621     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to have a "Welcome back the car" bike rally on Bloor Street. Someone make it happen!

Just dreadful, all of it. It makes a mockery of the dignified and meaningful civil ceremonies past in that chamber.

Cherry's speech is incoherent, though he managed to say "far-left pinkos" three times.
What strikes me about the Ford campaign so far is the repetition of "advance" propaganda: "he's gonna do this", "he's gonna do that". As if it's already done, a sure thing, a done deal and a divine mandate. Always in the future, all these high-pitched promises.

Ersatz power titles like "Captain", "Sheriff", "Chief", etc, in the media aren't exactly perfuming the lily, either.

It's disturbing seeing the naked power-heavy hierarchism of the right appearing. The G20's abuses, Fantino's preening, Harper's theocratic chill, now Ford. It's not just the supposed ideology that's fueling this stuff that has me worried, but rather the "rule by stupidity" fad that seems to be sweeping everywhere - from the telepolitical ninnies in the U.S. denying science and reason, to the Tories here attempting to axe the Census and stupefy dialog.

This is ugly stuff.

The speech from Cherry was pathetic but PLEASE move on! We have more important things to discuss such as the 2011 Toronto City Budget and what major cuts we will see

I'd like to sit here and say I told you so, as we all watch the GravyTrain-wreck start, that we all know will end with Ford either being isolated by council, or resigning in some huge sex scandal involving Ed the Sock.

But really ... the whole thing just makes me feel sad. We all know where this is going ... and I'm pained to watch it.

i've long detested the way Cherry uses his spot on HNIC as a perch for voicing his political ideals. And very ironically its on publicly funded CBC. The producers of the show should have long since put that to an end but I guess they caved to the popularity that Cherry garners. Really though, somebody have some balls and make sure this guy sticks to hockey on the air...

great post by CanadianNational above! I agree completely.

Recently watched a discussion between social critic and economist Jeremy Rifkin and Allan Gregg on TVO where Rifken looks at the history of advances in civility and how they are linked to advances in energy and technology. At the end of each energy regime there is always a backslide in the level of civility and empathy within the society because people panick and want someone to blame. Hate thrives and you get stuff like the Nazi's. I think to some degree this is what we are seeing now with the rise of favour for Conservative governments and politicians. With the tough economic times, people want to turn back the clock and blame progressives for the problems they see. As Rifkin eludes to, these are short lived blips on the time scale of history and once the transition to new energy sources/ new economy the society will see a giant leap forward in civility and empathy. So, like minded folks, hang onto your hats and keep your spirits up while this circus sideshow is in town. It's a desperate attempt by traditional white male power to re-assert itself. It can only fail. The Zeitgeist of the masses will always move forward.

link to the above mentioned conversation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk4Po2Wof6w

Last edited:
I'd like to sit here and say I told you so, as we all watch the GravyTrain-wreck start, that we all know will end with Ford either being isolated by council, or resigning in some huge sex scandal involving Ed the Sock.
Heh. That's rather ironic, after that whole fiasco with Adam Giambrone, god of the TTC.

Anyways, it's all rather amusing watching everyone here have a coronary. You'd think it'd be Rob Ford first given his BMI, but nope. This is the best entertainment I've had in a long while.

Last edited:
Heh. That's rather ironic, after that whole fiasco with Adam Giambrone, god of the TTC.

Anyways, it's all rather amusing watching everyone here have a coronary. You'd think it'd be Rob Ford first given his BMI, but nope. This is the best entertainment I've had in a long while.

Utterly embarrassing... he's made Toronto a joke.. Colleagues in UK are already asking about this... "is this normal for Canada?"

Utterly embarrassing... he's made Toronto a joke.. Colleagues in UK are already asking about this... "is this normal for Canada?"
Nah, it was Mel Lastman who made Toronto a joke, but city council has been embarrassing for quite some time.

Now it's embarrassing for just a different reason. ;)

It's a desperate attempt by traditional white male power to re-assert itself. It can only fail. The Zeitgeist of the masses will always move forward.

The thing is Ford was not "asserted" into office by some exclusive traditional white male mob. This white male didn't - and wouldn't - vote for Ford, and I see no reason to make skin colour an erroneous "cause" of this guy sitting as mayor. Last time I checked, both David Miller and and George Smitherman were both white males. The fact is, Ford is here. The job now is to lessen the damage he will do to the city. He's our very own George W. Bush, and his weapons of mass destruction is the hidden gravy train he believes is lurking all over city hall.

I have a feeling that Mel Lastman will come out looking like a paragon of reason* next to Ford - particularly if this invitation of the hockey blow-hard Don Cherry to city hall is indicative of anything.

*Okay, so Mel could never really be a paragon of reason.

The left needs to tone down on the conspiracy theories and analogies. Similar to how the Bush = War Criminal stuff just hardened up support for Bush, going all Ford = Hitler is just going to convince people that the Irrational Left is freaking out about Good Guy Ford.

There's nothing irrational about thinking what happened today was stupid. It was. It was also a big insult to council and its chambers.

well, the benefit of this is that Ford has probably alienated the entire leftish side of council, which will limit the damage Ford can do.

I'm really wondering if Vaughan will step up and lead an organized opposition?

I think his response on Transit City that was sent out via email today was a very good start. If he can come off as measured, composed and willing to work with others he'll look fantastic in comparison to Ford's erratic and uncooperative behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back