466     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 612     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rob Ford operates on a bizarre kind of noblesse oblige in a minivan. In his final speech at this week's meeting, he spoke of his already well-publicized two or three short trips on the bus and subway as "walking a mile in someone's shoes". He seems to view stepping onto the TTC as similar to Mother Theresa stepping into the slums of Calcutta. His pompous self-regard completely ignores that many other councilors ride the TTC and engage people who are TTC riders daily. I wonder how much his fabled home visits and phone calls are overblown in the same way. Go to a meeting for Toronto and East York and you'll see councilors working quite diligently with constituents who want parking pads and boulevard patios or who are in dispute with neighbours over fences. All small fry stuff, but an important part of the job. How much of this has either Ford ever done in Ward 2? Or do they pick and choose talk radio issues that suit their sense of outrage and then endlessly promote the occasional moving off their ass as fearless defense of the little guy?

The truth of the matter is, it would baffle anyone how Toronto could do something so blatantly stupid as voting in Ford for mayor, when the blatant stupidity was so obvious from the get go.
One word answer, Smitherman.

In his final speech at this week's meeting, he spoke of his already well-publicized two or three short trips on the bus and subway as "walking a mile in someone's shoes".

If he walked a mile in his own shoes, he might not look so silly when he steps on that weigh scale.

“Subway, subways, subways. People want subways.” So say the quotes often repeated, without the facts to back them.

As Hume quite succinctly put it....."Though Ford has yet to grasp it, politics begins where slogans end."

Even if you were stupid enough to buy those slogans during campaign, it must be painfully obvious by now that they were hollow.

One word answer, Smitherman.

So in two words...blatantly stupid.

Smitherman might have been far from the idea candidate, but can anyone on here honestly say that they think he'd have done a worse job than Rob Ford?

Of course, Smitherman is a smarter person and would have done a much better job but the fact is, the last election gave us no good options. There was not one single candidate that I thought was an acceptable choice. (not good, just acceptable) Our choices were just so bad, that I almost understand how someone like Ford could get in. Just watching the debates was painful. It's really sad that nobody with any competence or integrity stepped foreword. I wish Miller had run again. I was a bit peeved with him but he still would have gotten my vote. Yes, Smitherman was a better choice than Ford but I still had to hold my nose, while I voted for him.

Last edited:
Of course, Smitherman is a smarter person and would have done a much better job but the fact is, the last election gave us no good options. There was not one single candidate that I thought was an acceptable choice. (not good, just acceptable) Our choices were just so bad, that I almost understand how someone like Ford could get in. Just watching the debates was painful. It's really sad that nobody with any competence or integrity stepped foreword. I wish Miller had run again. I was a bit peeved with him but he still would have gotten my vote. Yes, Smitherman was a better choice than Ford but I still had to hold my nose, while I voted for him.

Agreed, you and many more of us.

There was Pantalone, who was a viable alternative to the likes of Smitherman and Ford. TheTigerMaster and I had voted for Pantalone in the last municipal election. Pantalone's main weakness was that he did not bring much new ideas, though he admitted that the existing ones are much superior to the new ideas, especially Ford's ideas. Pantalone said that if he had to choose a mayor aside from himself, he would choose Ford, simply because city council can tame him easily (which occurred a year-and-a-half after the election regarding public transit expansions), while Smitherman would create many backroom deals.

It's a unique game-changing event that has had me completely re-think my opinion of what Toronto as a city is.

I came to that conclusion the night he was elected.

Toronto's outer burbs are no more sophisticated than some backwater in Alabama that would vote for Santorum. The only thing that might save us is the inner city's population growth due to the condo craze, and the relative stagnation of Scarborough and Etobicoke. (Sorry folks, but you really are the millstone around Toronto's neck, and if we could figure out a way to cut you loose we would in a second.)

Ford and his brother are swiftly becoming poisonous to Toronto...

....I can't see things getting better for some time. And this is directly the fault of Ford, his supporters and the media outlets that that grossly support him as well.

Best written, most passionately urgent post I've read all year.

Perhaps UT could consider having a "post of the day" feature. This would be a good reason as any to start.

CN, I think you should send that post to the Star (If you haven't already) They would probably feature as their letter of the day. It's that good.

Toronto's outer burbs are no more sophisticated than some backwater in Alabama that would vote for Santorum. The only thing that might save us is the inner city's population growth due to the condo craze, and the relative stagnation of Scarborough and Etobicoke. (Sorry folks, but you really are the millstone around Toronto's neck, and if we could figure out a way to cut you loose we would in a second.)

But we need to work on voter turnout, especially with the younger condo crowd. Hopefully the hoopla of late will encourage more interest and participation in municipal affairs from now on.

Welcome to amalgamation.

We need to revisit de-amalgamation. It's the only way out of this horrible predicament, at least until the inner city's population growth tilts the balance (which may not happen for another 20 - 30 years.) If it's not Ford screwing up this city and its aspirations then it's Mammoloti, or Minnan-Wong or fill-in-the-troglodyte.

Last edited:
I think it's important to try to bridge the gap. Entice more suburbanites to consume more culture and enjoy downtown more and take pride in it, and get downtowners to see some of what the suburbs have to offer. There needs to be a sense of mutual respect and admiration between these groups with different lifestyles.

Except that as I see it, even ScarEtob don't deserve a Ford. To cut them loose from any sane politics is cruel, in a "sure, do what you want, you're dum-dums anyway" way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back