5K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 705     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh neoliberalism is 100% responsible for Rob Ford. And thanks to years and years of education cuts and "streamlining if curriculums" we have a generation of populists hitting voting age soon.

Can I ask generally how people are feeling about MetroMan's "intel" these days?
I think a lot of people lost faith in him all thanks to one word he used and that was "imminent". The first time I saw him use that word was when he said the crack video was about to be uploaded to liveleak.com, which obviously it wasn't. That was pre-Twitter MM so he didn't get that much flack for it, but now he's revealed himself and he lost a lot of followers (not in a Twitter sense) with his "imminent arrest" talk. If only he had said "it's possible he may be arrested soon" or something along those lines.

Dang phone won't let me copy and paste a twitter post, but according to George Sawison (in a conversation with AlexNaylor,)some of Ford's "constituent meetings" were with ML Lumber.

That's vaguely interesting in that Sawision is a weasel who normally goes out of his way to avoid saying anything critical of Ford, but given his usual conspiracy garbage ('The NDP controls the condo industry! The NDP stole my ideas!') it should be taken with a boulder of salt.

I think a lot of people lost faith in him all thanks to one word he used and that was "imminent". The first time I saw him use that word was when he said the crack video was about to be uploaded to liveleak.com, which obviously it wasn't. That was pre-Twitter MM so he didn't get that much flack for it, but now he's revealed himself and he lost a lot of followers (not in a Twitter sense) with his "imminent arrest" talk. If only he had said "it's possible he may be arrested soon" or something along those lines.

He lost me when he referred to his followers as "MetroManiacs" in a non ironic sense...

Here's something new:
http://www.fordslastday.com/
111 rofo last day.jpg

Attachments

• 111 rofo last day.jpg
    111 rofo last day.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 930
He lost me when he referred to his followers as "MetroManiacs" in a non ironic sense...

The guy seemed to have some reliable sources at one point, but that was quite awhile ago. He lost the sources but gained a following. He's been clearly loving the attention, but grasping at straws and speculating to keep his audience ever since. I can't remember the last time it seemed like he had a legitimate inside track on anything.

I don't think this was posted back when it was published in March. But it is a great article, so well worth a re-post!
Also, Dissent is awesome. :)
It details how RoFo came to power and reviews the neo liberal history of Canada, Ontario and Toronto.

The Passion of Rob Ford, or the Neoliberal Making of Toronto’s Municipal Crisis
By Paul Cohen - March 19, 2014

Excellent article, our society is going down the drain and fast.

Doug Sr lost the nomination to Chris Stockwell

Yes, but I believe (although cannot recall the details) that the story is that the OPC would not allow Doug Sr to contest a different riding (after some boundary changes), which supposedly would have enabled him to obtain a nomination.

Anyone?

I prefer the dd-mm-yy format they use there because I'm English I guess. The American one (mm-dd-yy) is horrible because it doesn't go from most significant to least significant or vice versa. yy-mm-dd is ok but as the lemur says, feels like an entry in a spreadsheet.

Standard time format (eg UTC) goes from most significant to least significant left to right (like numbers) so I guess the bureaucratic one is the most sensible though.

(Because I work for both LA and London I always write dates out explicitly as 14 April 2014 or 14 Apr 2014)

Indeed. Remember that in the name of reducing the size of government, Harris reduced the number of seats from 130 to 103 (and now coinciding w/federal boundaries)--thus, Etobicoke went from 4 seats to 3. And that meant, a lot of sitting Common Sense Tories facing each other off for nominations--in this case, Stockwell vs Ford. And Stockwell, with his municipal career and seniority at Queen's Park, had the advantage.

So, the Fords can blame Mike Harris for the premature demise of their patriarch's political career.

Yes, but I have this idea - although perhaps it is a false memory - that the story is that Doug Sr could have contested a different one of the ridings (so would not have had to go up against Stockwell) with a good chance of getting the nomination but the OPC would not support him doing that (because he was no longer in much favour with the party as a major donor).

However, as said, I do not much trust my supposed recollection on this.

Excellent article, our society is going down the drain and fast.

Shhhh! Don't say that around here. A bunch of people on UT say Toronto is doing great and is only poised for greatererer things.

And, whatever you do, don't use the word "underclass" to describe the growing plurality of Toronto's population that are on the losing end of neoliberalism. That word makes people feel bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back