responsible for handling these situations, but Andy Byford himself. Nothing secondary about that - you don't have access to the head of the TTC as Joe Nobody.

AoD

Last edited:
I occasionally write for a Toronto based blog called The Same Page and this time around I chose to write about Mayor Ford.

Please check it out http://samepageteam.com/2012/11/07/toronto-the-what-if-city/

Thanks a lot!

You might be interested in reading this article I wrote recently:

Why De-amalgamation would benefit Toronto and the GTA

Toronto did not vote for Rob Ford. An incoherent assemblage of municipalities did. Personally I don't think Northern Etobicoke is any more 'Toronto' than Port Credit. There is no reason why we should be under the same municipality.

Ford is not doing anything at all to raise living standards in the suburbs. If municipalities were smaller or more homogeneous, you would see people like the mayors of Markham and Vaughan being voted in by the people of Scarborough, North York, and Etobicoke. Each corner of our city (which spreads west to Burlington) should have a strong municipal government seeking progress and protecting its interests.

Toronto did not vote for Rob Ford. An incoherent assemblage of municipalities did. Personally I don't think Northern Etobicoke is any more 'Toronto' than Port Credit. There is no reason why we should be under the same municipality.

Ford is not doing anything at all to raise living standards in the suburbs. If municipalities were smaller or more homogeneous, you would see people like the mayors of Markham and Vaughan being voted in by the people of Scarborough, North York, and Etobicoke. Each corner of our city (which spreads west to Burlington) should have a strong municipal government seeking progress and protecting its interests.

I strongly disagree with any effort to go back to separate munis. You'd then have to reinvent Metro, and all that would entail. There are many, many ways to make the City run better without trying to go back to the Borough of East York. For one, get rid of a Mayor who's not in control of council, and get back to city building, instead of city-tearing-down. (And I'd be happy with a right-wing, non-Tea Party Mayor. He/she doesn't have to be left wing, just not stupid.)

According to an article in the Metro, the last time a TTC bus was used to transport people (as opposed to offering shelter) was during the aftermath of the Sunrise Propane explosion four years ago.

Let's see, deadly explosion where thousands of people were evacuated for their safety vs. team of teenaged boys who were required to wait half an hour for a school bus because their football game ended early. Comparable?

Prior to the recent incident with Mayor Rob Ford’s football team, it appears the deadly Sunrise Propane explosion four years ago was the last time a TTC bus was used to transport — rather than temporarily house — individuals in an emergency situation.

Fire, police and ambulance crews regularly ask the TTC to dispatch shelter buses to crisis locations — fires, for example. But in almost every case, those buses act as a warm place for displaced residents to wait until they’re able to return home.

Almost never is the service used to move people.

The last time the TTC’s executive director of communications, Brad Ross, could pinpoint was on Aug. 10, 2008. On that day, a series of massive, early-morning explosions at the North York propane plant claimed the life of an employee and forced about 12,500 people from their homes. The TTC shuttled hundreds to an evacuation centre at York University.

The stark difference between the two incidents — a deadly explosion that sent thousands fleeing their homes, versus a dispute over a refereeing call — has people on the TTC’s board once again questioning the events at Father Henry Carr Catholic Secondary School last week.

“Whether this — an altercation between a ref and a coach — constituted a quote-unquote ‘emergency situation’ is questionable,” said TTC chair Karen Stintz. “In fact, I think there are questions all around here. The police are asking questions. The TTC is asking questions. And I am confident we will not see a repeat of the situation.”

Last edited:

Oh yes - because people who live in the Financial District have so much in common with the people who live in Parkdale - it's all so very coherent in the downtown core.

Get over yourself

If Toronto stopped growing after 1950, it wouldn't be the largest city in Canada. It wouldn't even be the largest city in Ontario. It would just be a small city with a population of half a million. Before 1998, these municipalities had been part of the same county for 40 years, where they influenced each other's growth.

It wasn't too long ago that Parkdale, Rosedale, and Riverdale were suburbs of Toronto, communities established on the outskirts for the elite to escape the pollution of the industrial city. Are you going to now claim that they are not part of Toronto as well?

It is very unfortunate that these parts of the city voted in such an incompetent person for mayor, but let's look at the voting records. Much of the outer 416 and inner 905 still votes overwhelming for the Liberal party. If the only reason you don't consider these places part of Toronto is because they voted for someone different, then you are no better than rural Americans who believe urbanites are not real Americans because they don't vote Republican.

Oh yes - because people who live in the Financial District have so much in common with the people who live in Parkdale - it's all so very coherent in the downtown core.

Get over yourself

I say:

Toronto is highly interconnected. It would be silly to assume, for example, that everyone working in Toronto’s financial district also lives within the Old City of Toronto. It would be equally silly to assume that everyone who currently works there resides within the amalgamated city.

That said, people who live in the financial district and people who live in Parkdale do have many many more things in common than either does with someone who lives in North Etobicoke.

Electrify said:
If Toronto stopped growing after 1950, it wouldn't be the largest city in Canada. It wouldn't even be the largest city in Ontario. It would just be a small city with a population of half a million. Before 1998, these municipalities had been part of the same county for 40 years, where they influenced each other's growth.

It wasn't too long ago that Parkdale, Rosedale, and Riverdale were suburbs of Toronto, communities established on the outskirts for the elite to escape the pollution of the industrial city. Are you going to now claim that they are not part of Toronto as well?

It is very unfortunate that these parts of the city voted in such an incompetent person for mayor, but let's look at the voting records. Much of the outer 416 and inner 905 still votes overwhelming for the Liberal party. If the only reason you don't consider these places part of Toronto is because they voted for someone different, then you are no better than rural Americans who believe urbanites are not real Americans because they don't vote Republican.

I'm not claiming that Etobicoke is not part of Toronto, but rather that Oakville and Vaughan are part of Toronto too and do really well independently. I also think that parts of Mississauga like Port Credit and Streetsville need more independence from the City of Mississauga. Toronto's early suburbs were built around transit, and are not too different in grid-pattern and population densities than Cabbagetown and The Grange, so it makes sense to bunch them together since they occupy a relatively small homogeneous area.

I think that Toronto would continue to grow better if we strengthened and empowered communities instead of making it all about resource allocation. We don't necessarily need to revert to the exact same cities we had before, but if you think that Toronto under Miller or Lastman fulfilled its potential you are in denial. Almost everything wrong with Toronto (from the below-par public realm to the lack of cycling infrastructure, to the stagnant nature of our transit planning, to gridlock) is down to local communities being profoundly devoid of power. This is a terrible political failure.

I've lived in several 'mega-cities' composed by small municipalities and local improvements are much more easily accomplished in them. Cities need to embrace dynamism, and no matter how progressive or intelligent the mayor of the current City of Toronto is, we don't have the political structure to turn the page as efficiently as we should. Mayor Ford is a disaster, but even he would probably be able to accomplish something good if he was working only for the people of North Etobicoke.

The only big issue with cities that use the small-municipality approach is that social inequity often results. That's why it's important that the province does some re-distribution of wealth here and there... we've got that covered in Ontario.

That's naive and quite frankly, immature and selfish. By your logic, Toronto as a city might as well seperate from Ontario, heck, the people living in the financial towers and Liberty village get seperate councillors from Regent park and James town....

That said, people who live in the financial district and people who live in Parkdale do have many many more things in common than either does with someone who lives in North Etobicoke.

Such as?

Your argument not that the Megacity is to large to be operable (such as you are suggesting above), your argument is that people in Etobicoke don't think the same way as people who live in Parkdale, or share the same values. While I grant you a kernel of truth to that, it is largely not the case.

That's naive and quite frankly, immature and selfish. By your logic, Toronto as a city might as well seperate from Ontario, heck, the people living in the financial towers and Liberty village get seperate councillors from Regent park and James town....

Toronto was amalgamated to save Mike Harris' province money, not because it was fair or made political sense in any way. The people of Toronto rejected amalgamation in a referendum.

By your logic, you are equally selfish if you do not want Toronto and Mississauga amalgamated into a mega-mega-city.

With amalgamation it's a case of Stockholm syndrome. People are rising to defend an ill-designed status quo which was forcefully imposed onto an unwilling majority.

I insist, the people of Etobicoke, North York, etc. would be much better off if they could solve their problems without having to ask the rest of the city first for every little thing. The suburbs could finally compete with the outer 905 by lowering commercial tax rates. Etobicoke could focus on increasing connectivity around Humber Bay (long neglected by the City of Toronto), and Scarborough Town Centre might see a renaissance.

Oakville, Markham, and Vaughan can afford to have big ambitions because they have the political independence they require to carry out their plans. Meanwhile Toronto's suburbs are held back by one another and the old city.

Toronto, greater than the sum of its parts, could be much greater if we allow its individual parts to flourish through coherent and accountable governments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back