News   Jul 18, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 927     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh god, YES. So awful.

But wouldn't it be great if instead of that Mansbridge "interview" we got, we got a Frost v Nixon style interview with Stuart v Rob, in the vaaahnyaal caafee'? Intro and outtro by Rex Murphy? Think of the marvelous can-con it would produce. I'm not saying it would be as great as a Pierre Berton style how to roll a joint, or in Rob's case how to prepare a copper pipe to smoke one's rocks. But the CBC has gotta make do with what it's got.

Ann Hui ‏@annhui 45m
Doug Ford's spokesman says he cannot confirm at this point whether Doug will be at Tuesday night's mayoral debate - contrary to report
CP24 ‏@CP24 46m
Candidate Doug Ford will attend the York South-Weston mayoral debate Tuesday night.

Speaking of debates, the one going on now was supposed to feature Rob (he had confirmed his presence), but Doug didn't bother to show up.

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 2m
These undramatic small debates remind us that Tory and Chow agree on quite a bit. Would be different with a Ford here.

Last edited:
OT, so apologies, but the last time I listened to Stuart McLean, he was doing a derivative schtick that ripped off Garrison Keillor. It was a picture-perfect example of the worst tendencies in Canadian entertainment media — i.e. make a poor copy of something that was successful in the U.S . I tune him out as soon as I hear his name. Has he changed?

I don't really know enough about Keillor to say anything meaningful about that, but McLean's shtick is long drawn-out yarns about the time that Dave yadda yadda with endings you can see coming a mile off.

The only time anything about McLean is even remotely funny is when he's being parodied on the CBC.

I don't really know enough about Keillor to say anything meaningful about that, but McLean's shtick is long drawn-out yarns about the time that Dave yadda yadda with endings you can see coming a mile off.

The only time anything about McLean is even remotely funny is when he's being parodied on the CBC.

I guess the difference is that Keillor is actually funny.

Apologies if this has already been posted....this excerpt from an Andray Domise AMA is really worth reading. In it he responds to a Ford supporter who challenges him on Ford's drug use and racism. Here's a highlight:

Rob Ford has two messages when it comes to black people. To us, he says “You’re nothing without me.” To the rest of the city, he says “Look how well I keep these animals in line”. He has taken every effort to keep us dependent on him to his own benefit, and when he’s criticized for it, he wraps himself in our culture and tries to claim solidarity in victimhood. It is the political equivalent of black face. Whenever he has the opportunity to help marginalized communities in Toronto, he steps on us to give himself a platform by voting against any measures that would allow us to help ourselves enough to break the cycle of dependency.
http://np.reddit.com/r/toronto/comm...onto_city_council_candidate/ckm2c4f?context=3

Another interesting bit is this one, in which he mentions a ride through the ward with a male journalist. Any clue who this might be?
I had a journalist accompany me on a trip through Etobicoke, to see the neighbourhoods, and we were chatting. I mentioned in passing that Rob Ford is a racist and he challenged me on that point. He asked, “You don’t really think Rob Ford is a racist, do you?” It was then pointed out to me how comfortable he is being around and being seen with black people and black culture, as if this was some proof that the man couldn’t possibly hate black people. I sat there in my car and listened to someone explain to me - a black Canadian of Jamaican descent who lived in the US South for a time - what racism is and is not.

ETA: looks like Torontoist just published the AMA highlights: http://torontoist.com/2014/09/highlights-from-andray-domises-reddit-ama/

Last edited:
Apologies if this has already been posted....this excerpt from an Andray Domise AMA is really worth reading. In it he responds to a Ford supporter who challenges him on Ford's drug use and racism. Here's a highlight:

http://np.reddit.com/r/toronto/comm...onto_city_council_candidate/ckm2c4f?context=3

Another interesting bit is this one, in which he mentions a ride through the ward with a male journalist. Any clue who this might be?

ETA: looks like Torontoist just published the AMA highlights: http://torontoist.com/2014/09/highlights-from-andray-domises-reddit-ama/

It's a good read, some funny and great Game of Thrones talk too. Domise appears to be a witty, classy, smart, driven in the good kinda way politician. He seems to be picking up a bit more coverage in print media, but I have yet to see him on any TV coverage. Not saying there isn't, I just havent seen it and most media are still following the Frod circus. With saint Rob on the ballot for ward 2, this is a bit disconcerting. Domise nailed it perfectly when he mentioned how Ford got the Kimmel publicity bump. Name recognition is the name of the game here, and Domise needs all the help he can get.

Ford really is the worst kind of utterly oblivious racist - the kind that thinks because he has friends of different backgrounds and they sometimes rib each other regarding their backgrounds, or use the derogatory terms for their own group, it's okay for him to use all the epithets he knows on everyone all the time. The 'everyone's a little bit racist, so why not stop pretending and let's be bigots to each other 24/7?' school of race relations.

Ford really is the worst kind of utterly oblivious racist - the kind that thinks because he has friends of different backgrounds and they sometimes rib each other regarding their backgrounds, or use the derogatory terms for their own group, it's okay for him to use all the epithets he knows on everyone all the time. The 'everyone's a little bit racist, so why not stop pretending and let's be bigots to each other 24/7?' school of race relations.

Unfortunately I feel this has become almost the mainstream default, trickling down from 'edgy' stand-up comics to bad sitcoms to the collective unconscious.

Ann Hui ‏@annhui 55s
Fixing that last tweet (and deleting): Tory will be endorsed by 2 federal MPs: John McKay and Arnold Chan
Ann Hui ‏@annhui 26s
Tory will also receive endorsments from Liberal federal candidates Salma Zahid, Gary Anandasangaree

Chan is the guy who replaced Jim Karygiannis and my parent's MP.

Cynthia Mulligan ‏@CityCynthia 49s
Doug Ford spokesperson confirms Doug will attend Tues eve debate at York Memorial Collegiate, his first as mayoral candidate #topoli

This will be fun!

Last edited:

It's too bad he won't beat Rob but I'm sure he'll have a successful political career in some capacity.

Yeah, I think so too. Who's the MP in that area? Have all the parties nominated candidates for 2015? If not, this could be a good stepping stone for a federal run.

That's my expectation as well - or council in 2018. Many (most?) politicians lose at their first attempt so a strong loss is valuable.

It's too bad he won't beat Rob but I'm sure he'll have a successful political career in some capacity.

I know. It's truly a shame. Domise would be a welcome addition to Council. Not to mention, Rob Ford is not the helpful politician his ward seems to think he is. I wonder if Domise will run again if there's a by-election.

I know. It's truly a shame. Domise would be a welcome addition to Council. Not to mention, Rob Ford is not the helpful politician his ward seems to think he is. I wonder if Domise will run again if there's a by-election.

There will be a by-election at some point, guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back