Status
Not open for further replies.
10593405_269184903283682_692740835_n.jpg

http://www.vinevideoviewer.com/p/781402568005146530_1441000404

Attachments

• 10593405_269184903283682_692740835_n.jpg
    10593405_269184903283682_692740835_n.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 723
have been lurking on this Forum since May 2013. I have refreshed this thread so many times I should be tested for obsessive-compulsive disorder (I'm sure the mods must wonder who the hell I am). For no reason at all, I feel close and connected to all of you.
I have been inspired to come out of the darkness by the question of the pronunciation of "Toronto".
I was born in Toronto in 1951, my parents were born in Toronto, 3 of my 4 grandparents were born in Toronto (my grandfather was from Brampton). That is a rare pedigree for this diverse, constantly growing city.
I grew up at Eglinton and Oriole Parkway. Attended NTCI and UofT. I am the epitome of downtown elite yet I still pronounce the city's name as "Toronno".
It is the ONLY thing I have in common with Rob Ford.

have been lurking on this Forum since May 2013. I have refreshed this thread so many times I should be tested for obsessive-compulsive disorder (I'm sure the mods must wonder who the hell I am). For no reason at all, I feel close and connected to all of you.
I have been inspired to come out of the darkness by the question of the pronunciation of "Toronto".
I was born in Toronto in 1951, my parents were born in Toronto, 3 of my 4 grandparents were born in Toronto (my grandfather was from Brampton). That is a rare pedigree for this diverse, constantly growing city.
I grew up at Eglinton and Oriole Parkway. Attended NTCI and UofT. I am the epitome of downtown elite yet I still pronounce the city's name as "Toronno".
Welcome aboard Trish.

Originally Posted by fishie
Of course anyone who enunciates all three syllables as such - Tor-RON-to - is a total tourist.

I must be a tourist.

Moi aussi. Tuh-Ron-Toe, with a light 'er' on the first syllable and slightly snarly hook to the last.

Last edited:
As an English guy who's been living in Canada since 2000, I was originally taught to say 'Tronna', but I've notice it shift over the years. I personally say 'Tronto' with the seonc T almost silent, at least when talking to Ontarians, but on the phone to yanks or brits, the second T is fully formed.

Even so, I want to remind you and everyone else in this forum that Rob Ford wasn't even born in Toronto.

And I don't know about NTCI, but graduates of Northern Secondary were taught to pronounce it correctly.

Last edited:

I bid you hello too Trish. You’ll be invited to the big Rofo-is-Gone after-party at Suite 1735, after I get the key back from Fred Gardiner. :) That man forgets everything when he drinks...

If I hang out with enough east-coasters or Ottawa valley types, I find myself saying “Trawna”. I save “Tronno” for when I’m trying to be elite and uptown. I said 3-syllable “Toronto” once to an Italian-Canadian man on St Clair and he asked if I was talking about Taranto, Italy.

Even so, I want to remind you and everyone else in this forum that Rob Ford wasn't even born in Toronto.

Rob Ford is responsible for the majority of doubts about amalgamation that have emerged over the last 4 years but Etobicoke is now Toronto so I concede, Rob Ford was born in Toronto.

And I don't know about NTCI, but graduates of Northern Secondary were taught to pronounce it correctly.

Some rivalries never die!

Re Toronto...I've always pronounced it Tor-ON-to. But then I've only been here about 20 years. I'm from SW Ontario and get peeved when I hear Torontonians pronounce Detroit "De-troy-it", gosh darn it's DEEtroyt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back