Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doolittle on CBC's The Current

Doolittle on CBC's The Current:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/The+Current/ID/2457148626/

THE CURRENT | May 16, 2014 | 23:56
Eye on the Media: Investigative reporting at the local level - May 16, 2014

As part of our ongoing Eye on The Media project, we're looking at how a major scandal is pursued by the local media. We ask three investigative reporters: Robyn Doolittle, Wendy Ruderman, and Barbara Laker, to share their experiences.

Do you remember how horrified everyone was when Mel's story broke? As if a mayor of Toronto could behave so badly.

I am sure no one was more horrified than he was. He believed the case had been settled in 1974.

There was a certain resemblance:
http://contests.eyeweekly.com/eye/issue/issue_12.07.00/funny/twins.php

Mel indeed had his "quirks", but his era seems quite innocent in retrospect.

"It has been disgraceful, it has been an embarrassment, it has been a year where Rob Ford’s credibility has self-destructed before our eyes. And it has been a year of revelations of a consistent pattern of behaviour that is not defensible on the part of any grown-up, let alone of somebody holding public office, let alone of someone holding the highest public office.”

Councillor John Parker

Spoken like a true statesman.

Last edited:
Ahem, can we stick to the topic at hand re: swearing?

MoD

Seeing how you are a moderator and all, could you clarify the swearing policy?
For example, if I type out "fuck" on some other forums "****" will appear, as they have swearing filters on.
In fact, when people type "f*ck" instead of "fuck" (which is automatically replaced with "****"), warnings are handed out.

The fact that I can read "fuck" leads me to believe swearing is acceptable at UT. Otherwise, all that would show up would be a bunch of ****s instead of all the f-bombs. I mean, we don't all have to go to church, do we?

For example, if I type out "fuck" on some other forums "****" will appear, as they have swearing filters on.
In fact, when people type "f*ck" instead of "fuck" (which is automatically replaced with "****"), warnings are handed out.

The fact that I can read "fuck" leads me to believe swearing is acceptable at UT. Otherwise, all that would show up would be a bunch of ****s instead of all the f-bombs. I mean, we don't all have to go to church, do we?

On some fora, each individual member can change their own settings to allow wearing or not from being filtered. It's always funny to see a post in which you've spouted invective become a sea of asterisks when quoted by someone of a more easily shocked disposition.

Some idle searching has sent me down a rabbit hole... hence my being up at 4:40 am even though I have to go to work in a few hours.

So, I happened upon this old tweet:
@lulu_much Jul 31
I walk into Gourmet Express to get soup and who is sitting there? Rob Ford..in Dixon...just eating Chinese food Lmao pic.twitter.com/gHAg2KTmSM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQiSTQACEAERBaC.jpg
---> that's July 31, 2013, 6:25 pm

So I look up the restaurant. It's at 1735 Kipling, at Dixon, a few minutes from the Windsor Rd house.

So I think to myself: "That's interesting. I wonder if the ITO has any surveillance for July 31, 2013." I find it on pg 276 of my version of the doc (that's the number on the bottom of the page -- it's pg 284 of 474 of the PDF).

The only blue Ford Escape I can think of is Ford's other car (i.e. Renata's car). Sure enough, the plate is BEYW 660.
B97313146Z.120140501144523000GSP5ERRO.21.jpg

It's called "the known blue Ford Escape" but not identified as belonging to Mayor Ford. (I tried to look back to see if it's mentioned earlier in the ITO, but didn't see anything. It's a lot of pages though; and some aren't searchable).

Anyways, as highlighted, the driver "was not observed" and Lisi drives off with "an unknown male".
(then on pg 280 (listed as Aug 1) the Escape was described as being in the Edenbridge driveway next to the Escalade. Lisi visited Ford at home for half an hour.)

But who was driving the blue Ford Escape and meeting with Lisi on July 31? :confused:

Maybe it was Renata? Maybe her and Rat Lisi would also go to the ravine together? It wouldn't be to far fetched that she could have worn a ball cap and some shades to obscure her identity? Maybe Rat, Renata & Rob were in a love triangle? Wife swappin', Hezza, Crack, Pot, Extortion, Driver.
Rat Lisi indispensable... Makes sense to me.

There are times when this thread moves so rapidly that staying current requires an immense commitment of time and effort. I consider myself now schooled in grammar, gangs, ITOs, hard drugs and proper use of profanity. It would be reasonable for us to be awarded an honorary university/college diploma to commemorate this most auspicious time in history. Possible course name: "Introduction to Rob Ford's Toronto: The Underbelly".

I humbly put it to the photoshop wizards within this most esteemed community to produce said diploma. I will display it with pride.

There are times when this thread moves so rapidly that staying current requires an immense commitment of time and effort. I consider myself now schooled in grammar, gangs, ITOs, hard drugs and proper use of profanity. It would be reasonable for us to be awarded an honorary university/college diploma to commemorate this most auspicious time in history. Possible course name: "Introduction to Rob Ford's Toronto: The Underbelly".

I humbly put it to the photoshop wizards within this most esteemed community to produce said diploma. I will display it with pride.

+1 to all this!

Couple questions/comments:

1) Did anybody else read the twitter fight between DoctorB and Mark Towhey? The latter's response is usually sarcastically droll but today he was pissed. I just couldn't figure out what DoctorB's point was - did Towhey (or did he not) call upon Ford's assistant to notify police for drunk driving? Colour me clueless.
2) WTF has happened to John Furr. He has become very angry, very "lash-outy" (because that's a word), and kind of anti-anti-Ford. And he's running for Trustee, which would be a good time to present a safe public front, and not this current persona, IMhO.
3) The Ford-Heroin thing has legs for sure. Did you hear how Mammo stalled and hemmed and hawed about specific drugs when he was telling the story about the guy who wanted $5k to give proof of the mayor doing serious drugs? Blundell had to say "Was it crack?" And then, finally, "was it heroin?" Before Mammo answered yes. Well, the crack usage is old news, so that leaves only one option: Our mayor is on the hezza.

According to Google Maps, Bracebridge is about 40 minutes away from the Greenestone clinic in Bala. It's also about 20 minutes from the reported location of Ford's cottage.

Please consult the Rules of Conduct. Generally it is not allowed. However policing every infraction is heavy-handed - use one's judgement, and relate it to the general tone of the forum keeping in mind that we may choose to intervene.

MoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back