454     1 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 365     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he gets kicked out of office, can Rob Ford still visit City Hall, network with his brother and Councillors and persuade them to vote a certain way?

It is exactly like being a Councillor. You disdain the job, the institution and everyone you work with, and instead concentrate on high school football.

Yes but there are very specific rules and responsibilities in being a Mayor and Ford should have known better not to miss orientation

Last edited:
If your schtick is that all the other participants in the arena are just a bunch of self-indulgent costly wankers and that any efforts to understand or improve the city are certainly waste of money, rules and responsibilities don't really matter. The man has demonstrated that in glorious Fordity over the last couple of weeks. Football!

That's what I keep thinking. If the mayor could apply the same magnitude of passion he apparently feels for coaching to his day job, it would be harder to criticize the man. Not terribly harder, mind you; he has a penchant for flubbing things all by himself.

Yes it would be harder to criticize him and he would also have a much greater capacity for destruction. We can all be thankful that the man behind the bad ideas is as incompetent as he is or Toronto would really be in trouble.

If he gets kicked out of office, can Rob Ford still visit City Hall, network with his brother and Councillors and persuade them to vote a certain way?

Who said anybody would listen to Rob Ford if he doesn't have the powers that come with being Mayor? Nobody did before while he was councillor. Doug would be equally useless without his brother in the big chair. Watch how fast Mammo, Nunziata and Min Wong distance themselves from Ford once he's kicked out.

Yes it would be harder to criticize him and he would also have a much greater capacity for destruction. We can all be thankful that the man behind the bad ideas is as incompetent as he is or Toronto would really be in trouble.

In fact, that was the paradoxical backhanded "Ford over Smitherman" argument offered by the anti-Smitherman left.

I didn't think he'd be this bad. I thought he'd be widely controversial yet minimally competent. I didn't expect him to actually be utterly incapable of the position. By way of example, I'm not crazy about Harper, I don't agree with many of his positions etc., but he's highly competent. That means I attack his policies, not him. Ford, on the other hand, doesn't even really warrant an ideological/political attack anymore. He's just personally unfit, not matter what his policies.

And any "fitness" or "competence" in his mayoralty, even in so-called carrying-out of the "Ford agenda", is for the most part generic right-of-centre mayoral stuff--essentially, council and his executive carrying it all out as if a John Tory (or even Smitherman) were running the ship. Thus Ford really takes undue credit for his so-called "mayoral successes"--or, conversely, through his figureheadness, makes them appear more lunkheadedly villainous than they'd otherwise seem to all but the hyperengaged hard-municipal-left

Which is why I hope he stays as mayor until 2014. He's so grossly incompetent, that he doesn't have any sway over council any more. And the longer he sticks around, the more he poisons the well for other extreme right-wing politicians who are more competent.

Mammo actually didn't get along with Ford before he became Mayor. He's the ultimate ass kissing opportunist. Once Ford has nothing he wants -- and in fact negatively affects his political career -- Mammoliti will resume trash talking Rob Ford every chance he gets.

From Wikipedia
He also attracted attention due to a bitter dispute with fellow councillor Rob Ford. The two represent neighbouring wards and generally represented the right-wing, but were frequently in conflict, generally over Ford's fiscal conservatism, and particularly over Mammoliti's office budgets. In one argument, Ford reportedly called Mammoliti "Gino Boy", which was taken as an anti-Italian slur. As a result of Ford's comment, Mammoliti filled a human rights complaint against Ford. Mammoliti's son Michael filed his papers to run against Ford in the 2003 municipal election but withdrew at the last moment.[3] In 2007, he called for an investigation of Ford and Doug Holyday after they filed total expenses of $0 and $1,471 in 2006, respectively.[4]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back