242     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 680     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if you thought that was my point why did you ask? Honestly just trying to add some balance to a pretty biased thread, just because you don’t agree with what I said doesn’t mean you have to react in a snarky or sarcastic tone. Anyways have a great day.

KingDedede200px.jpg

When can we have King Dedede out of office? Our people deserve a serious mayor, especially one who can make much more realistic plans, not those who search for mystical gravy or propose mythical subway lines to low-density areas, just because some Waddle Dees voted for him thinking that he has simple solutions to complex problems and want to clobber Kirby for being a "pinko." It feels as if we are in Dream Land. When can Kirby save us from the tyranny and incompetence of King Dedede?

Last edited:
So if you thought that was my point why did you ask? Honestly just trying to add some balance to a pretty biased thread, just because you don’t agree with what I said doesn’t mean you have to react in a snarky or sarcastic tone.

You made a specific claim, and when I provided further context, you said that wasn't in fact your claim. That's not adding "balance", that's being disingenuous and arguing in bad faith.

To be fair, Miller received bailouts from the Government of Ontario to cushion a few budget blows. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if Dalton never gave that money to Toronto.

What if Dalton continued to give Toronto as much money as he did when Miller was mayor? Would the Ford surplus come close to or even match Miller's surplus without including the Land Transfer Tax?

You have to consider different factors before you get into the whole 'whose budgets were better' argument.

Indeed Miller received quite a few bailouts from the Province.

Miller and Ford are both not centrist enough for a city as diverse as Toronto. Let's hope a middle of the road Stintz or the like will run in the next election. If the left can't learn from their 2010 mistakes of how to compromise, they'll end up with another term of Ford Nation.

That being said, If the LTT was put to good use, it would have been a great initiative.

Last edited:
I don’t think Stintz would be the answer, a lot of residents won’t ever forgive her for what she did along Sheppard. I think she'd be an easy target for the those in the burbs to mobilize against. I honestly don’t think there is anyone from the current crop that really inspires, because of that I think Torontonians will probably re-elect Ford quiet easily.

I don’t think Stintz would be the answer, a lot of residents won’t ever forgive her for what she did along Sheppard. I think she'd be an easy target for the those in the burbs to mobilize against. I honestly don’t think there is anyone from the current crop that really inspires, because of that I think Torontonians will probably re-elect Ford quiet easily.

It was the fiscally conservative thing to do.

Nobody except those that would benefit from the gold plated luxurious service (or those that could make political hay from it) would argue that, over the next 30 years, spending near $5,000,000,000 and the billions more in interest and the hundreds of millions more in maintenance and operating losses is a good idea if the end result = trains transporting air between two malls.

The only question left is, who is paying you?

The left do not like Stintz, neither do the right. I wonder if she will be in a position again to keep her name viable. As far as I'm concerned, her term as TTC chair is mixed at best. Yes, she played an important role in saving the LRT plans. But over a year, she allowed several service cuts under her watch, which were not necessary due to sudden budget pressures nor ridership drops. In fact the second round of cuts was pushed by her against the will and express direction of Council.

She's an opportunist, not a leader.

Last edited:
It was the fiscally conservative thing to do.

Nobody except those that would benefit from the gold plated luxurious service (or those that could make political hay from it) would argue that, over the next 30 years, spending near $5,000,000,000 and the billions more in interest and the hundreds of millions more in maintenance and operating losses is a good idea if the end result = trains transporting air between two malls.

The only question left is, who is paying you?

according to Dr. Gordon Chong's report which was 'commissioned' by RF et al, it would be 50 years with all the various financing possibilities AND still be $1 BILLION short.

PLUS, to stress again, RF's proposed subway still does not service anything east of McCowan vs. the LRT plan that goes to Meadowvale. So to do the same amount of coverage, the real bill will probably $10 Billion.

Last edited:
No one is paying me, wow Relax. Like I said I get this board is anti-Ford and I understand you have a hard time accepting the fact that people voted him in but please respect the democratic process. Just because it didn’t work the way you wanted to or that certain residents of the city were hoping for the same treatment other parts of the city seem to get doesn’t mean you have to make accusations like me being paid by anyone.

Personally I think subways are the answer. Personally I would have preferred the Eglinton LRT to be buried, and when it comes time to vote I’ll make that known but wow you guys scream and rant about Ford not treating people with respect and equality, yet when someone comes on this board and makes a statement that you don’t agree with the accusations and comments made by the same memebers are quite disappointing and rude.

I get this board is anti-Ford and I understand you have a hard time accepting the fact that people voted him in but please respect the democratic process.

How is anyone here not respecting the democratic process? Did anyone propose a coup?

I'm glad to see there is someone out there handling business and not wasting tax payer money.

Personally I think subways are the answer. Personally I would have preferred the Eglinton LRT to be buried, and when it comes time to vote I’ll make that known but wow you guys scream and rant about Ford not treating people with respect and equality, yet when someone comes on this board and makes a statement that you don’t agree with the accusations and comments made by the same memebers are quite disappointing and rude.

This has been re-hashed ad nauseum in other threads but Ford has clearly demonstrated that he is far from being a respectful person and will waste taxpayers money if he does not get things done his way.

How can he be "handling business" if he cannot come up with a rational business case in funding his Subway? He had ONE year to do so and all he can come up with was *nothing*.

OK, dude, here's your chance: In 50 words or less, how do you pay for billions in extra underground subway, not raise taxes, yet stay fiscally responsible. Go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back