885     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 791     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 583     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding GFL: Garbage in, garbage out by JOHN LORINC @ Spacing Toronto May 12th.
Yet no one can hide from the seriousness of this turn of events: after all the rhetoric about the private sector and service quality, the fact is that GFL, a flesh-and-blood company, hasn’t had the good sense to adhere to the terms of its agreement, either because of poor management or outright greed.

best-hair-shampoo.jpg

Attachments

• best-hair-shampoo.jpg
    best-hair-shampoo.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 909
Indeed part of the problem is that few of the councillors are willing to speak up against what is going on. If Ford had been in management at any private/public company (besides his own) he would have been turfed out a long time ago for any of the number of racist/sexist things he's said.

But Ford isn't an employee of Council. He's an elected official. As crazy as it sounds, absent a recall mechanism, it's better for him to be voted out of office because otherwise his supporters will claim he was illegitimately removed, frustrating the will of the voters in an undemocratic process.

Making him a martyr is the absolute worst thing anyone could do.

I get frustrated with the unwillingness of his peers to speak out, but on the other hand the electorate isn't stupid and doesn't need to be told that Ford's a racist criminal.

As the old saying goes, never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake <-- incredibly powerful tactic as I have discovered in life...

(or to put it another way, if you sit by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies come floating past)

As the old saying goes, never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake <-- incredibly powerful tactic as I have discovered in life...

(or to put it another way, if you sit by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies come floating past)

True. One thing I've learned, though it's sometimes hard to actually do, is not to jump into solving a problem immediately but to consider hanging back and see if it resolves itself. It's surprising how often it does.

It's still a possibility that Rob will be arrested and face charges before the election, right? Patience.

What democratic process? FPTP is only illusorily democratic.

See, for example: Conservative majority in Parliament.

True. One thing I've learned, though it's sometimes hard to actually do, is not to jump into solving a problem immediately but to consider hanging back and see if it resolves itself. It's surprising how often it does.

It's still a possibility that Rob will be arrested and face charges before the election, right? Patience.

There will be charges for sure. After everything that has come to light about Ford and his association with criminals, the TPS are looking rather foolish. Blair is not going to look like a fool because of Ford. Not a chance.

But Ford isn't an employee of Council. He's an elected official. As crazy as it sounds, absent a recall mechanism, it's better for him to be voted out of office because otherwise his supporters will claim he was illegitimately removed, frustrating the will of the voters in an undemocratic process.

Making him a martyr is the absolute worst thing anyone could do.

I get frustrated with the unwillingness of his peers to speak out, but on the other hand the electorate isn't stupid and doesn't need to be told that Ford's a racist criminal.

Total nonsense. Politicians lead. The public follows the example set by others in power, and if they speak with one voice much can be done.

Norm Kelly isn't the de facto mayor because he decided it was the best thing for the city, but because of the actions of ordinary people writing letters to city councillors demanding action. How we seem to have forgotten this.

The silence in the face of Ford's racism is tantamount to acceptance. It's outrageous, almost on par with Ford's behaviour.

So it's impossible for voters to remove Rob Ford?

Yes, actually. It's possible for voters to replace him by voting in plurality (not even necessarily a majority, see: Conservative majority in Parliament) for someone else, but voters are not able to petition for a referendum on his removal. Nor are they able to be guaranteed that any mayor elected was elected by a clean majority of the electorate.

Though....I would still advocate defenestration. Just like my tape players, VCR, and record collection, I like kicking it old school.

Last edited:
I agree re: the silence about Ford's stupid bigotry. It shows a SERIOUS lack of character in councillors and even city staff (City Manager, for example). Denouncing someone's hateful, ignorant, and just plain idiotic verbal rubbish shouldn't be politicised.

reporterdonpeat 9:07am via Web
David Soknacki campaign filed an FOI back in February to find out whether Rob Ford was using city resources on his election campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back