News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 721     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suomi. Much love to Norvege, though.
Likewise. If you ever find any lefse in the GTA let me know where I can get it! :)
Hello fellow Finn :)
Terveisiä toinen suomalainen henkilö! Vanhempani olivat molemmat syntyneet siellä. En voi puhua suomea, mutta en voi elää ilman minun sauna. Hauska tavata!

Greetings from yet another Finn. My parents were both born there. I cannot speak Finnish, but I cannot live without my sauna. Pleased to meet you!

I'd guess that the media is so compliant because significant chunks of it - CP24, CTV, The Sun, CFRB especially, but really most of the broadcast media - want to capture Ford's suburban, working middle-class, family-based demographic. Their "action news working for you" populist approach meshes with the Fords' use of petty annoyances and respect for taxpayers self-mythologizing. Same dynamic with Tory and Stintz, whose strategy depends on appealing to Ford voters, and who won't say anything, even as Ford Nation rapidly shrinks, that challenges the beliefs that led to Ford's success.

This post is gold! Very clear and well-considered, IMHO.

When it comes to the Ford Fenomenon, most of us are asking, as history will be asking: “how did we get here?†Well, how *did* we arrive here, and who did the driving? It took more than just RoFo, who in spite of his RoFo-ness, was still only representin’

The media has had a big huge role. And if we’re not going to believe in a big tin foil hat conspiracy theory, the convergence of interests described by typezed explains the media’s part very well. Something to re-read and think about.

Some good lutefisk for thought, anyway.

Going back a few days ago when D Ford was on about Stintz getting a hold of names and posible illegality thereof...
TMMIS (the Toronto Information System) has publicly available thru computer contribution lists for all candidates for the 2006 and 2010 elections (R Ford had 2698 contributions in 2010 and 60 in 2006)...the only drawback is it is a name and postal code however I would suppose there is a crisscross from postal code to email somewhere on the net isn't there

Last edited:
I vote in that ward. Hope to see you there!

Join me for my official campaign launch

Thursday, June 26

6:30 to 9:00 pm

3030 Dundas Street West
http://www.chrishaskim.com/

Yeah, it is a great place. I have been to a couple of the puppet slams there. There is a spacious resto in front and a bar/theatre/seating area in the back.
OK I will contact them to see if about an art show there. :)

Steak Queen would be funny though....
Or Bier Market.

. And I just learned about puppet slams. Definitely have to get out more.
hello there chaps puppets.jpg

Attachments

• hello there chaps puppets.jpg
    hello there chaps puppets.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 953
Remember, one of Steak Queen's owners was at the campaign launch, probably a true believer.

A true believer in one of his largest customers, no doubt. Maybe catering the event too? The amount of publicity alone they've received has gotta be worth a few cheeseburgers and souvas.

Ah, the benefits of a celebrity instead of a mayor...

Ten years of the CIMA Mayor’s Trophy in Toronto

drew six potential mayors of Toronto to this year’s event, while the master of ceremonies, John Moore of Newstalk 1010, admitted he realized his comment that the next Mayor of Toronto is here today would draw what proved minor criticism from Councillor Doug Ford, brother of current Mayor Rob Ford. Rob Ford has promised to be back on the re-election campaign trail around the end of June.

http://www.canadacricket.com/?p=6154

When it comes to the Ford Fenomenon, most of us are asking, as history will be asking: “how did we get here?†Well, how *did* we arrive here, and who did the driving? It took more than just RoFo, who in spite of his RoFo-ness, was still only representin’
Maybe I'm simplistic, but looking back on it, it seems obvious that a marginal, freak populist candidate benefitted serendipitously from the backlash against a gay drug addict candidate in recovery.

Whether a candidate is progressive or conservitave, they still have to capture enough of the middle ground to win, without pissing off their "base."

If your opponent drives away the middle ground all by themselves, your job is 90% done.

Rob Ford in 2010 got lucky. Too bad Toronto didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back