118     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 373     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 486     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really must figure out how to do multi quotes at once. Perhaps charming is a better word. Several weeks ago I posited he had charisma and somone chimed in it was more messianic.
I have met him. I witnessed dozens of intelligent people who would never vote for him fawning all over him.. The women wanted to do him the men wanted to be him. We underestimate his " charm, appeal, whatever you want to call it at our peril. A few pages back a poster reminded us all that there will be those who secretly vote for him. I think thats a real possibility

I for one mentioned "messianic", and that of course includes that people want/need to believe for such a thing to succeed, class, financial worth, etc. are meaningless.

"Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something." - Man In Black (Princess Bride)

why would you let someone treat you like that? Why would you want to belong to that???? But many people do.

Yep. Because the need to belong is a powerful one.

JWBF said:
The word you are looking for is "beguiling".

That's a very good word for it as well.

As for MINO's sexual attractiveness. I know, some people will need mind bleach at the thought. But look at the clips of him during the Caribana party. That was the party animal persona, completely comfortable in his own skin, totally in the moment RoFo. Add some more fame or infamy, even a dash of bad boy notoriety. I can see some women being attracted. I've known some dudes who are not Brad Pitt in the physical looks department, but they can turn the spell\charm\charisma\kavorka magic on in person like no one's business.

That's the kind of weird power Rofo has, and again IMO people underestimate that at their own peril.

Last edited:
Kat_YYZ;914477 And it's actually even more powerful if the tyrant occasionally breaks down and you have to prop them up -- makes you feel sorry for them even as they terrorize you. Makes it kind of co-dependent said:
that[/I]???? But many people do.

I've been trying to define it and I think its also because he's a fantasy character. Who among us wouldn't like at least occasionally to barrel through life doing and saying whatever you wanted damn anyone else. Im thinking Karen from Will and Grace (yeah im old) . You don't want him as a son or husband or boss but plan your stag? effffin ay. Its funny if its uncle bob who wrecks every other family function. But not if he can't get a motion through council of the fifth largest economy in North America. But you are on to something about how his victims empathise with him. He falls so often and so spectacularly that he seems a bumbling dufus. Its easy to want to go kind of easy on him. Such low hanging fruit it causes the guilts.

As for MINO's sexual attractiveness. I know, some people will need mind bleach at the thought. But look at the clips of him during the Caribana party. That was the party animal persona, completely comfortable in his own skin, totally in the moment RoFo. Add some more fame or infamy, even a dash of bad boy notoriety. I can see some women being attracted.

Is Rob catnip for the ladies? :confused:

"Mayor Rob Ford top male hottie at Toronto City Hall, survey says
TORONTO - Rob Ford makes you weak at the knees. Seriously. To many of you, he is hotter than a subway car in Scarborough in July."
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/17/mayor-rob-ford-top-male-hottie-at-toronto-city-hall-survey-says

Here is another good quote to describe what is going on...

"I've known Bob Rumson for years, and I've been operating under the assumption that the reason Bob devotes so much time and energy to shouting at the rain was that he simply didn't get it. Well, I was wrong. Bob's problem isn't that he doesn't get it. Bob's problem is that he can't sell it! We have serious problems to solve, and we need serious people to solve them. And whatever your particular problem is, I promise you, Bob Rumson is not the least bit interested in solving it. He is interested in two things and two things only: making you afraid of it and telling you who's to blame for it. That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you win elections. You gather a group of middle-aged, middle-class, middle-income voters who remember with longing an easier time, and you talk to them about family and American values and character." Pres. Andrew Sheppard (The American President)

Yep. Because the need to belong is a powerful one.

That's a very good word for it as well.

As for MINO's sexual attractiveness. I know, some people will need mind bleach at the thought. But look at the clips of him during the Caribana party. That was the party animal persona, completely comfortable in his own skin, totally in the moment RoFo. Add some more fame or infamy, even a dash of bad boy notoriety. I can see some women being attracted. I've known some dudes who are not Brad Pitt in the physical looks department, but they can turn the spell\charm\charisma\kavorka magic on in person like no one's business.

That's the kind of weird power Rofo has, and again IMO people underestimate that at their own peril.

You are still missing the point, Robbie's "power" is given to him by others. You go to the carney to be amazed and astonished, the barker/huckster uses that to get what they want.

So, I wonder if anyone will call out Ford on his racism given the theme of the debate. The other candidates have used kid gloves so far.

You are still missing the point, Robbie's "power" is given to him by others. You go to the carney to be amazed and astonished, the barker/huckster uses that to get what they want.

I understand what you're saying, but I respectfully disagree with you that he's powerless on his own. His power is reduced, sure. Take away the infamy, money, entourage, the adulation of Ford Nation, sure he won't be turning heads as much. He does however have some power on his own. He didn't get to where he is now without having some ability or instinct.

Waaaay better than I could say. And I said it up thread even I like him when he's dancing. When the musicians stuck the mike in his face and he sang full voice eyes closed. Its hard not to envy his( dare I say it here) guilelessness. Thats the everyman appeal even if you know what you know about him . The fords knew what they were doing by skipping dougie and waiting for rob.

Last edited:
"Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac"

-Some dude named Kissinger.

Yes, but Kiss. seemed a cultured man. He looked like he could treat a woman well. RoFo is desperately lacking in the social graces. And the weight...

ETA And what woman would tolerate his crack smoking and excessive alcohol use? He says he stopped, so that's in his favour.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back