2.9K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading this thread I get the impression Ford's days are numbered.

... But if you read UrbanToronto before last election you could have sworn Smitherman had it in the bag.

RC8:

Oddly enough, the normally pro-Ford newspaper comments are being outnumbered by those calling for his head 10:1. I think his brand might have took a big hit regardless of how this court case goes.

AoD

Maybe, but comments on websites aren't a very good parameter of anything. Often all of the comments in The Star stories are written by far-right posters hoping to inflame the media. Impossible to tell whether we are seeing a reverse of that phenomenon in the right-wing newspaper comments.

I have a hard time believing our justice system would make such a bold move. Maybe it's just because Ford has gotten away with so much already.

There's no way he's going to be booted for $3000. I don't care about the means, it's all about the ends.

So what are we going to do on the next election day.....?

Yes vote, but also make sure every sane eligible person we encounter does too.

If I had to lay odds, I'd say it's fifty-fifty. He could easily be given a slap on the wrist.

That said, I too think his brand is looking awfully tarnished. If he was obliged to step down and then campaigned to get back in, I don't think he'd make it back in. No amount of tough talk would help him get the numbers he'd need.

Does anyone know of Rob Ford's charitable foundation has a website, or if there is some way to find out what it does, and who or what it funds?

According to Ford's testimony, the money actually goes to the Toronto Community Foundation and tax receipts are issued. It appears that the Rob Ford Football Foundation is actually a donor-advised fund managed by the TCF (a common and acceptable practice) and is listed in their annual report http://www.tcf.ca/newsandpublications/TCF_2011_2012_Annual_Report.pdf. Any income and grants for that fund should be included in the TCF annual financial filings with CRA -- there are no specific details about any of the funds in the annual report.

Last edited:
Also evident in the testimony is that Ford's Football Foundation is used as a public relations tool for Ford. Like how he showed up at a Catholic high school in Malvern with a giant novelty cheque for football equipment signed by Mayor Rob Ford, and managed to get on the front of Quebecor's 24 Hours. Such activity is a no-no as it is under-the-table election financing and campaigning. He also used city resources for his foundation, supposedly something Ford would be totally against as it involves minor office expenses he's famous for blowing up over. It all looks bad.

But yes, now I understand how his Foundation works. Having the finances go through the TCF is indeed a legit and proper way of running a small community charitable activity.

Last edited:
I've read about half so far. Does the man know or remember anything? Can he ever take responsibility for anything? Mind boggling.

Holy crap. The part where he says "I can't remember what I was thinking of an hour ago" is bad enough.

The transcript would be comical if this wasn't a mayor. He has said he will run again but fails to understand he could be banned from running for public office for 7 years.

Clueless?

All are invited to Ford's backyard party.

Sounds like a sayonara to me. Wishful thinking I know. Anybody here planning to attend?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/art...-ford-wants-you-to-come-to-his-backyard-party

Mayor Rob Ford is going to need a lot of hamburgers.

He invited the “whole city” to his annual Ford Fest party in his mother’s Etobicoke backyard during a radio interview with Newstalk1010 on Tuesday.

Usually held on a Sunday, this year’s barbecue will be on Friday, Sept. 7.

Ford said there would be hot dogs, hamburgers, beer, pop and even pony rides for kids.

“We’ll have a great time,” he said.

When asked how many people he can fit in the backyard, Ford said the event draws “close to 5,000 people.”

“People come and go so it’s not all at one time,” the mayor said.

Last year, hundreds of people, mostly Ford supporters, showed up to the event. Some wore black “Fordfest Rocks” t-shirts.

High-profile attendees included Progressive Conservative leader Tim Hudak, who was running an election campaign at the time, and boxer George Chuvalo. Provincial election candidates from other parties also attended and spoke at Ford Fest.

The mayor also gave a speech, where he recited a list of accomplishments.

The night was capped off with a fireworks display.

Last edited:
I'm still not sure I understand, but is this it:

If I donate $100 to the Ford Football Foundation, the money actually goes to the Toronto Community Foundation and they issue the receipt. But, because the money was donated in the name of the Ford Football Foundation, TCF gives it to FFF and they (Ford) can disburse it as they like (ie. to pay for football equipment for a Toronto Catholic high school). Is that how it works?

Last edited:
Pretty much. Community Foundations manage numerous funds; some, like Ford's, are established to direct funds to a particular cause. If you as an individual want to do something similar, the benefit is that you don't have to establish your own charity. The Community Foundation will generally take a small admin fee. All perfectly legit and common practice

I don't think anyone has any issues about the foundation itself, however Ford's testimony does indicate that he uses it for politica reasons as well as personal ones. (and that he exaggerates about what the fund has accomplished)

The Star: Mayor Rob Ford wants you to come to his backyard party

He invited the “whole city” to his annual Ford Fest party in his mother’s Etobicoke backyard during a radio interview with Newstalk1010 on Tuesday.

Usually held on a Sunday, this year’s barbecue will be on Friday, Sept. 7.

Ford said there would be hot dogs, hamburgers, beer, pop and even pony rides for kids.

“We’ll have a great time,” he said.

When asked how many people he can fit in the backyard, Ford said the event draws “close to 5,000 people.”

“People come and go so it’s not all at one time,” the mayor said.

There's no way he's going to be booted for $3000. I don't care about the means, it's all about the ends.

School trustees got booted out of office when they voted on a labour agreement but have adult children working for the school board. No money exchanged, but they got booted out. See this link.

There are other conflicts of interest possible, such as being a union member and the union is bargaining with the city. If the Ford brothers' label business comes before city council, they would not be able to talk or vote on it, though the business can still go on with other city staff, but without them being approached. See this link.

Last edited:
School trustees got booted out of office when they voted on a labour agreement but have adult children working for the school board. No money exchanged, but they got booted out. See this link.

Thanks for the link....it doesn't say anyone was "booted out"....a bunch declared conflicts..perhaps in fear of that but I can't see where it says they were fired or "booted out". As for "no money exchanged"....I guess the financial interest that creates the potential conflict here is the salaries that the familiy members receive....so, yes, money is part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back